Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,085 times

Advertisements

Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?

Just reading some threads here, I get the feeling that many people here have a lot of stereotypes about bigger cities. But at the same time, you guys complain about city people holding stereotypes about you!

While I know city slickers should understand your love for small towns, you should understand that not everyone in a big city is mean, cold, and snobby. Just know that some people like the things cities have to offer, while others like what rural America has to offer. One is not better than the other overall, it's just that one is better for you, not the whole world.

One thing I dislike about small towns is that people in them seem to think that their lifestyle is the best and that anyone who wants to live in a city is crazy. Small towns aren't perfect! Respect the fact that they aren't for everyone. Many people, including me, would hate to know everyone in my town. And not knowing everyone isn't just a city thing. People who live in a town with a pop. of 60,000 certainly don't know everyone.

Also, you should know that last summer I went to New York City, and everyone was SOO nice. Someone gave us directions to a subway station and we didn't even ask! A waitress who served us was a native New Yorker and was as nice as could be.

Anyway, I kinda want to know if you think that people in small towns are more kind and "real" while people in big cities are rude, stuck up, and materialistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,492 times
Never had real problems in a Large City and I've lived and been to several.The only real problem got in a fight with a drunk in NYC.But I could have this problem in a Small town.

If I lived in the city I would make use of everything it had to offer.Last time I lived in a city I made use of the Bus Service,Job Market,worked for myself Unloading Trucks.Loved to Party,did it about every day.

The only problem I have is Traffic all the time.They don't like you Target Shooting from the Back Yard.They Frown on Livestock.Lots of places don't care for you hanging several Deer in your yard.Sure as heck if you pee in your yard someone is going to see you and say something.I'm sure I can think of alot more.

hillman

Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Lots of places don't care for you hanging several Deer in your yard.Sure as heck if you pee in your yard someone is going to see you and say something.
That's probably not limited to large cities.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
That's probably not limited to large cities.
What hagging Deer in Yard or peeing in it? Do both around here all the time. Wife told me not so close to the house its starting to stink.

hillman

Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
What hagging Deer in Yard or peeing in it? Do both around here all the time. Wife told me not so close to the house its starting to stink.

hillman
Ok, that's just gross and people anywhere wouldn't want to see their neighbor peeing in the front yard.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,079 times
I have lived in a good-sized city (300,000 people) as well as a large metropolitan area (1. 5 million) inthe U.S. And then I also lived in Europe in a city that was pushing 10 million. Now, my town is so sparse as to barely be called a town, and I love it a lot more.

I do have something against big cities (crime, pollution, solicitations, traffic -- the obvious big ones that most small-town people have). But I also don't like congestion in general. The concrete jungle isn't for me, especially now that I've gotten a little older (at 31) and don't need to bar-hop to socialize or meet a woman (I'm happily married).

That doesn't mean that I have something against big-city people -- well maybe certain big city people, yeah. You just have to look around this forum to figure out who those culprits might be.

Though I guess the thing that bothers me most about big-city people is that many think that everything to life is in their city. I feel sad for those "proud" New Yorkers who are the second or third generation in their families that haven't learned how to drive. Really? That means you miss the winding beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway or the off-the-beaten-paths of Europe. Everything has to be so mainstream for them.

I do like to go to some big cities to visit and to get a lot of the things I can't get in my rural area, but I know my place when I'm there. I've done a lot of traveling, so I know how to fit in and be happy without being obnoxious or standoffish. I am disappointed that I sometimes feel I don't get that same courtesy when city people visit my area.

As I said, in general, I don't like cities. I understand that some people do, but you don't have to convince me that your world is awesome. If it works for you, fine. It won't for me because I've lived it, and I tend to be bored and wind up broke when I spend more than a day or two in a big city.

Overall, I enjoy Chicago, Baltimore and Seattle. They're the exceptions. I loathe NYC, Cleveland, Washington and most of the rest of the pack I've visited.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Well City Boi, I'll shoot it like I see it. I don't like the city. It's crowded, folks do seem a bit standoffish and scared of a stranger who says howdy, the noise and general feeling of pandemonium makes me grit my teeth, long lines, sitting in traffic, everybody is in such a hurry to get where they are going they are willing to risk death on the freeway to gain two car lengths. In contrast, I wake up to the neighbor down the ways donkey braying in the morning. 5 AM, better than any alarm clock, I walk out the door to the sound of the birds waking up in my big Cottonwood tree, and watch the Jack rabbits scurry off my grass. Insted of the smell of pavement, I smell the fields and the animal smell of the livestock. pople in the town nearby actually stop on the street to let people back out of the parking places on Main street, and nobody insists on the right of way at the stop signs. Things are a tad slower paced, so no one cares about that two car lengths I mentioned earlier. Oh, we have our problems too. The Meth heads live out here just like they do in the cities, and we have our share of low lifes, but they know their place. They pull something on the extreme end of stupid and they know Hell will follow. We watch out for each other herebouts. It's not paradise. Takes a lot of work to live out here. But my front yard is 5 MILLION acres of open high desert, that I can ride for three days across before I see a fence, let alone another person, if I so choose. It's my preferance, it's not for everybody, and my wife and I do like to go to the city every now and again for a little fun. Go shopping, stay in a nice hotel, take the little guy to Cabelas (his favorite place) for a new fishing pole or whatever. But there's no place like home sweet home to me.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,420 times
So who has actually answered the question thus far? Maybe Hillman, everyone else? Fail.

The question was; "Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?"

Perhaps one of the most annoying, over-used cliches is that in cities, "you don't know your neighbor." In small towns, "if you get your car stuck in a ditch, your neighbor will come pull you out." If you live in a small town, "people will bend over backwards and give you the shirt off his back."

Where I live right in the city, if I have the hood of my car open or even a tool set out, my neighbor will be there in minutes. The other day I needed to clean my battery posts in my car and asked him a question. Instead of just answering, he did the whole job for me, including putting it back together.

I came home last week and the front of my house had been mowed and weedeated. Thanks, "neighbor I don't know."

So any way, the question in translation is; many, if not most of you seem to be angry at people who chose a different lifestyle from you - why does that upset you? Shouldn't you be happy that us "cidiots" don't come up and crime up and yuppify your town? Of course you should, we'll just screw it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well City Boi, I'll shoot it like I see it. I don't like the city. It's crowded, folks do seem a bit standoffish and scared of a stranger who says howdy, the noise and general feeling of pandemonium makes me grit my teeth, long lines, sitting in traffic, everybody is in such a hurry to get where they are going they are willing to risk death on the freeway to gain two car lengths. In contrast, I wake up to the neighbor down the ways donkey braying in the morning. 5 AM, better than any alarm clock, I walk out the door to the sound of the birds waking up in my big Cottonwood tree, and watch the Jack rabbits scurry off my grass. Insted of the smell of pavement, I smell the fields and the animal smell of the livestock. pople in the town nearby actually stop on the street to let people back out of the parking places on Main street, and nobody insists on the right of way at the stop signs. Things are a tad slower paced, so no one cares about that two car lengths I mentioned earlier. Oh, we have our problems too. The Meth heads live out here just like they do in the cities, and we have our share of low lifes, but they know their place. They pull something on the extreme end of stupid and they know Hell will follow. We watch out for each other herebouts. It's not paradise. Takes a lot of work to live out here. But my front yard is 5 MILLION acres of open high desert, that I can ride for three days across before I see a fence, let alone another person, if I so choose. It's my preferance, it's not for everybody, and my wife and I do like to go to the city every now and again for a little fun. Go shopping, stay in a nice hotel, take the little guy to Cabelas (his favorite place) for a new fishing pole or whatever. But there's no place like home sweet home to me.
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! But why? Because your stereotypes are exactly what City_Boi was talking about

Just as he mentioned, you all hate redneck, backwoods stereotypes, but are quick to label everyone in the city as idiots who sit in traffic 9 hours a day.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
I do have something against big cities (crime, pollution, solicitations, traffic
Small towns can have just as much crime and prostitues (if that is what you meant by "solicitation").
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
I feel sad for those "proud" New Yorkers who are the second or third generation in their families that haven't learned how to drive.
Taking public transit is good for the environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
In contrast, I wake up to the neighbor down the ways donkey braying in the morning. 5 AM, better than any alarm clock, I walk out the door to the sound of the birds waking up in my big Cottonwood tree, and watch the Jack rabbits scurry off my grass. Insted of the smell of pavement, I smell the fields and the animal smell of the livestock. pople in the town nearby actually stop on the street to let people back out of the parking places on Main street, and nobody insists on the right of way at the stop signs. Things are a tad slower paced, so no one cares about that two car lengths I mentioned earlier.
See, this is what I am talking about. You have this atitude that what you described is better than anything else. That may be good for you, but some people love arising to the sound of a city "waking up," with busy streets and people walking to work and stopping for their morning coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Perhaps one of the most annoying, over-used cliches is that in cities, "you don't know your neighbor." In small towns, "if you get your car stuck in a ditch, your neighbor will come pull you out." If you live in a small town, "people will bend over backwards and give you the shirt off his back."

Where I live right in the city, if I have the hood of my car open or even a tool set out, my neighbor will be there in minutes. The other day I needed to clean my battery posts in my car and asked him a question. Instead of just answering, he did the whole job for me, including putting it back together.

I came home last week and the front of my house had been mowed and weedeated. Thanks, "neighbor I don't know."
Exactly. I read in another thread that someone went to NYC and was surprised how each building was like a little community where a lot of people knew each other. People also knew the clerk at their local grocery store or something along those lines. And personally, I would not want to live in town where I knew EVERYONE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
So who has actually answered the question thus far? Maybe Hillman, everyone else? Fail.

The question was; "Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?"

So any way, the question in translation is; many, if not most of you seem to be angry at people who chose a different lifestyle from you - why does that upset you? Shouldn't you be happy that us "cidiots" don't come up and crime up and yuppify your town? Of course you should, we'll just screw it up!

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! But why? Because your stereotypes are exactly what City_Boi was talking about

Just as he mentioned, you all hate redneck, backwoods stereotypes, but are quick to label everyone in the city as idiots who sit in traffic 9 hours a day.
Once again, I have found myself totally agreeing and siding with you!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Well, I can see where this thread is going to go from the last couple posts, but here is my answer anyway.

Quote:
Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?
Yes I have something against the big city. No I do NOT have anything against the people who live in big cities. Yes I just prefer small towns.

What do I have against big cities? violent crime for one thing. Don't lecture me about how small towns have the same crime problems big cities do either, I know better. Big cities have more violent crime, small towns have more petty crime generally. In the 152 years my small town has been named and considered a town, there has NEVER been a murder. When was the last murder in your big city? or should I ask how many today? Assaults? There are 1 or 2 a year and usually involve a couple drunks. Robberies? 1 in the last 10 years. Rapes? there was 1 back in 2005 and I think 1 in 2004. I have lived big city life and while it was fun for a short time it isn't for me.
Traffic is another reason I can't stand the big city. 9 Hours a day? come on, who even insinuated that? What was said is that traffic is much worse in big cities than in small towns. That statement is 100% true. It doesn't mean us dumb hicks think you spend the majority of the day stuck on the freeway sucking fumes, it just means you spend MORE time than we do dealing with traffic. At the ONE stop light in town today was as much traffic as I have had to deal with all summer - a truck pulling a camper, a pick-up, and 2 cars were ahead of me; for us in small towns that is a busy day and added a whopping 10 or 15 seconds to our commute. How much time do you have to allow to travel 10 miles at 5 PM in your city taking the major routes? I have to allow about 12 minutes to go 10 miles at that time.

People? I have met some really great people while living in big cities. Personable, friendly, outgoing and generally fun to be around. Same can be said for help at restaurants, gas stations, and any other place you can go. I also had great neighbors in the cities I have lived in, so I know what you mean by them being friendly. The major difference I have seen between big city neighbors and small town neighbors are the size of the yards you mow for them when they are on vacation. Cities you tend to have small yards because space is valuable and expensive, while in my small town a 1/2 acre lot in town isn't that unusual. One neighbor/friend has a 6 acre lot in town, another has a 3 1/2 acre lot in town.

Prefer a small town? Yes I do. I don't like hustle and bustle, I don't like traffic noise, I don't like traffic at all to tell the truth. I can leave to go to the beach and forget to shut the front door for a few hours and laugh when I pull back into the driveway instead of having a panic attack. (Son left the front door open last week... again) House keys? Really, you have those and actually USE them? No that is not being foolish or stupid either, that is small town mindset. Everybody knows everybody, all the neighbors watch out for each other and each others houses. If you want to live in the big city and find it more your speed and a better fit, great! If somebody wants to change and give the small town a try, great! Just don't keep trying to compare a town of 1200, to a city of 1.2 million; just as the majority of those who move to the big city from the small towns don't try to vilify the city because it isn't small. If I don't think the city life is all that great, don't ask the question then attack somebodies answer when it doesn't agree with your own mindset. All that does is make this a thread you started on this particular forum in order to start a flame war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living