U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,083 times

Advertisements

hi, i am from a high pupulation area and i have become mostly interested in traveling to small towns and more rural locations. i would love some feedback on areas accross the US that would be considered "off the beaten path". i will visit anywhere, if you think the place sucks, has some interesting culture, cool scenery, nice people, horrible people, etc.....i am interested in it all. because i was born and raised and live in the mostly plastic locale of south orange county, ca, seeing some other ways people live in this country is something i love to do. what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,579,476 times
C91, my husband and I have been traveling the country since Labor Day, and he's keeping a weblog of the trip. The url is listed as my profile home page. I also have albums of some of the places we've been in two of my profile albums. You are welcome to check out both, to give you some ideas of places you might like to include in your plans.

It's been quite a journey, and we've still got at least a year to go, so feel free to let us know if you have any questions, comments, or want to compare notes.

Bon voyage!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
C91, my husband and I have been traveling the country since Labor Day, and he's keeping a weblog of the trip. The url is listed as my profile home page. I also have albums of some of the places we've been in two of my profile albums. You are welcome to check out both, to give you some ideas of places you might like to include in your plans.

It's been quite a journey, and we've still got at least a year to go, so feel free to let us know if you have any questions, comments, or want to compare notes.

Bon voyage!
Very nice weblog! Wish I had seen it earlier, could have given you a few GREAT spots to eat along the way through Maine. Skowhegan has some of the best in the State. Your photos of the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City brought back a few memories, I spent a few days there on my honeymoon and love that section of the city. Looks like a great trip so far, and love your list of places visited so far, big to small looks like you found some good traveling. If you are going to be around this area in the future, let me know and I will offer a few suggestions on places not to miss in West Michigan.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,808,108 times
Well concussion91 I traveled most of the country when I was younger before they had all these new fangled maps and GPS thinymebobs.

Go to Wal-Mart and get your self a big Rand-McNally map (assuming they still make them). Pack up your car... find a place that looks interesting and point your car at it. Me and my cousin did that for well over a month (on 3 separate trips) and it was best trips ever. No plans just drove. Some things to note about the Rand Mcnally map, they have most of the major sites of interest marked on them right down to largest hand dug well in the world in Kansas.

Scenic routes are marked as well, if you stick to them and try to avoid the highways at all costs you'll find a lot of interesting places.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM

28,905 posts, read 47,355,276 times
You know, I think all small towns are interesting. They have their own vibe and personalities. To me, one of the most fun things to do is pull up a seat at the local greasy spoon next to the locals, order coffee and breakfast, and ask the waitress a few questions about the town, sprinkling a few compliments about the place to get the conversation going. Soon, the locals start to chime in, realizing that you're not some outsider who's just looking down his nose at the rustics. Amazing what kind of conversations one can have if one does more listening than talking.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 AM

8,517 posts, read 4,008,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Bon voyage!
I read your blog. It is wonderful, and will check out your husband's weblog when I get the chance. I've been to some of the places you've been, and it brought back such wonderful memories.

It reminded me of a book that I read long ago, "Blue Highways", by William Least Heat Moon. The book is probably long out of print, but if you ever see a copy, I highly recommend it.

Where you are at now, South Hero VT is a very beautiful location with Lake Champlain all around you, and the Green Mountains and Adirondacks on either side. Lots of good restaurants too.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,434,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concussion91 View Post
hi, i am from a high pupulation area and i have become mostly interested in traveling to small towns and more rural locations. i would love some feedback on areas accross the US that would be considered "off the beaten path". i will visit anywhere, if you think the place sucks, has some interesting culture, cool scenery, nice people, horrible people, etc.....i am interested in it all. because i was born and raised and live in the mostly plastic locale of south orange county, ca, seeing some other ways people live in this country is something i love to do. what do you think?
Some of the more unique regions I have been:

Mississippi Delta: Clarksville, Mound Bayou, Jonestown
Northern California: Garberville, Willits, Ukiah
Southern VT/Western MA: Brattleboro, VT and Northampton, MA
Cajun Country, Louisiana: Lafayette, Breaux Bridge
The Four Corners: Farmington, NM; Durango, CO

Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,579,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To me, one of the most fun things to do is pull up a seat at the local greasy spoon next to the locals, order coffee and breakfast, and ask the waitress a few questions about the town, sprinkling a few compliments about the place to get the conversation going....Amazing what kind of conversations one can have if one does more listening than talking.
And shops, post offices, parking lots, and where ever there are people working.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM

582 posts, read 303,064 times
I recommend traveling the state of Texas, particularly the beautiful Hill Country in the west-central part of the state. Go to Luckenbach, a town near Fredericksburg that is nearly a ghost town. It basically consists of a post office, saloon, general store and dance hall. People will just drive up, park, and play instruments under the trees.

Definitely travel as much as you can of the state and experience the most delicious home-cooked food and the friendliest people.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,533,937 times
I love this thread. This is the American spirit....exploring all of the wonderful places and tremendous cultures we have right here at home. Maybe more people will take "local" trips and rediscover our gorgeous land.
OP, I know you think that South Orange Co is plastic but I think everyone takes their own hometown for granted. It took me traveling with work, always yearning to be somewhere else, to realize that home is a pretty amazing place. I never thought that I would wind up settling back in rural SC but my hubby (from Texas) loved it and here we are. Anyway, I love Laguna Beach in your neck of the woods. I'd highly recommend your coming to our neck of the woods....see Western North Carolina.....check out the books on all of the area waterfalls and barbecue joints. See the Great Smokeys in Fall when the colors start to come in. Find a cabin by a mountain stream (I love Maggie Valley, NC). Then come on down to South Carolina and stop by Greenville....see Lake Jocasse and Lake Keowee. Float on Down to Beaufort and Charleston SC and pay particular attention to the areas preserving the old African culture and customs (preserved by the ancestors of the slaves who settled into that area). Finally, I read a book I think would be an excellent companion read on your travels....Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins. It was written 25 years ago but I think it is a very timely read given our current ecomonic and political climate. Safe travels and remember to leave something good behind you in every place you visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living