U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM

15,347 posts, read 13,787,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Many post offices do.

A car hit my sons driveway in a snowstorm and flipped . It took out the mail box and post.
The weather was below zero and it was during the time of his mother's ( my wife's wake and funeral )

The mail box was not replaced for a week as all posts are installed by a crew since he lives on a state highway and that is the rule.

All his mail was held for him and it was a lot due to many sympathy cards.( thank you Freeport MN Post Office and mail carrier ))
When the box finally got replaced, it was packed full for 2 days.
That's how I always thought it worked.....that they would hold your mail for a certain period of time.

{My condolences on losing your wife.}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,347,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I never knew that......and I think sending the mail back in an instance like that is a nasty thing to do.

You should give the homeowner at least a couple of days to get a new mailbox put up before you start sending mail back, IMO.

If my mailbox was taken out by a car or a snowplow, it would take me a couple of days to get a new one and find someone to put it up for me.
I agree. The rule is to hold the mail for 10 days, and notify the resident they have to replace the mailbox. After 10 days , we send it back.

I should say that by "we", I don't even mean "me".

I hold the mail for weeks until the substitute or supervisor catches me and tells me to send it back.

So much depends on your carrier. Some don't care, some just want to follow the rules, and some will go out of their way to beat the system in your favor

I had a guy on my old route who was in the hospital out-of-state with a bad heart condition. I knew he would eventually come back, or send in a forwarding request so I held his mail.

When the manager found out how long I was holding the mail (it was over a month) he had a fit and directed me to return to sender. He said we're not in the sympathy business!

So, I asked the neighbor who was watching his house to take the mail in. He did, and we sent it up to him when he gave us a new address. There were checks from SS and the IRS in there!!

I should've mentoned the 10 day thing. Sorry.

Unfortunately, customer service is not what it used to be at the PO. They say it takes us too long!

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 01-06-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 AM

29,123 posts, read 22,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Does your area use electronic 911 systems? If so, you need a mailbox so that emergency service persons (such as firefighters and EMS) can locate your home in the event of an emergency.
What emergency?

Why would they need that unless someone called them from that address?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh wow I dont think it is possible for you to live w/o email or cell phones . how would you call anyone if you had a problem in your house and need someone to come fix it . wow I would be lost w/o a cell phone and I need to pay my bills .
You would fix it yourself.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
How about Birthday Cards, Thank You notes, Thinking of you cards?
Junk mail.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not accepting mail can put you at risk when it comes to mailed legal documents.
There are other ways of getting those documents delivered than through the mail.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
For the few places that legitimately require a physical address on file (DMV, police, etc), we give them the nearest milepost marker on the nearest road (still a goodly distance from our actual residence). ).
What legitimate reason do they have for requiring a physical address on file?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Isnt that quite stupid?? (hehe)

If you had a MAILBOX then wouldnt get any $$$$ (Mail delivery is free)
Not true - it is paid for by taxpayer dollars.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM

8,629 posts, read 14,070,406 times
Actually its quite simple. There are many services out there that provide a legal address, collect your mail and store it for you.One of the most used services like this are the full Time Motor home people. Also those who live on a boat have the same set up. For more than 5 years I lived in Florida on a Sailboat, I had none of the services ether. Just a friends office in the city, quite legal as I WAS paying rent for services. PO Boxes , even the UPS kind will Not work, have tried that, . Its easy to look up with GPS, even Google Earth , a specific address and if that address also is a common mail drop, everyone in the state soon will find that out.

Some of the legal services hold themselves out as "registered Agents". Most Corporations who do business nation wide will use these services. I had a 3 person business( Incorporated full corporation not an LLC ) for good reason. There was always a distance between yourself and your business that way. I used Registered Agents in every state I did business in.That was also a Federal requirement as I had Government contracts as part of my services...... So , bottom line , you can have a business/personal address and still keep separated in the eyes of the legal system.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,835,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What legitimate reason do they have for requiring a physical address on file?
When I moved to a new state, I could not get a drivers license w/o a physical address.

(also, my insurance carrier for my house insurance requires they have a ....................................physical address on file
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living