U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I read somewhere that Carmel doesnt have post boxes , dont any of you have letterboxes in your doors like we do.. Where is the most sensible place for a letterbox?
Yes, many people do. That's something you'll see in cities here.

However, they are not practical for the mail carrier in suburbs and certainly not rural areas where houses can be long distances from the road.

...and despite the question and regardless of any regulations or laws in place, many, many, many, and I repeat many, people do not have mailboxes...anywhere.

Heck, many people don't have any outward identifying information on their house concerning address much less a name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM

29,581 posts, read 64,130,845 times
I've got my curb side mailbox all picked out.
All they have to do is tell me I have to put one up:
Attached Thumbnails
Can you refuse to have a mailbox?-mailbox-art.gif  

Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
??????????????

I have moved here ( Ozarks in Arkansas ) 6 months ago and have a PO Box.
ALL my mail gets delivered there and I have decided not to put a mailbox up ( the previous owner had one and took it with him )

Yes, some places want to know where I live ( tax office, internet provider, water company, electric company ) however, the bills are all mailed to my post office box.

They want to know where ( physical location ) their services are going but couldn't care less if you recieve mail there or not.
You are correct redwolf. I confused having a physical address with having a mailbox. As long as you have a physical address that is all that matters to the people who require it (DMV, banks, paypal, etc.) This does not mean that you have to have a mail receptacle.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM

833 posts, read 1,494,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You are correct redwolf. I confused having a physical address with having a mailbox. As long as you have a physical address that is all that matters to the people who require it (DMV, banks, paypal, etc.) This does not mean that you have to have a mail receptacle.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

you are welcome.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,430,008 times
We don't have mailboxes here. Everyone has a PO Box because there's no mail delivery. I don't think that's so bad, as they'd just be one more thing to keep dug out in the winter and try not to run over with the plows. It does get confusing sometimes when you need to put your address on a form or something, because you have to know why they want it to know which one to enter. I often just put both.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,559,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Is it legal to remove your mailbox, and therefore not accept mail? I was told by the post office that:

1. You must keep a mailbox, but you can personally refuse mail by marking the mail "refused" and putting it back in the mailbox. However, I find this to be too tedious.

2. You can remove your mailbox completely and you must sign a contrary order (which I think will put us on a government watchlist, and I don't really want to sign anything). Isn't it my right to refuse mail?

Hardest part is people think we are crazy for not wanting mail- we are not anti-government zealots, we just feel that in this day and age, we don't need mail and it is mostly advertisments, bills, and other junk that only causes stress. We have also given up our cell phones, cable, and email. We are finding life to be a lot less hectic without these "modern conveniences"

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
But your posting on CD!?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
When we moved here, we had no mailbox.

I got a PO box, and it took over 6 months to straighten out the process of a street number.

I was told that the state had gone through and re-numbered all homes to fit into some standardized 9/11 system they were using. I made a series of phone calls to different state offices, trying to find who is responsible for this new 9/11 system. One day a bureaucrat called me with my new street number. I painted that on my mail box and notified the PO.

The state supplied number did not fit into the sequence on our road. UPS and FEDEX drivers were calling me a lot trying to find us. 3 months later the PO sent me a notice telling me to pick a different number and to pick one that seemed to be in the general sequence for our township. So I changed the street number and have not had any complaints for 5 years now.

When looking around, some homes have a mail box and some homes do not.

As far as I know it is entirely up to personal preference.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,643,205 times
I live in a rural area, there is no mail delivery on my street. I'm entitled to a p.o. box free of charge, but there is no law stating I must have one.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
In the bush, we don't even have streets, much less house numbers or curbside mailboxes. All mail goes to the village post office (several miles away), either to a PO Box or General Delivery. Since many businesses will not ship goods to a PO Box, we circumvent this by using "General Delivery" or giving the physical address of the post office itself. You sure don't see UPS/FedEx/DHL/Airborn vans delivering out here!!

For the few places that legitimately require a physical address on file (DMV, police, etc), we give them the nearest milepost marker on the nearest road (still a goodly distance from our actual residence). Only three agencies have our actual physical location (the cabin GPS coordinates): the DNR (because they sold us the property), our satellite internet provider (so we can point the dish), and our EMS provider (so they can med-evac us). Since there are no municipal services in our area, there is no need to register a physical location for any 911 service (which don't extend outside the few larger towns and cities). State and Fed emergency folks only know that we live somewhere within a certain grid.

In our state, while legal NOTICES may be mailed, legal ACTIONS (subpoenas, jury summons, court orders, foreclosures, evictions etc) must be hand delivered and served by a registered authority or licensed courier. If they can't find your home, they may serve you at work or another location you are known to frequent. In any case, you aren't "convicted" of or "liable" for anything until they have physically served you. If your license or vehicle registration has been suspended, and you get stopped by a cop but haven't been served, he can't haul you off to jail or issue you a ticket... but he can serve you the notice to renew or appear in court. The only caveat to this is state and federal tax notices... the state can refuse to issue/renew your licenses (driver, fishing, hunting etc) and garnish/withhold your Permanent Fund Dividend until you appear to dispute it (effectively forcing you to present yourself to be served).

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,671,417 times
p.o. box....
way to go...
well worth the yearly fee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living