U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 5,085 times

Advertisements

very cool stuff. thanks for all the recommends. it is funny becauise i have tried to make conversation with local residence when i travel but i dont have very good luck. i was once in a hotel bar in hutchinson, kansas a few years back trying to start up exactly one of these conversations......i just got this look of dumbfoundedness from this local girl bartender. it honestly looked as if she was shocked someone was talking to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 AM

39 posts, read 82,037 times
I recommend checking out Oatman, Arizona! It is a hole in the wall place and I have NO idea how to get there (it is somewhere around Lake Havasu) I just know my parents took me every summer as a kid and I LOVED it. The whole town is like owned by donkey's or something and theres gun fight show things, its just a neat little place, or it was anyways!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM

21,113 posts, read 36,608,726 times
The Connecticut Lakes region and Lake Umbagog are off the beaten path in NH. It is a good way to get the Canadian flavor without having leave the US.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,675,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
C91, my husband and I have been traveling the country since Labor Day, and he's keeping a weblog of the trip. The url is listed as my profile home page. I also have albums of some of the places we've been in two of my profile albums. You are welcome to check out both, to give you some ideas of places you might like to include in your plans.

It's been quite a journey, and we've still got at least a year to go, so feel free to let us know if you have any questions, comments, or want to compare notes.

Bon voyage!

Looks like fun! Give a holler if you make it over here to ND! I can give you a list of things to see & do for our state.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM

625 posts, read 1,675,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concussion91 View Post
i would love some feedback on areas accross the US that would be considered "off the beaten path". i will visit anywhere, if you think the place sucks, has some interesting culture, cool scenery, nice people, horrible people, etc.....i am interested in it all. because i was born and raised and live in the mostly plastic locale of south orange county, ca, seeing some other ways people live in this country is something i love to do. what do you think?

I think most anywhere in North Dakota would qualify, as well as most of Minnesota outside of the Twin Cities, tho even there there's a lot you might enjoy.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:40 PM

709 posts, read 1,948,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
I recommend checking out Oatman, Arizona! It is a hole in the wall place and I have NO idea how to get there (it is somewhere around Lake Havasu) I just know my parents took me every summer as a kid and I LOVED it. The whole town is like owned by donkey's or something and theres gun fight show things, its just a neat little place, or it was anyways!
Oatman is on old route 66 between Kingman, AZ and the California border.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
now this is funny, i just got back from a trip that took me thru oatman. it is a cool town and it is a lot more scenic then i had remembered.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM

756 posts, read 1,731,762 times
Try going through Upstate NY or depending on the time, start in Philadelphia Pa. Go through the upstate area of Quakers and you will see beautiful barns and scenery. Then cross in to NY around Elmira (I think as it has been a long time) where Samuel Adams is buried, traverse through to the Finger Lakes region and then end at either Buffalo or continue north to the Canadian Border around Mesena. It is absolutely breath taking.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

41,490 posts, read 52,118,411 times
I prefer the DeLorme state atlases until I can get the Benchmark maps for the Western US. There is an "Off the Beaten Path" book series for several states.

I'll agree that western, central and northern NY is stunning. Northern New England just as well. There was an article on touring eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island
In the Road Runner motorcycle touring magazine in this issue.

I suggest picking a destination and drawing a straight line on a suitable map and then trying to stay as close as possible to the line. You get to see some really interesting places.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM

5,922 posts, read 4,133,041 times
I live in The County, as it's called. In northern Maine. Its official name is Aroostook...........the biggest county east of the Mississippi. You have to want to go there, because it's not really on the way to any where else. That's a good thing.............
It's our own little corner of the country (literallY), and it's very, very hard to describe.
But if you are looking for somewhere that's different, this place is very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living