Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times

Advertisements

Thanks donald. I'll surely get some ammonia to keep on hand. Do you know if it works for jellyfish stings too? We have a small little shack in Garden City and I'm paranoid about being stung by jellyfish. Do you think it would work for that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
However, you might want to do a search on "aspartame toxicity", where you will find the three main components of this substance and one of them is methanol, which breaks down into formaldehyde and formic acid. There's a lot of folks in the medical field that can explain the toxicity of this substance ... it's not very good, and for some folks, it's causing a lot of problems.
Off topic, but ...
Aspertame is banned in many European countries ...

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/garde...fire-ants.html

The imported South American fire ant in the US cannot be vanquished, but it can be controlled and reduced.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks Azoria. I'm going to look for this AWARD stuff mentioned in the post. I've gotten ants in my beloved vegetable garden now.... gosh, these things are a NUISANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rep to you......

Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Thanks donald. I'll surely get some ammonia to keep on hand. Do you know if it works for jellyfish stings too? We have a small little shack in Garden City and I'm paranoid about being stung by jellyfish. Do you think it would work for that too?

Adoph's Meat Tenderizer works best on jellyfish stings. Never go to the beach without it!

Sorry the boiling water thing didn't work for you. I sure does for me, but then again, I dump AT LEAST a gallon on 'em at a time.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 AM

Hey Thanks STillKit.....I'm going to try the boiling water thing again in another area. Perhaps I didn't use enough. I found one of those horrible buggers on the kitchen floor yesterday and I was soo upset. Hopefully he just hitched a ride in on my shoe when I came in from the garden. But he was larger and different from the others I saw in the yard. The ones in the yard are small, reddish brown and very FAST. This one was larger and had red/black stripes it seemed. I tried to squish him with my shoe 3 times and his shell was VERY hard. Anyway, the natural stuff on the porch worked so I'll get more of that for the places I can't use boiling water, try some of this AWARD stuff and the boiling water. Maybe a combo approach will keep them under control. And I'll buy some Adophs this week and put in my beach backpack. I think we are entering the season for jellyfish here in SC so I want to be prepared. Rep to you for all of the info and help. YOu are the best.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hey Thanks STillKit.....I'm going to try the boiling water thing again in another area. Perhaps I didn't use enough. I found one of those horrible buggers on the kitchen floor yesterday and I was soo upset. Hopefully he just hitched a ride in on my shoe when I came in from the garden. But he was larger and different from the others I saw in the yard. The ones in the yard are small, reddish brown and very FAST. This one was larger and had red/black stripes it seemed. I tried to squish him with my shoe 3 times and his shell was VERY hard. Anyway, the natural stuff on the porch worked so I'll get more of that for the places I can't use boiling water, try some of this AWARD stuff and the boiling water. Maybe a combo approach will keep them under control. And I'll buy some Adophs this week and put in my beach backpack. I think we are entering the season for jellyfish here in SC so I want to be prepared. Rep to you for all of the info and help. YOu are the best.

That big one in the house doesn't sound like a fire ant. It sounds more like what we call a "Cow Ant," or worse, a "Wood Ant." Was he fuzzy?

But, he/she could have been a fire ant queen. They mate up in the air, at about 7-10,000 ft, then fall back to the earth and start a new colony. My grandkids swimming pool has been collecting them for the past couple of weeks (Oh, darn! They drowned! LOL)

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Oh gee...I never heard of cow ants or wood ants! Dang it.....one type is annoying enough. He wasn't "fuzzy" that I recall....seemed kind of slick and shiny. But I was stunned the shell was so hard. I couldn't squish him, he kept getting up and going. Yeah, let's hope these things don't learn how to swim!!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
you know I hate to say it but I think that if there were a relatively easy nontoxic way to do this - it wouldn't be a problem anywhere any more and everyone would know what the answer is.
Persistance with a multipronged attack of any combination of things that work a little bit (boiling water, shoveling, whatever) regularly is probably the only thing that will keep them manageable, not gone but managed.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
This isn't environmentally friendly, but probably about as healthy as commercial sprays and poisons...and depending upon price, can be cheaper...

Gasoline. Not lit, just poured on the mound. It'll kill the mound. You may have to apply more than once. Perhaps not as satisfying as lighting it, but effective.

Old farmers' trick. I'm sure the EPA loves this method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living