Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
WHAT? The movie portrayed rural areas as bastions of homophobic morons. That was the whole point of the movie. Which liberal stated that and where is the link and what did they say?

I have never heard any liberal state that most single rural/farm guys are gay. LOL. Where did you get THAT from?

What movie did you see?

In general, I have never seen Hollywood portray small towns negatively. They might overdo the idyllic white-picket fence aspect, but negative portrayals? No.

If you would have read the---" I responded"--part , you might have drawn the conclusion it was on an internet forum.

( and you would have been correct)

It was in comments in our regional newspaper and it was posters who are on the extreme left side of every issue who stated single men on farms/ranches having gay lovers is common.

Yup, those same idiots kept posting over and over that Brokeback Mountain was "a lock" to sweep the oscar awards.

Didn't happen !!!!!!!

( I reminded them of that after the oscar awards )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I say make the movies even worse and keep the sheep in the larger cities. More room for the rest of us to spread out and enjoy our peace and quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
We're all dirtbags according to Hollywood. At least that is what it would appear.
It's pretty hard to tell a compelling story without conflict - 90 minutes of watching happy rural (or suburban, or urban) life wouldn't sell tickets. No bad guys, no drama.

The other thing to keep in mind is that all storytelling has conventions. The small-town crazy-evil hick is a fine example - we know the stereotype, the director doesn't have to waste running time on fleshing it out. Same thing with the city slicker thinking he's above the locals (Doc Hollywood, City Slickers, I guess even My Cousin Vinny). Or the external disturbance coming to disrupt the small-town/rural idyll (Arachnaphobia, Signs).

Horror movies in urban settings are harder to pull off. The countryside has at least two good horror ingredients: Darkness and isolation. Hard to do convincingly in downtown New York. The exception is the suburban supernatural horror flick - The Exorcist comes to mind - but with supernatural bad guys, you can pretty much make your own rules.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Contrast makes a plot more interesting. I prefer off center characters, eerie music, and blank stares. Makes you wonder what "they been up to." My favorite "rural underdog" films depict the "small timers" telling greedy corporations to "go to hell," and stick their money where the "sun don't shine."

Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Horror movies in urban settings are harder to pull off. The countryside has at least two good horror ingredients: Darkness and isolation. Hard to do convincingly in downtown New York.
I think it depends on what kind of horror movie a filmmaker wants. Darkness and isolation can be found in downtown too. Look at "Dark Knight" and the Batman movies, "Babylon A.D.", "I am Legend," "28 Weeks," and "Resident Evil," and "Underworld." Okay, so maybe zombies and vampires dominate city scapes and Jeepers Creepers and corn children are found out in nature?

Quote:
The exception is the suburban supernatural horror flick - The Exorcist comes to mind -
The "Exorcist" was filmed in Washington, DC, in Georgetown actually. Not the suburbs.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Okay, so maybe zombies and vampires dominate city scapes and Jeepers Creepers and corn children are found out in nature?
Makes sense - I'll buy that. The settings make for different stories.

Quote:
The "Exorcist" was filmed in Washington, DC, in Georgetown actually. Not the suburbs.
Curses. Scratch one hypothesis.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
My favorite "rural underdog" films depict the "small timers" telling greedy corporations to "go to hell," and stick their money where the "sun don't shine."
Did you watch "Michael Clayton"? Good movie. The "rural underdogs" are good people in over their heads trying to get some sort of justice from a major corporation, with George Clooney playing a lawyer taking up their case and Tilda Swinton trying to obstruct him.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! If it keeps people in the cities and away from me

Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! If it keeps people in the cities and away from me
I've heard those weird country people even skin their mules. Scary!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
I've heard those weird country people even skin their mules. Scary!
CRAZY ain't it

Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
True. But the racism (usually fairly blatant and certainly tolerated) in alot of smaller towns doesn't help the image. I see that as being the primary reason why smaller towns are often portrayed as being full of ignorant people. Racism is ignorance and it makes all of us in smaller towns look bad.
I'd have to agree that there is some racism problems in many small towns. Small towns and rural areas might be more backward in some areas.

Still I think there are many suburbs and cities that have this problem, but have more violence linked to it. I don't like my little mostly white town, and deem it fairly racist, but they don't actually do any hate crimes so far as I know. I can't believe I'm almost excusing them because I really dislike their attitude, but most of the time it's just talk. One family did force their daughter to stop dating a black man and another guy opposed some initiative because he felt it'd bring "blacks to the area", but it's not like stories I've heard of blacks in certain suburbs or cities. Also, for some reason, my town seems okay with Asians. Our current priest is Burmese and one kid who I know at least was racist against blacks had no problem seeking his counsel. We have a Chinese restaurant ran by a Filipino. Interestingly she's pretty racist herself. (I think she said she moved here to "get away from the blacks." The town she lived in was just 8% black)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living