U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 20,930,660 times
Reputation: 5109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom no longer wanted any of the third class junk mail. No more flyers or ads from local stores, cluttering up her box. She was told it was required.
It's actually not. See below. But getting the carrier and local post office to acknowledge the stoppage may take a little extra effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That junk mail keeps the USPS afloat. It is not about you, it is about money for the post office!
That is true though. They do make a fair bit off the junk mail. But you can get most of it to stop if you jump through a couple hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Anyone who is interested in heading off junk mail before it gets to them can use the link provided by the Direct Marketing Association. Yes, it's the trade organization for companies who send junk mail, and they would just as soon not send junk mail to people who don't want to get it.

https://www.dmachoice.org/
This is what you need to do. Opting out with the DMA will make the ad flyers stop. Well, sort of. Let me tell you what actually happened on our route.

Ad flyers, say Redplum, are individually addressed. But, even after doing the DMA thing we'd still get one (for the wrong address) in our box. The carriers, most likely, are not used to anyone actually opting out. They just go along merrily putting the ads in everyone's box without regard to the address on them. Perhaps they wondered why they came up one short at the end of the route? Who knows.

We pointed the wrong address out to the carrier (by note, because we generally aren't home for delivery) and they came back with "These go to every address." Eventually we sent our opt out confirmation to the local postmaster, which made them finally understand that you can in fact opt out of those. Then they finally stopped.

We don't feel bad about any lost revenue for the PO. We more than make up for it in the amount of mail we send, far more than the average these days.

PS I grew up with a PO box as our only address and have had access to a PO box almost the entire time since. Although we get mail at the house too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 AM
 
1,338 posts, read 990,316 times
Reputation: 2432
I would like to get rid of the mailbox, too, but people from neighboring tread (small town ones) will gossip about me for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,629 posts, read 14,070,406 times
Reputation: 2771
A larger issue about mailboxes is the box itself. If you live in a part of the country where it snows a lot there is the replacement two or three times a year when the box is wiped out by the snow plow. Then there is vandalism often used to intimidate . There seems to be a obsession to see how many mailboxes can be destroyed with rocks and baseball bats.

The list is long for reasons not to comply with federal laws and regs , most important however is the safety factor if your post is located along busy highways. , both for the person trying to collect the mail while speeding cars and trucks are but inches away , and also for the mail carrier stoping along the side of the road trying to stuff your mailbox hoping he/she will not be rear ended or sideswiped. Then there is the DOT laws now being enforced that require all mailboxes meet break a way standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,347 posts, read 13,787,349 times
Reputation: 20981
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
A larger issue about mailboxes is the box itself. If you live in a part of the country where it snows a lot there is the replacement two or three times a year when the box is wiped out by the snow plow. Then there is vandalism often used to intimidate . There seems to be a obsession to see how many mailboxes can be destroyed with rocks and baseball bats.

The list is long for reasons not to comply with federal laws and regs , most important however is the safety factor if your post is located along busy highways. , both for the person trying to collect the mail while speeding cars and trucks are but inches away , and also for the mail carrier stoping along the side of the road trying to stuff your mailbox hoping he/she will not be rear ended or sideswiped. Then there is the DOT laws now being enforced that require all mailboxes meet break a way standards.
I live in Ohio, plenty of snow......I have had a roadside mailbox most of my life {60 yrs. old} and I have never had a mailbox taken out by a snowplow.....lost one to vandalism.....hardly a reason not to have a roadside mailbox.

Usually, the snowplow will just cause the mailbox to lean to the side a bit.....and if you just leave it that way instead of straightening it up in the spring........it will stay that way until the mailbox fails due to age or you just want to get a new one for whatever reason.

If you want it straight, plan to straighten it up every spring. I have learned it is much easier not to bother with it.

Usually, when you see a bunch of mailboxes smashed to smithereens, it is because of an inexperienced snowplow driver who does not know how to properly angle the plow.

I saw this once a few years ago not far from where I live.....mailbox after mailbox after mailbox destroyed......and I will bet that driver caught all kinds of hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,689,252 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I pay $40 a year for a PObox that I just ingore LOL worth every penny to have it

Nope Have no idea what happens to the mail in it ..
I'm anti-government and I do the same, WHAT mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,629 posts, read 14,070,406 times
Reputation: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I live in Ohio, plenty of snow......I have had a roadside mailbox most of my life {60 yrs. old} and I have never had a mailbox taken out by a snowplow.....lost one to vandalism.....hardly a reason not to have a roadside mailbox.

Usually, the snowplow will just cause the mailbox to lean to the side a bit.....and if you just leave it that way instead of straightening it up in the spring........it will stay that way until the mailbox fails due to age or you just want to get a new one for whatever reason.

If you want it straight, plan to straighten it up every spring. I have learned it is much easier not to bother with it.

Usually, when you see a bunch of mailboxes smashed to smithereens, it is because of an inexperienced snowplow driver who does not know how to properly angle the plow.

I saw this once a few years ago not far from where I live.....mailbox after mailbox after mailbox destroyed......and I will bet that driver caught all kinds of hell.
There are alternatives. I live in a private road with four other houses. We all have to go down to the highway to collect our mail. Contrary to what my neighbors wanted I took it upon myself to widen the drive way to avoid interference ( i got a state permit ) , then installed breakaway frames DOT approved .They look like upside down coat hangers. The mail lady loves it no more sitting on the edge of the highway, its now an actual turn a round. I bought everyone a new like kind large boxes and mounted them to the frame.Its been 3 years and no problems, everyone is happy. The hardest part was not getting everyone to pay up , it was the idea that I had a hard time selling to them. People hate change , even if its good for them !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,347 posts, read 13,787,349 times
Reputation: 20981
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There are alternatives. I live in a private road with four other houses. We all have to go down to the highway to collect our mail. Contrary to what my neighbors wanted I took it upon myself to widen the drive way to avoid interference ( i got a state permit ) , then installed breakaway frames DOT approved .They look like upside down coat hangers. The mail lady loves it no more sitting on the edge of the highway, its now an actual turn a round. I bought everyone a new like kind large boxes and mounted them to the frame.Its been 3 years and no problems, everyone is happy. The hardest part was not getting everyone to pay up , it was the idea that I had a hard time selling to them. People hate change , even if its good for them !
I have a friend who has his mailbox up in his driveway, by the turnaround.........because his driveway is on a blind curve and it is just safer for the mailman. He and the mailman he had over 30 years ago just decided to do it on their own, didn't ask the PO if it was OK, they just did it.

Anyway, while it is nice to have your mailbox in your driveway, you also have to make sure your driveway is cleared of snow at all times if you want your mail.....and for that reason I wouldn't like it.

I am retired.....and if I don't have to go somewhere.....there are times I don't bother clearing the driveway at all if it is going to warm up enough to melt the snow away in a few days......or I may get around to clearing it long after the mailman has gone by.

When I was a kid, my dad had a large mailbox mounted on a steal pipe, threaded on the end. He put a plate on the bottom of the mailbox and it just screwed onto the post. He kept it greased and loose in the winter.....just for the snowplows.

Every once in awhile, the snow from the plow would set that box a spinning, unscrew it from the post and we would find it sitting unharmed in the yard...... dad just had to "screw" it back onto the post.....good as new. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,383 times
Reputation: 10
Stratford, Ct. Resident you have conveniently left out the whole message from 1.1.1

1.1.1 Delivery to Addressee

Addressees may control delivery of their mail.Without a contrary order, the mail is delivered as addressed. Mail addressed to several persons may be delivered to any one of them.

Translation based on reading of the rules, You make control your mail, but only to refuse it or have your mail stopped for up to 2 years. This DOES NOT mean you dont have to have a mailbox.

So yes you do have to have a mail receptacle, translate this word however you want, they need to be able to deliver your mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,383 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I'm anti-government and I do the same, WHAT mail?
You still have a responsibility to pay all bills you have sent to the address you supply, unless you specify otherwise. So how does this help you down the road? Watch your credit ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM
 
323 posts, read 427,215 times
Reputation: 567
Heres what I did. I bought land out in the country in Oregon with no mailing address and never got a mailing address. I registered to vote here so I can vote against property tax increases. On the voting card it says my physical address, township and range. I have a mailbox on a ranch in Texas which I come back to once a year. When the county where my land is sends for me for jury duty, they send it to Texas. I say Sorry, I am out of the state right now. Texas does not call me for jury duty because I am registered in Oregon. Also, vehicle registration is a LOT cheaper in Texas, so I have Texas Farm Truck plates. I hate Texas but actually live in an out of state mail boxless paradise. All my other business is done over the internet. I do not want tweaker identity thieves going through my mail in Oregon. Do I HAVE to have a mailing address on my land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top