U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,807,008 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Funny when I first moved here the first thing I was told Don't be calling no Law we take care of our own problems.And I have heard of Sheriff Deputies get in trouble for driving up here.

Things that have happen Neighbor set woods on fire,then shot down State Forestry Plane.

Neighbor got into it with other Neighbor,Guy comes home and all his Hogs are dead.

Woman that owned the Store tried to get someone to burn a Guy out.Next thing I know his place is burnt to the ground.The store owner has long passed away.

Knew of Woman that traded Sex for Fence Post.

Guy got mad at Conservation Department for Ticketing him for Poaching so he Gut shot 68 Deer.

Some nut camped by me.Set the woods on fire the Forestry found him swimming naked in my spring.

Had some Guys squating on Goverment Land everyone was scared of them.

Had a Guy tell me not to go anywhere close to his place because he had Marijuana planted there.

We can not go anywhere in March and April because of Brush Fires.But this year I'm thinking of burning off my place before then so we can leave.

Just a few things I can think of right now that I've seen here.Me most part I just kick back and mind my own business.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,902,953 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Funny when I first moved here the first thing I was told Don't be calling no Law we take care of our own problems.And I have heard of Sheriff Deputies get in trouble for driving up here.

Things that have happen Neighbor set woods on fire,then shot down State Forestry Plane.

Neighbor got into it with other Neighbor,Guy comes home and all his Hogs are dead.

Woman that owned the Store tried to get someone to burn a Guy out.Next thing I know his place is burnt to the ground.The store owner has long passed away.

Knew of Woman that traded Sex for Fence Post.

Guy got mad at Conservation Department for Ticketing him for Poaching so he Gut shot 68 Deer.

Some nut camped by me.Set the woods on fire the Forestry found him swimming naked in my spring.

Had some Guys squating on Goverment Land everyone was scared of them.

Had a Guy tell me not to go anywhere close to his place because he had Marijuana planted there.

We can not go anywhere in March and April because of Brush Fires.But this year I'm thinking of burning off my place before then so we can leave.

Just a few things I can think of right now that I've seen here.Me most part I just kick back and mind my own business.

hillman
So...are you saying you do or don't fit in with the above types of activities?

Since you've been there a long time...hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 AM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,807,008 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
So...are you saying you do or don't fit in with the above types of activities?

Since you've been there a long time...hmmm...
I guess they figure I do.Considering I was raised in the area,moved back and have Kin here.I'm getting too old for alot of that stuff but in my younger days

Oh I do Pack like one of my neighbors said it would be stupid not to.Plus you come knocking on my Door in middle of the night a Shotgun will be the first thing to greet you.

Saying this the Old Lady at the Store had 3 Pistols on her at all times.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,902,953 times
Reputation: 3279
I'm with you on the firearm thing...but not to the extent the lady with 3 guns on her is...my backup doesn't have a backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,807,008 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I'm with you on the firearm thing...but not to the extent the lady with 3 guns on her is...my backup doesn't have a backup.
One of the Guns she had was used to kill a Guy by her Dad in Arkansas before he came here.He knew he needed a New Name so he took the name of White because he was on the White River at the time.

Oh the history of this area and alot of it died with that woman.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,550 posts, read 4,056,487 times
Reputation: 1521
I hate when Hollywood portrays folks back home in Texas (whenever they have a movie that is set in Texas). It's just all phony. They portray them like they are really ignorant jerks (the men) and the women always has a baby or a bunch of kids on her leg. It's soooo not Texas (at least I never turned out like that, thank God). And what's up with the cowboys hats and western wear?! Not all Texans dress like that (I never did. Not my style of dress).

Like the movie "Texasville" (the sequel to "The Last Picture Show"). Not all of us live like that or act like the characters in the movie. It's so phony, baloney....

Hollywood should do their homework about the people and culture, in a particular place, before they make a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
 
Location: DENVER
1,437 posts, read 4,166,443 times
Reputation: 981
it upsets me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
 
49 posts, read 102,392 times
Reputation: 79
Of course, Hollywood writes what sells and that reflect on the population's appetite for "favorite hobbies," like,"murder, rape, bizarre religious cults, and cannibalism." As long as we keep tuning in and buying theatre tickets for this, what is a money-mongering producer supposed to think? You want it! You know you want it, you fellow sickos!

Of course, bizarre religious cults do like to escape to rural areas because they generally see the benefit of nature and its effect upon people who come to them. So do mainline churches, but the churches emphasize appeals to people wherever they may be. So they maintiain their urban presence. But looking at the violent history of religions, they are no less violent than the "weirdos." And how many of us go to the big city to find a practitioner that can hypnotize us cockeyed silly for whatever cause?

But we fear what we don't know. Small town folk fear city folk and tell chilling stories about them in the local country church. I've heard some of them. City folk have their stories of small town ignoramuses who like to cram religion down the city sinner's throat. Some of those small-town folk are too poor to see a dentist and smell like they have been spreading manure in the local field. Understandable...after all, how else can we get our food supply? But face it. We really are afraid of one another and are afraid to admit it. But one Shadow does know! The Shadow-figure of the Hollywood producer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: mid wyoming
2,008 posts, read 6,111,672 times
Reputation: 1879
Typical hollyweirds reinforcing their self supposed superior intellect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
 
2,014 posts, read 1,281,240 times
Reputation: 1921
Most movies are made to support the very warped Hollywood view of the world. Hollywood people in general are monumentally ignorant about everything outside their own incestuous little sphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top