U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,006,567 times

Advertisements

Does your area use electronic 911 systems? If so, you need a mailbox so that emergency service persons (such as firefighters and EMS) can locate your home in the event of an emergency. In many rural areas around here, your physical address is basically directions to your home. If your mailing address is '3250 Kitty Hollow' then 911 responders know to respond to the home that is 3.25 miles down "Kitty Hollow". Having a mailbox makes finding the home easier for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM

538 posts, read 2,245,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Property tax bill?
Utility bills?
Car insurance bill?
Notice of vehicle registration suspension?
Notice of utility shut off?
Notice of Tax Sale?

Those are just three I can think of, you could include driver's license, car tags, etc.
Property tax bill? = paid with mortgage, mortgage statement is online
Utility bills? = all online
Car insurance bill? = online
Notice of vehicle registration suspension? = not planning on getting suspended
Notice of utility shut off? = not planning this, but other than electricity, I'm on well water and septic, no gas here
Notice of Tax Sale? = unsure what this is, but if someone needs to get something to me, they can send it certified

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Does your area use electronic 911 systems? If so, you need a mailbox so that emergency service persons (such as firefighters and EMS) can locate your home in the event of an emergency. In many rural areas around here, your physical address is basically directions to your home. If your mailing address is '3250 Kitty Hollow' then 911 responders know to respond to the home that is 3.25 miles down "Kitty Hollow". Having a mailbox makes finding the home easier for them.
The post is still there- we still keep a number physically mounted on the wooden mailbox post.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
How about Birthday Cards, Thank You notes, Thinking of you cards?
I've notified everyone I care about that I don't want a mailbox. If I get a lot of complaints, I can always put it back.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I removed the mailbox this weekend. I unscrewed it from the post (the post is still there) and I put a laminated note on the post. It reads "The residents at (address) do not wish to receive mail. Any and all mail and/or packages marked for this address or any resident at this address is hereby refused."

jury duty notification ?

all mail pretaining to your property taxes ? ( valuation increase,etc)

Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 16,145 times
We have a second house. We do not get mail there. We simply told the post office we did not want mail there, and we leave the door to the mailbox open. The mailman does not deliver there. As for cell phones, as soon as I no longer need mine for work, it will be gone. One old fashioned house phone is enough for me. And the newspaper will soon be history, I am afraid. Everything online now a days. Somewhat sad when you think about it.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM

17,091 posts, read 22,609,680 times
My property in Alaska is not on any mail route. Any mail has to be picked up at the post office, either with a PO Box if I get one (I won't), or by general delivery.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM

17,091 posts, read 22,609,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Only if you want to. No requirement that anyone have such an address.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM

304 posts, read 809,593 times
Interesting question.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,760,954 times
I happened to be in the Post Office last week when a customer was asking if he could remove the mailbox from his property. The answer given to him (by one of the clerks behind the counter) was, "sure, as long as it's your property."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living