U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,616,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I say make the movies even worse and keep the sheep in the larger cities. More room for the rest of us to spread out and enjoy our peace and quiet.
LOL

That's what I was thinking too!

When I have some city-slicker friend ask me if I think they'll like it in the country I say:
Uh huh, no doubt, cuz you shure gotta purdy mouth!

Deliverance (DVD) - Review - he sure got a pretty mouth !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times

YouTube - Funny Farm - Sheep Balls

You can see a disdain for rural people throughout City-Data. Check the Politics section. We're variously called religious fanatics, toothless hicks, uneducated, you get the drift.

The link is to the Chevy Chase/Madolyn Smith movie Funny Farm.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM

709 posts, read 1,592,212 times
Quote:
You can see a disdain for rural people throughout City-Data. Check the Politics section. We're variously called religious fanatics, toothless hicks, uneducated, you get the drift.
Yet these same people would never in a million years make fun of and consider rural people who live in India, China, Nigeria, or Mexico for example to be culturally backwards.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've noticed this. What really gets me is these appelations are pretty often used on people who live in towns/cities of up to 40,000 people!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
I don't think that is true at all. its just like some take offense to To Kill A monking bird. The characters in that moive show great comprehention and great character. Afterall Uran america is shown as violent;stupid thugs mostly or arrowheads on dope.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,486 times
I don't think all small towns are necessarily portrayed badly, "Deliverance" and "Wrong Turn" focus on extremely remote mountain towns, not just Any Small Town, USA. I can't speak for the others as I haven't seen them. But I think for the most part, while small towns don't get a lot of exposure in movies (neither do big cities if you aren't one of "the big 3" - Chicago, LA, NYC), they aren't necessarily looked down upon.

I live in St Louis, and aside from "Meet Me In St Louis," you rarely see St Louis in movies. Same with several big cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc.

It's annoying that you never see sitcoms based in these "smaller big cities" and that everyone lives in the big 3 on those as well.

My favorite sitcoms;
King of Queens - NYC
Seinfeld - NYC
Still Standing - Chicago
Yes, Dear - LA

Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,212,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Movies like "Psycho", "Wrong Turn", "Deliverance", "Cabin Fever", "I Spit On Your Grave", "Vacancy", "2001 Maniacs" "The Wicker Man" "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Devil's Rejects", etc portray rural and small town America as a place full of crazy hicks who's favorite hobbies are murder, rape, bizarre religious cults, and cannibalism.

These are mostly horror films, or movies with horror elements to them. Rural settings are ideal places for these kind of movies because no one can hear you scream if no one is around, y'know?

I understand your point though, apart from the setting, the antagonists are usually back-assward weirdos and such. A movie that really depicts smalltown U.S.A. in such a perverse way is Gummo. Ick!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
My mother-in-law has a home that was adjacent to the dock that held Kevin Costner's boat in "message in a Bottle", and I think that movie was pretty close to accurate. They said it was in NC but the true film took place in New Harbor, Maine. It was a silly movie and not my type, but I watched it because a lot of friends and family had lobster boats in the movie...and in places you could see my mother in laws home.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
The movie--Brokeback Mountain---had a lot of liberals stating that the movie was an accurate portrayal of rural/farm life as most single guys on a ranch/farm are gay and have gay lovers.

Naturally, I responded that they were idiots for drawing that conclusion.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,371,247 times
Doc Hollywood clearly dispels your theory,OP (I love that movie) and as previously stated, so does To Kill a Mockingbird & OldYeller, Dances With woLVEs, Beetlejuice, Forrest Gump...the list is endless.

40,000 pop. is not even a city. More like a medium sized rural town. !.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living