U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times

Advertisements

Corn meal sprinkled around trails of the ants will kill them also. They carry it back to the nest ingest it then it puffs up in their bellies so they die when they drink. This is safe for other pets to be around and children too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,923,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Corn meal sprinkled around trails of the ants will kill them also. They carry it back to the nest ingest it then it puffs up in their bellies so they die when they drink. This is safe for other pets to be around and children too.

That's another old wives tale. Fire ants aren't the least bit interested in corn meal.

How do I know? Because I've tried it and the corn meal was still there the next day.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,699,672 times
Dont know about fire ants .... but Thatch ants here in WA are red ants that build up to 6ft mounds bite allot not like a fire ant but as bad as we get. Personally if you are not right on them I appreciate them because they are scavangers/cleaners of forest. But if you have childern, camp on them it really sucks.

The dia Earth will enventually cut their skelotons and kill them but it works slowly and over a long time period that you may lose patience in. But it is all natural. Would love to hear if the following helps at all?

Camping last 4th we put coffee grounds on them by my truck and they moved that day!!! Small mound.. had no experience with this we tried it on a couple of other spots - camping spot is gonna be house spot and they all moved too? Don't know why or if it really worked but they left.....

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Personally if you are not right on them I appreciate them because they are scavangers/cleaners of forest.

Fire ants are like that too. If you have them, you don't have fleas or ticks.

I personally don't mind the fire ants, so long as they're not banked up against the house or around the patio where the grandkids can get into them.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,534,064 times
Thanks for the input y'all. I'm trying the boiling water approach and seeing if they pop up somewhere else or if that eradicates those mounds. WE have 12 acres and LOTS of BIGGGG mounds on the property. I'm just trying to get rid of the ones closest to the house and in my flower beds first. In this part of SC getting rid of all of them on our parcel doesn't seem like an achievable goal......I just want to keep me and my pets from getting stung. Those buggers really HURT!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM

873 posts, read 1,568,755 times
Total BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 AM

TinaBean: So, how did the boiling water work for you?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's another old wives tale. Fire ants aren't the least bit interested in corn meal.

How do I know? Because I've tried it and the corn meal was still there the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Total BS.
I was only passing along what others that tried this said it worked. I don't have ant problems to test this out sorry.

Ya all have a nice day.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,534,064 times
Hey y'all, thanks to everyone who responded. Ultimately, the water thing didn't work well for me so I had to get a commercial product. My friend understood my concerns and had something, a beige powder, that is harmful to fish but is used on gardens, etc... It is a more natural alternative. I'm not quite sure what it is but it is in a white bottle with a red top and you can squirt the powder out and into crevices. I tried it first on my front porch where the ants were invading and it worked immediately. I'm going to have to ask her where to buy more. I want to research it because I still have grave concerns about maintaining the purity of our well/water table.....I was just desperate to get the ants away from the house before they get inside. What pests!!! Once I confirm exactly what this stuff is, and research it, I'll post more info for y'all.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,014 times
Cool Help for fireant or wasp stings:Parson's Ammonia

I don't lnow how to get rid of fireants. Do they have a natural enemy? I can point you to a great remedy of bitten by fireants or wasps, et cetera. It is plain old cheap Ammonia, like "Mr Clean" or "Parsons" ammonia.We keep it on the porch and in each of our trucks. If bitten, slather on ammonia. As soon as you do the pain is gone. It is amazing! Don't buy the sudsing ammonia, it will work but will leave soap on your skin- use the clear ammonia, and keep it near you when working outside- the faster you apply it; the faster the relief. Have a great summer ande remember-it's your yard, not the fireants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living