Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,785 times

Advertisements

Oh, wow...another person who thinks small town living is all peachy and roses and rainbows and lollipops.

If you've never lived in a small town and moving, you are in for a shock. People truly are in denial about small town living.

If you move to your average small town, lock your doors - don't let the criminals teach you a lesson. I knew guys growing up in my small town that would be patting your back and using the other hand to take the wallet out of your back pocket.

Drugs are rampant in small towns - meth, painkillers, marijuana, binge drinking, etc.

My sister who is from my small town and lives out in what would be considered "the country" (outside city limits by a couple of miles) got robbed absolutely blind in broad daylight.

My goodness, as soon as I think I'm enjoying the Rural forum I read some crap like this stereotyping the city AND stereotyping a small town as a utopia. Wake up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Well they should look at themselves first, for crime rates, murder, occults and cannabalism before mocking smaller towns where many can still leave doors unlocked and a simple handshake works better than a written contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Oh, wow...another person who thinks small town living is all peachy and roses and rainbows and lollipops.

If you've never lived in a small town and moving, you are in for a shock. People truly are in denial about small town living.

If you move to your average small town, lock your doors - don't let the criminals teach you a lesson. I knew guys growing up in my small town that would be patting your back and using the other hand to take the wallet out of your back pocket.

Drugs are rampant in small towns - meth, painkillers, marijuana, binge drinking, etc.

My sister who is from my small town and lives out in what would be considered "the country" (outside city limits by a couple of miles) got robbed absolutely blind in broad daylight.

My goodness, as soon as I think I'm enjoying the Rural forum I read some crap like this stereotyping the city AND stereotyping a small town as a utopia. Wake up.
Here's what I don't understand....if you are so bitter and hate filled against rural living,the people and the communities,WHY DO YOU POST HERE with the hundreds of other forums available for you to post in on this site?

Just like arguing or what?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
I finally get it now. And you know what, I'm sorry for you AJ that you grew up in a place like you did.

I looked at some of the crime stats posted on city-data. In terms of the crime index, the U.S. average is 320.9 (the higher the number, the more crime there is). In the small towns in my area, for the most recent year available, the index numbers were 83.9, 183.9, 167.1, 211.0 and 76.1.

But then I checked this little place in Illinois called Benton, and found that its index was a whopping 439.9. That's more than five times as some places around me, and about 2.5 times as much as my own little town.

That's sucks, and I understand a whole lot more how you base your small-town views. Every place is different, and it's just a matter of which piece of the puzzle you're handed.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Small towns vary just like cities vary. Lamar, South Carolina seems fairly crime-ridden while Salem, Indiana was relatively crime free. (I also considered Cando, ND as Salem might be too big to count seeing as it has 6,500 people. Or it might be too close to Louisville, Kentucky to count)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lamar-South-Carolina.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Salem-Indiana.html

Alcohol and meth are problems in many small towns though. Still it might be a matter of visibility. I imagine many large cities are full of drunks, but there's so much else going on maybe they're not as noticeable.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Well, Hollywood seldom gets anything right except by chance. Talk to a real cop, it ain't like Hollywood shows it, real military people, ditto. Even the movie about the guy who played Superman on TV, I forget the names, it was almost a documentary showing 3 possible endings - but, no, they had to throw in a scene where a kid wants to shoot the guy with a revolver (revolver so you can see the menacing bullets in the cylinder, so you know it's loaded..)to see the bullet bounce off Superman's chest....just had to throw that one in, just had to. And "300". FFS. The actual story is good enough without embellishment, but, no they turn it into something out of a video game.

So, why should they get rural life right?!

So why would they, I ask you?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You can see a disdain for rural people throughout City-Data. Check the Politics section. We're variously called religious fanatics, toothless hicks, uneducated, you get the drift.
Over in the Missouri Forum, there are way too many city folks who think they want to move to the quaint hills of the Ozarks to become rural and live the peaceful, quiet life.

Then when they get here they complain because all their hillbilly neighbors invite them to church and they consider that fanaticism, there isn't a Starbucks anywhere near, small towns don't have shopping malls and our rural idea of culture is school plays and bluegrass concerts.

Then when rural folks give up and leave them alone, they call us rude and standoffish.

Stay in the city, metro folks, and we'll all be happier.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Well, I believe there is a general condescension towards small town life and people from Hollywood...at times a kind of "Isn't he cute" kind of thing. Either that or a complete dismissal of small town/rural people as irrelevant. Dammit, I don't wannna be cute, quaint, and certainly not irrelevant.

Yeah, Hollywood's great at stereotyping--rural and city folks. I remember as a teen 30 some years ago going to NY city for the first time...I was scared to go due to what I'd seen. (There were places they were right! But overall, no.) Again, due to stereotyping.

One addition we in the South often notice--if Hollywood wants to portray a hick, redneck, racist, etc., they usually give them a Southern accent--as if we have a corner on that market. Then to add insult to injury, they get some Yankee (any non-Southerner to you folks not from the South--don't take it as an insult) actor who then does a veeeerrrryyy poor job with the accent. Shoot, at least hire a Southerner!

Thomas R above had it right...small towns vary just like cities. I've lived in small towns where I swear everyone was a saint...wonderful, fantastic amazing people.
Then there was one town I lived in out west where I swear everyone was just absolute pond scum. I remember one of the town boosters telling me that all the place needed was a few good people and water.

I told him that's all Hell needed, too.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM

185 posts, read 648,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
We're all dirtbags according to Hollywood. At least that is what it would appear.
Thats what I was going to say, Hollywood is an equal opportunity hater, and they seem to love destroying my hometown, does NYC have to get destroyed in every other fantasy/scifi flick.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM

323 posts, read 835,226 times
I recently saw a trailer for Did You Hear About the Morgans? and it made me sick. Same stereotypes mentioned on this thread. Hollywood is the same as Washington. Run by people who don't have a clue.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You can see a disdain for rural people throughout City-Data. Check the Politics section. We're variously called religious fanatics, toothless hicks, uneducated, you get the drift.
Almost as much hate as there is for New Jersians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living