Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Last I heard you can have mail sent to gee ral delivery to the local post office address. Haven't checked for awhile but it use to be common.Many such agencies such as DMV require a mailing address in most states to be granted a drivers license.Not sure if they accpert e-mial address now tho.Most even fine for not keeping it cureent under licanse laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan
That is what I did, however .............since mail delivery was available to me and I refused, I have to pay $44 a year for that PO box
Isnt that quite stupid?? (hehe)

If you had a MAILBOX then wouldnt get any $$$$ (Mail delivery is free)

Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
This is a strange question, even stranger is the reply's.. However, I do know of several people up here in Upper Michigan, who live off the grid , and , its not by choice. This means no mail ether. Most have cell phones , and lap tops, which they only use once a week when they come out of the woods to the local Starbucks.These people ether have a " box" at Ups store ( I did that for several years, great thing, however you can now be traced and refused a drivers License that way ) I think you can still get your mail at General delivery, which the P.O. keeps in a box behind the counter. For many years migrant ,seasonal workers do not have a legal address, or , they give out the same address in Texas , as , they all use the same Drivers license!!
Strange thing though, most all of travelers , workers, have a prepaid cell phone. It can be cheaper than having a permanent account..I for one would not want to be off the Grid,so to speak. Many of us have responsibilities, relatives, and friends, who could need to contact you in emergency You also need credit cards, or you can't fly on a plane or rent a car with out one. I have tried using my debit card, no deal, they know ! ( I Cary no credit cards so I rent no cars ! ) I gave up my land line both internet and voice, I had no choice. MyFi Works as good as cable most of the time.and I am only 4 miles from city centere.
Too me, I like the internet, if for no other reason, a record is established in type you can print out. If you have nothing, own nothing, don't care about EMS or other things like Doctors, etc, then go for it, I know some in my own Family that live that way, I could not handle it ! ( Age also makes a difference with the medical needs ).The day will come when credit and debit cards are no more, and that's a good thing.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Isnt that quite stupid?? (hehe)

If you had a MAILBOX then wouldnt get any $$$$ (Mail delivery is free)

The reason was the first house we moved to we did a 5 month lease and there was no mailbox so I got a PO BOX

After that we bought a house only 1/2 mile from the post office, so why change my address on everything.

The $44 is worth it because I don't have to wait til 3:00 for the mailman and I don't have to buy 2 or 3 mailboxes per year ( the number that usually got vandalized every year.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
After many internet searches this is the only thread I can find on this topic. I do not live in a rural area - I'm in suburban Dallas - but I also have no use for snail mail any more. All I get are bags full of junk mail with very rare exceptions. I believe these exceptions can be sent to me via certified mail (to my door with signature), or Fedex/UPS. All my bills, financial statements, etc. are online. I'm really sick of cleaning out a bag full of junk mail from my box all the time. Given that the ration is about 1:100 of mail I want vs junk mail, it's inevitable I'm going to accidentally throw something away. I think it would be better for someone to get a "mail refused" notice so they send it via some other means or call me by phone.

Jury summons is obviously one concern, but I'm thinking they'll contact me some other way if they get a notice that the mail wasn't delivered. Has anyone pulled this off successfully?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent Texan View Post
After many internet searches this is the only thread I can find on this topic. I do not live in a rural area - I'm in suburban Dallas - but I also have no use for snail mail any more. All I get are bags full of junk mail with very rare exceptions. I believe these exceptions can be sent to me via certified mail (to my door with signature), or Fedex/UPS. All my bills, financial statements, etc. are online. I'm really sick of cleaning out a bag full of junk mail from my box all the time. Given that the ration is about 1:100 of mail I want vs junk mail, it's inevitable I'm going to accidentally throw something away. I think it would be better for someone to get a "mail refused" notice so they send it via some other means or call me by phone.

Jury summons is obviously one concern, but I'm thinking they'll contact me some other way if they get a notice that the mail wasn't delivered. Has anyone pulled this off successfully?
Yes , go back and read my post on this. There are many people that live off the grid of life, they are the backbone for the underground culture , its in the millions ! They pay no taxes except in a store when its collected by the merchant.This includes income tax both state and Federal. Most have several empty lot addresses for when they are being demanded to provide so. Many do a lot of barter/trade for services and or the reverse. No checking account , always cash their work checks at the currency /pay day loan place, for a cash fee. Prepaid cell phones for sure ( which are often cheaper ). They use the emergency room for health care.No credit cards of any kind. Most are self employed trade labor for cash. Live on little ether in the woods , or in the city in an apartment where they pay cash weekly or monthly. Often do own a car , but its registered in someone else's name and they use THAT persons drivers license , especially if they are migrant workers. They all have the same address and ID. At the end of the year their employer needs to send out a W2 , with the possibility they will get money back as its taken out of their paycheck anyway. Most employers no longer attempt to track down their seasonal workers as the given address is usually invalid anyway...... You too can " disappear" about any time, most to be sucessful this way , work on contract and are assumed self employed.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 PM

25 posts, read 70,451 times
Just become a subsistence migrant worker and pick tomatoes in the 115° heat. That should teach them to send you junk mail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
The assumption that you can force government agencies to jump to your will by refusing mail (which was the OP's plan) will likely bite you in the azz.

Jury summons are sent by USPS and contain instructions on where to call or what website to go to in order to check if you need to attend on the appointed jury date. Don't show and see what happens.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The assumption that you can force government agencies to jump to your will by refusing mail (which was the OP's plan) will likely bite you in the azz.

Jury summons are sent by USPS and contain instructions on where to call or what website to go to in order to check if you need to attend on the appointed jury date. Don't show and see what happens.
These people are connected in a limited way. They go to the Public library for their internet. ....I am well aware of how the system works , I have a Son who long ago decided to live this lifestyle. He is 50 years old not , still doing it. We hear from him once a year of Facebook , sometimes.....

Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Mom no longer wanted any of the third class junk mail. No more flyers or ads from local stores, cluttering up her box. She was told it was required.

That junk mail keeps the USPS afloat. It is not about you, it is about money for the post office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living