U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 PM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
... Do I HAVE to have a mailing address on my land?
No.

Before I went through the process to get a 'street' address for my land, there was none.

Today around 2/3 of the parcels of land in my town do not have street addresses. The County deed vault has a mailing address for each property, a good many of them are out-of-date. People walk into the court house once/year and they pay their taxes. Some pay in cash, some pay with a mail order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM

323 posts, read 427,215 times

Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM

632 posts, read 707,042 times
This did not work out well for Kramer on Seinfeld.

Kramer vs The Mail - YouTube

Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 PM

769 posts, read 653,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Is it legal to remove your mailbox, and therefore not accept mail? I was told by the post office that:

1. You must keep a mailbox, but you can personally refuse mail by marking the mail "refused" and putting it back in the mailbox. However, I find this to be too tedious.

2. You can remove your mailbox completely and you must sign a contrary order (which I think will put us on a government watchlist, and I don't really want to sign anything). Isn't it my right to refuse mail?

Hardest part is people think we are crazy for not wanting mail- we are not anti-government zealots, we just feel that in this day and age, we don't need mail and it is mostly advertisments, bills, and other junk that only causes stress. We have also given up our cell phones, cable, and email. We are finding life to be a lot less hectic without these "modern conveniences"

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
I have no use for mail either. all bills are online. I get my mail once a month to check for anything important ( wedding invite from long lost aunt)

I have no house phone, no cable . one pre paid cell phone, $40 internet... life is easier without the $250 cell phone, and the $400 cable bill !!1

Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM

16,118 posts, read 27,313,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Is it legal to remove your mailbox, and therefore not accept mail? I was told by the post office that:

1. You must keep a mailbox, but you can personally refuse mail by marking the mail "refused" and putting it back in the mailbox. However, I find this to be too tedious.

2. You can remove your mailbox completely and you must sign a contrary order (which I think will put us on a government watchlist, and I don't really want to sign anything). Isn't it my right to refuse mail?

Hardest part is people think we are crazy for not wanting mail- we are not anti-government zealots, we just feel that in this day and age, we don't need mail and it is mostly advertisments, bills, and other junk that only causes stress. We have also given up our cell phones, cable, and email. We are finding life to be a lot less hectic without these "modern conveniences"

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
Just get a dog and have the dog bark at the mailman. Our Chijuajua did that and I ended up getting into it with the mailman. He wanted to spray our little dog for barking at him. He stoped delivering to our home. After a couple weeks I drove over to the postoffice and wanted to know why we were not getting any mail. They told me because the mailman said we have a dangerous dog at our home. This mailman is over 6 feet tall and the dog is maybe 10lbs and not very tall at all.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:39 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,070,406 times
Default data line has nothing to do with cell ph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I have no use for mail either. all bills are online. I get my mail once a month to check for anything important ( wedding invite from long lost aunt)

I have no house phone, no cable . one pre paid cell phone, $40 internet... life is easier without the $250 cell phone, and the $400 cable bill !!1
40 dollar internet ? You must get the data line from somewhere since you only use prepaid cell phones ?

Last edited by darstar; 03-18-2015 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: retracting question

Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times
In our area if you have electric.....you have an address.......it is the electric companies that assigns them.

They will put the number on the first pole from the road.

No mailbox is required.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
One time I remember this guy in my old neighbourhood got mad these idiots kept going thru his mailbox @ night so he just got rid of it...... Got a P.O. box instead.....

Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,070,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
One time I remember this guy in my old neighbourhood got mad these idiots kept going thru his mailbox @ night so he just got rid of it...... Got a P.O. box instead.....
not all areas have PO box access. some people use off Site private boxes. ( you still need to provide a verified physical address however.) An other service provided by the POST OFFICE is " general delivery" where you can have them hold your mail for a specific amount of time, then they will bundle all your mail for one week, then send it to wherever you want them too by Priority Mail , this service costs 17.00 a week. great for snowbirds,full timers, and construction workers.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 PM

950 posts, read 732,032 times
I don't have a mailbox but have a PO box at the Post Office.
However, it costs me because mail delivery service is available.

If it was not, the PO box would be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living