U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM

767 posts, read 1,845,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd have to agree that there is some racism problems in many small towns. Small towns and rural areas might be more backward in some areas.

Still I think there are many suburbs and cities that have this problem, but have more violence linked to it. I don't like my little mostly white town, and deem it fairly racist, but they don't actually do any hate crimes so far as I know. I can't believe I'm almost excusing them because I really dislike their attitude, but most of the time it's just talk. One family did force their daughter to stop dating a black man and another guy opposed some initiative because he felt it'd bring "blacks to the area", but it's not like stories I've heard of blacks in certain suburbs or cities. Also, for some reason, my town seems okay with Asians. Our current priest is Burmese and one kid who I know at least was racist against blacks had no problem seeking his counsel. We have a Chinese restaurant ran by a Filipino. Interestingly she's pretty racist herself. (I think she said she moved here to "get away from the blacks." The town she lived in was just 8% black)
Your town sounds alot like my town. Not everyone is racist, but probably a good half are and actual hate crimes around here have never occurred that I know of. Its just the idol, ignorant talk of people that makes my town look bad. What ever happened to the small town charm? I can tell you its not in my town. My town is alot of drinking and ignorant conversation for the most part. Beyond that, there isn't much. It would be the stereotypical kind of Hollywood set for some kind of bizarre C-run movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,288,026 times
In fairness my Mom says they were worse drunks when she was young. Although she says it was "different" in that back then the drunks were old men and not teenagers like now. (I know of several people who have essentially "burned out" on getting drunk by the time they're 21)

Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
In fairness my Mom says they were worse drunks when she was young. Although she says it was "different" in that back then the drunks were old men and not teenagers like now. (I know of several people who have essentially "burned out" on getting drunk by the time they're 21)
Alot of kids who get caught up in the heavy drinking at a very young age never leave small towns and end up in dead end jobs or on some kind of permanent disability. I know of several people like that who are now in their 30s and 40s who even still live at home with Mom and Dad because they are drunks and are not capable of making it on their own. I am not oppposed to having a few drinks from time to time. But that's pathetic.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
That is common in citeis too. Many tho endup dead period in many big cities.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Teen drinking/drug use is an issue everywhere. I think it it's more noticeable in rural areas because of the idealized image many people, most who have spent very little there, hve of rural/farming areas. Let's face it, one of the US icons is the self reliant farmer prevailing against weather, pests and bankers. Having started out life on a dairy farm I know that the image is not necessarily true. Having grown up in a rural area, and living now in a mostly one, alcohol and drugs were then, and are still now, a major issue. Here about 1/2 the drug arrests are people in my age group, I'm 55. Growing up in rural PA alcohol was readily available 40 years ago-and I mean store bought not homemade.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is common in cities too. Many tho endup dead period in many big cities.
Well yes and I think it likely varies from town to town or culture to culture. I spent my first years in a little town in the South. People drank, but they went "cross county lines" to do so. Maybe that was more dangerous, but the upshot of it was you didn't get many drunks in town. As a kid my first experience with "life in a Northern town" was kids peeing in the street and destroying our swing-set on Halloween. That might be part of why I've never warmed to the town.

It also likely varies from city to city. The statistics here would seem to indicate that Chicago is likely much more of a drinking-city than Phoenix.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 AM

214 posts, read 927,518 times
Before coming to NYC, I spent a year in Burlington, VT (pop. 39,000 -- just under the capacities of the new CitiField and Yankee Stadiums). I left because of the lack of things to do and jobs to support a career. But otherwise, I actually felt that the people there, the variety and openness of the thoughts/ideas, seemed more like a major cosmopolitan city... sometimes even more so than many neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Well yes and I think it likely varies from town to town or culture to culture. I spent my first years in a little town in the South. People drank, but they went "cross county lines" to do so. Maybe that was more dangerous, but the upshot of it was you didn't get many drunks in town. As a kid my first experience with "life in a Northern town" was kids peeing in the street and destroying our swing-set on Halloween. That might be part of why I've never warmed to the town.

It also likely varies from city to city. The statistics here would seem to indicate that Chicago is likely much more of a drinking-city than Phoenix.
I could be wrong. But it seems to me that alcohol consumption in general is higher in most parts of the North than it is in the South. When I was in college in WI, lots of people drank prettty much every night. But when I went to school in Kentucky, drinking was far less prevalent and frowned upon by alot of people. I think it might be the bible belt influence of the South. In the North, drinking is accepted socially (in prettty much all circles). But, in the South, I think that people who drink are kind of viewed as being the renegades of society. I would expect that to be even more true in smaller towns.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM

4,645 posts, read 5,159,938 times
I have heard people say "I am just a social drinker." The problem is : they are always socializing.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,355,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I have heard people say "I am just a social drinker." The problem is : they are always socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living