Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

We get all of our bills by e-mail or text message alert now. Other than Christmas cards, almost all of our mail is junk that I put into the recycling bin without looking at it. I know one guy that hates junk mail so he saves it up and once a month ships it to one of the senders. We opted out of the phone book delivery after not using one in several years with everything we need including addresses and phone numbers available online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
darstar
You say in the phonebook we were listed as which mountain we lived on. So you must have had electric and phone.How did you get the bills?
Most of us had a PO box, which there always was a waiting list for. WE DID get mail via the star route contractor., just that they did not come to our house, but to a central location at the base of every mountain. So....yes we did have a mail address, it was one of our own making, no rules. AS time went by , and UPS and FedEx came on the grid more than once a week max.it was still difficult to get them to come to your door. ( they did not have 4X4 as a rule, but did experiment with one, which did not work so well).

We were all on a private phone company at the start ( party line ). then AT&T came in, everyone had a 10' dish for Sat. Electric was via a co-oop which we all owned, cheap power via hydro....but then the Board decided to sell our power to Chicago and our rates went sky Hi ! .... What changed things the most was the wealthy folks who had summer only million dollar homes tucked away around us. They wanted their Wall Street Journal every morning on time at their doorstep. Somehow they got what they wanted and the mail service did improve. The Atlanta Journal was only available at the general store 2 miles away. Our town center was around 6 miles via twisty Mountain roads with no guard rails . the views of the Blue Ridge was worth every penny.!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
What about the census bureau mailings? I thought you HAD to fill out that form, and if you didn't have a mailbox, how would you receive the form to comply? I suppose that can all be done online now, too. I like this question though!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
What about the census bureau mailings? I thought you HAD to fill out that form, and if you didn't have a mailbox, how would you receive the form to comply? I suppose that can all be done online now, too. I like this question though!
There IS an army of people hired to go door to door for the census count.Always was that way , as I recall.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There IS an army of people hired to go door to door for the census count.Always was that way , as I recall.
They manage to send waves of battalions of multilingual census workers into urban areas, but a few miles out of town . . .

Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
I don't know. I work at the PO as a carrier. If someone doesn't have a mailbox for whatever reason (Like a car running into it--hint,hint) we just mark it "No Receptacle" and send it back.

If someone has a mailbox on the house and then sells the house, the new resident must put up a curbside box.

If they don't do that, we send it back "No receptacle".

I have never been told that someone has to have a mailbox whether they want mail or not.

PLEASE don't ask your carrier to throw away your junk mail for you. We are just the messengers. We can get fired for throwing your mail away..

I get so tired of explaining this out on the street. Throw your own crap away, people!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Well, I gave in, and the mailbox is back with the door removed. Apparently, although it is not illegal, it is frowned upon by nosy neighbors who are making me an unwanted celebrity and a local nutcase.

Folks.

The original poster gave in.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I don't know. I work at the PO as a carrier. If someone doesn't have a mailbox for whatever reason (Like a car running into it--hint,hint) we just mark it "No Receptacle" and send it back.

If someone has a mailbox on the house and then sells the house, the new resident must put up a curbside box.

If they don't do that, we send it back "No receptacle".

I have never been told that someone has to have a mailbox whether they want mail or not.

PLEASE don't ask your carrier to throw away your junk mail for you. We are just the messengers. We can get fired for throwing your mail away..

I get so tired of explaining this out on the street. Throw your own crap away, people!
I never knew that......and I think sending the mail back in an instance like that is a nasty thing to do.

You should give the homeowner at least a couple of days to get a new mailbox put up before you start sending mail back, IMO.

If my mailbox was taken out by a car or a snowplow, it would take me a couple of days to get a new one and find someone to put it up for me.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I never knew that......and I think sending the mail back in an instance like that is a nasty thing to do.

You should give the homeowner at least a couple of days to get a new mailbox put up before you start sending mail back, IMO.

If my mailbox was taken out by a car or a snowplow, it would take me a couple of days to get a new one and find someone to put it up for me.

Many post offices do.

A car hit my sons driveway in a snowstorm and flipped . It took out the mail box and post.
The weather was below zero and it was during the time of his mother's ( my wife's wake and funeral )

The mail box was not replaced for a week as all posts are installed by a crew since he lives on a state highway and that is the rule.

All his mail was held for him and it was a lot due to many sympathy cards.( thank you Freeport MN Post Office and mail carrier ))
When the box finally got replaced, it was packed full for 2 days.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We have had a post office box since 1975. Never thought about ignoring the mail there. We get lots of mail. I don't trust computers because of identity theft. Give me the hard copy proof.

Only problem we have encountered is when someone will not deliver to a post office box. Once my husband ordered something and got that response and looked at the letter and guess what, they had a post office box. So he threatened to send back a response that he did not pay to a post office box. LOL. It was some prize from a cereal box. Just didn't happen. We love getting our mail when we want it.

Good thing to mark on mail that comes to you unwanted is deceased and undeliverable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living