U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,024 times

Advertisements

Interesting, when I moved into my current apartment recently, I waited about a week to check the mail box. I expected to find it jammed with junk. To my surprise I found one single card in it. It was a USPS form that said, "Vacant, please do not place mail in this box". On the other side it said for new resident to fill in name and leave in box to begin mail delivery. As tempted as I was not to fill out the form, I did. Because I still need to get my drivers license, and stuff, and I want to receive my packages.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 5,110,172 times
The compact, suburban town of Garrett Park, Maryland, they claim, has never had mail delivery in its 100+ year history. Residents supposedly prefer walking to the post office. Garrett Park, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,072,735 times
I lived 18 years in a rural less than a village, but there was a Post Office....and PO boxes .If you wanted home delivery you had to change your address to comply with a larger place that had rural mail carriers. Your property was worth more with the town 7 miles away too.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 AM

5,605 posts, read 2,933,428 times
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the cottages in Carmel, California, don't have house numbers. Mail is addressed to the name of the cottage and I'm not even sure it's delivered - people may have to go and pick it up at the PO.

For a fee, people who RV full time will set up a mail delivery system with someone in their home state.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 AM

5,605 posts, read 2,933,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
What about the census bureau mailings? I thought you HAD to fill out that form, and if you didn't have a mailbox, how would you receive the form to comply? I suppose that can all be done online now, too. I like this question though!
I know this is a question from way back, but I suppose I should point out that this last census in 2010 was the first census I participated in. Before that, I was living in my truck, or out in the boonies, or I had a PO box. So I was off the census grid for about 40 years.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 AM

15,273 posts, read 12,983,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the cottages in Carmel, California, don't have house numbers. Mail is addressed to the name of the cottage and I'm not even sure it's delivered - people may have to go and pick it up at the PO.

For a fee, people who RV full time will set up a mail delivery system with someone in their home state.
Yes while reading about Doris Day and Carmel I found this out too... what Id like to know is the mail boxes we seen in American films outside the house never seem to be locked.. is this the way it is... .

Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yes while reading about Doris Day and Carmel I found this out too... what Id like to know is the mail boxes we seen in American films outside the house never seem to be locked.. is this the way it is... .
Individual mail boxes directly outside a single family house are rarely locked. It's the responsibility of the resident to keep an eye on their mail box.

Cluster mail boxes together in a central location are always locked. Since obviously the residents can't see their mail box from that location.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:04 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,503,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Is it legal to remove your mailbox, and therefore not accept mail? I was told by the post office that:

1. You must keep a mailbox, but you can personally refuse mail by marking the mail "refused" and putting it back in the mailbox. However, I find this to be too tedious.

2. You can remove your mailbox completely and you must sign a contrary order (which I think will put us on a government watchlist, and I don't really want to sign anything). Isn't it my right to refuse mail?

Hardest part is people think we are crazy for not wanting mail- we are not anti-government zealots, we just feel that in this day and age, we don't need mail and it is mostly advertisments, bills, and other junk that only causes stress. We have also given up our cell phones, cable, and email. We are finding life to be a lot less hectic without these "modern conveniences"

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
I had an instructor who told the class he took down his mailbox. According to the story the postal worker on his route said he had to have one. My instructor asked for proof to which the postal worker couldn't provide. He did eventually put it back up because his wife's sister still wrote letters and his wife complained.
Other than that this guy did everything electronically and had no need for a mailbox.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 14 days ago)

21,730 posts, read 22,540,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I doubt that excuse--" I don't have a mailbox"-- would have kept you from being drafted in the 60's .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I could never understand how some people equate refusal to have a mail box with being a rugged individual and a sign of manliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I don't have a mailbox but have a PO box at the Post Office.
However, it costs me because mail delivery service is available.

If it was not, the PO box would be free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I know that.

My post was in response to a poster who asked why some places need a physical address on file.

I , also, have no mail box ( my choice ) but rent a PO box because I am close to the post office.
great posts...LOL

Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 PM

38,025 posts, read 46,836,164 times
My neighbor has a mailbox, but he has his mail delivered to the post office box, because there was a theft out of his mailbox a few years ago.
In the town where we used to live, there was no mail delivery, so everyone picked up their mail at the lovely new post office (nicknamed the "Taj Mail"). It was fun to meet up with others at the post office, but what was really a royal pain is if you wanted to send someone something you had to know their box number, because the postal employees wouldn't tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living