U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Don't flatter yourself City_boi. Small towners don't waste their time "looking down" at city-goers. Have too much to do like shave the sheep, dust the crops, scale the fish, repair the pick up, and make floats for the annual Blueberry Bog Festival.

What is the goal of this thread anyway? Seems to have developed from a simple question to major criticism of how people choose to live.
Yes, because everyone in small towns "shave the sheep and dust the crops." I grew up in a town of 8,000 in a county of 40,000 and there were probably 10 small family farms.

Stop with the bs people. Yes, you all just drink your sweet tea by the lake. Give me a break. I grew up in a small town escaped when I was 22 in southern Illinois. I was cussed out for taking a "late" delivery from Domino's several times. Had doors slammed in my face because the idiot left her porch light off and didn't answer her phone. Watched black people get "n*gger" screamed out the car window at them, from a car that I was in with a friend. Have several "town drunks" and have lost 1 friend in my class of 100 kids to suicide, two to two separate motorcycle accidents while drunk. Yes, yes, the good life in this small town.

I have a friend who still lives there and can't wait to get out. We always joke about the idiotic idea that "in a city you don't know your neighbors." He said "Yes in my friendly little town here I got cussed out at work tonight because I didn't arrive to their house with the delivery quickly enough."

In my friendly little town of Benton, Illinois my cars were broken in to 3 times in a period of 8 months. Before you argue that "Well that's a special circumstance!" Is it? It's a town of about 7,800-8,000, just under 99% white with no urban area within 100 miles. Yes, so perfect!

And to the mental giant who said you go to dinner and come out to your car to a bum begging for money, I'd like to know where the hell you are eating. I eat at neighborhood restaurants - ya know, neighborhoods that are full of people of the neighborhood, not bums. Downtown St Louis has some problems with bums, but that's it. I eat all over the city and have to say I recall 1 time being asked for some "change" to which I responded "No" and that was it. Sorry, but my city neighborhood of about 10,000 does not have bums or anyone asking for money at any of the local spots.

More stereotypical ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,952,884 times
Lol, it's hardly Utopia out here. But I like it. I can have meaningful conversation with the alligator lizard that lives in my pumphouse, pass the time of day with a passing tumbleweed, say howdy to the red tailed hawks that live in the cottonwood grove up the way, watch the bats at sunset keep the sheeters down, discuss philosophy of life with the bullsnakes that help me with gopher and other vermin issues, watch the dogs chase rabbits, usually to no avail( I doubt they would know what to do if they actually caught one) listen to the coyote communication network and catch up on the desert gossip,sit and quietly think with a horney toad ( they are not much on conversation but they are deep thinkers)...Hell, don't get any bettern' this. Oh, lol, almost forgot about our killdeer. They hatch a brood in my pasture every year. Watching the little ones follow mama around is quite entertaining. Then we have our barn cats, quite aloof and regal on their haybale thrones. At least until the magpies take a notion to annoy them with dive bombing attacks, the scene is most amusing. Oh my...have I rambled on?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,912,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Yes, because everyone in small towns "shave the sheep and dust the crops." ...Stop with the bs people. Yes, you all just drink your sweet tea by the lake. Give me a break.
Okay, okay, So I don't own any sheep to shave. But my neighbor does . . .

I think NVplumber's got it right -- it's not such a bad life where you can distinguish the difference of frogs croaking, where you're sense of smell is so sharp that you can tell the distinct difference between a pig farm, a cow farm, and a chicken farm, where you can get fantastic ice cream with crunchies from the local dairy bar (a truly hip thing if it were in the city) even if it's on the roadside and made of cinder blocks, and where Sunday evening conversations revolve around the existence of the Jersey Devil or who's going to repair your Mom's septic tank? Ah, the joy of sitting under the moon at the edge of a lake so black that it looks like a mirror. Or driving by where someone is renovating their house and puts vintage sinks on the side of the road with a sign that says "Free." Fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, homemade peach cobbler, wine served at the diner from the vineyard down the road.

Okay, there is the ugly stuff in small towns -- no doubt. But who wants to think about that when you're surrounded by so much more?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,355,061 times
Quote:
Yes, because everyone in small towns "shave the sheep and dust the crops." I grew up in a town of 8,000 in a county of 40,000 and there were probably 10 small family farms.

Stop with the bs people. Yes, you all just drink your sweet tea by the lake. Give me a break. I grew up in a small town escaped when I was 22 in southern Illinois. I was cussed out for taking a "late" delivery from Domino's several times. Had doors slammed in my face because the idiot left her porch light off and didn't answer her phone. Watched black people get "n*gger" screamed out the car window at them, from a car that I was in with a friend. Have several "town drunks" and have lost 1 friend in my class of 100 kids to suicide, two to two separate motorcycle accidents while drunk. Yes, yes, the good life in this small town.

I have a friend who still lives there and can't wait to get out. We always joke about the idiotic idea that "in a city you don't know your neighbors." He said "Yes in my friendly little town here I got cussed out at work tonight because I didn't arrive to their house with the delivery quickly enough."

In my friendly little town of Benton, Illinois my cars were broken in to 3 times in a period of 8 months. Before you argue that "Well that's a special circumstance!" Is it? It's a town of about 7,800-8,000, just under 99% white with no urban area within 100 miles. Yes, so perfect!

And to the mental giant who said you go to dinner and come out to your car to a bum begging for money, I'd like to know where the hell you are eating. I eat at neighborhood restaurants - ya know, neighborhoods that are full of people of the neighborhood, not bums. Downtown St Louis has some problems with bums, but that's it. I eat all over the city and have to say I recall 1 time being asked for some "change" to which I responded "No" and that was it. Sorry, but my city neighborhood of about 10,000 does not have bums or anyone asking for money at any of the local spots.

More stereotypical ignorance.
Hell,I didn't think there was that much trouble in Franklin county..shows what little I know I guess...My Mom has lived north of Benton up in Franklin county for several years now and other than her arsehole neighbor's pits getting loose a time or two,she's had zero problems and the cops were there within 5 minutes and even hauled the idiot off to jail the last time for having a mouth problem.

(Pits and Meth/dopeheads seem to go hand in hand in this area)

AJ,I have seen many of your posts slamming SI in the past...that leads me to believe you had more problems here than you are saying(which is fine and none of my affairs).This area is not that bad.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,587,197 times
Quote:
It absolutely shocks me that people find it surprising that there are murders every day in a metro area of 3 million people.
I never said it shocked me did I? No, what I said is that the types of crime differ. Did you read the entire post, or just the first little bit and decided it must have shocked me and tossed out your little tidbit of information? Did you read where I have lived in large metro areas, or just skipped over that part. Been in both, prefer the small towns and rural areas.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Hell,I didn't think there was that much trouble in Franklin county..shows what little I know I guess...My Mom has lived north of Benton up in Franklin county for several years now and other than her arsehole neighbor's pits getting loose a time or two,she's had zero problems and the cops were there within 5 minutes and even hauled the idiot off to jail the last time for having a mouth problem.

(Pits and Meth/dopeheads seem to go hand in hand in this area)

AJ,I have seen many of your posts slamming SI in the past...that leads me to believe you had more problems here than you are saying(which is fine and none of my affairs).This area is not that bad.
What's your point? Your mom is out of city limits? So what does she/you know about living on Buchanan St. or Madison St., or Fairland, or Lawrence, or Frisco these days? Or the apartments behind the hospital? When I was out of city limits, never a problem. In the wonderful small town of Benton, took me less than a month or two to my cars broken in to.

I like southern Illinois when I go home to visit, visiting with friends and my family. Love sitting out by Rend Lake by the dam, but also love getting back on 57 N then 64 W.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,355,061 times
Quote:
What's your point? Your mom is out of city limits? So what does she/you know about living on Buchanan St. or Madison St., or Fairland, or Lawrence, or Frisco these days? Or the apartments behind the hospital? When I was out of city limits, never a problem. In the wonderful small town of Benton, took me less than a month or two to my cars broken in to.

I like southern Illinois when I go home to visit, visiting with friends and my family. Love sitting out by Rend Lake by the dam, but also love getting back on 57 N then 64 W.
That makes one of us

Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM

411 posts, read 1,060,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Don't flatter yourself City_boi. Small towners don't waste their time "looking down" at city-goers. Have too much to do like shave the sheep, dust the crops, scale the fish, repair the pick up, and make floats for the annual Blueberry Bog Festival.

What is the goal of this thread anyway? Seems to have developed from a simple question to major criticism of how people choose to live.
Oh don't give me this. I am not flattering myself. A lot of people around where I live act like I'm crazy and naive when I say I want to live in a big city so excuse me for getting the idea that many small towners look down on big cities &/or city people!

And when did I ever criticize people for living in a small town? WHEN?! The only things I criticized were small towners' stereotypes of the city!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,912,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
A lot of people around where I live act like I'm crazy and naive when I say I want to live in a big city so excuse me for getting the idea that many small towners look down on big cities &/or city people!
Hey, that's deep. Even when I lived in the big city I cannot recall small towners looking down at me, for ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
And when did I ever criticize people for living in a small town? WHEN?! The only things I criticized were small towners' stereotypes of the city!
My past thread read " . . . What is the goal of this thread anyway? Seems to have developed from a simple question to major criticism of how people choose to live." This was not aimed directly at you or anyone specifically. It is a comment on the general nature of how this thread has developed.

Wow, you're really angry. Why don't you come out to the sticks sometime (i.e. the NJ Pine Barrens Preservation)? Sounds like you could use a little relaxin'.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,012,298 times
Kids in small towns in west Texas move to Lubbock and Amarillo. Kids in Lubbock move to Dallas or Houston and kids there move to New York City or LA. Change the name of the cities and it's been a fairly standard migration pattern for youthful Americans for many years. Many years ago I moved from a small town in New Mexico to New Orleans where I worked for several years in the French Quarter, then later to Washington D.C where I worked inside the Beltway for almost a decade. Now I live four miles outside a small west Texas town of 1200 people and love it. I think there were two cars and a tractor that passed in front of the house today. There were, however, two beautiful male ring-neck pheasants beside the barn this morning and a soaring Swainson's hawk above the pasture this afternoon. I have no quarrel with people who want to live in the city. If everyone loved country living there would be no rural America and I would not have 5 acres of pasture to mow tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living