U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM

5,235 posts, read 11,810,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
lol - I would be dishonest if I wouldn't admit that the thought may have crossed my mind ... however, really like the place [house + pond + outbuilding + yards + area], and coupled w/ the cost [financial + mental] of selling, moving, etc., no, that is not an option - unless got transferred or took another job. Which did happen before: when lived in NE 'bama, had place where if sat on front porch, had view to the westerly direction off of the hill we was situated upon,,, but then shyster greedy neighbor wanted to build another house for her quick "build and sell" 'scheme' [continuation of her & her ex-husband's plans ] - and of course, this new house was smack dab in the middle of my porch and the sunset view over the Tennessee River valley. So, when offer came to move back to IN, that was a significant factor in the decision - leaving AL behind was not easy, esp. for a fool that loves to crawl in holes in the ground [caves]... leaving area that had over 3000 of 'em w/in 1 hour drive + all the gorgeous water falls and warm weather for this relatively flat wind-swept corn & soybean tundra land was not an easy decision. [note: this area of IN is , but in its own special manner ]. BTW, if interested, can check out my album - there are a couple photos there of the pond area.
Oh, I love your pond and the rural living. It seems as though you've had some problems with people spoiling beautiful land. I wish you the best and that whatever you decide to do, it will be sufficient.

P.S. I love your doggie!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,470,448 times
This is the reason you need so much acreage that you can't see, hear or smell what your neighbor is doing. And put your house smack in the middle of that acreage and put a barb wire fence around it with no trespassing signs....

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Do some google searching on how to control it... may need some attention like trenches around it to control the spread of the roots.

Start breeding Pandas. That'll keep the bamboo in check! (And possibly the neighbors pits too... I hear Pandas are quite vicious, but VERY quiet!)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
This is the reason you need so much acreage that you can't see, hear or smell what your neighbor is doing. And put your house smack in the middle of that acreage and put a barb wire fence around it with no trespassing signs....
lol, yea, that is for sure! I've been told by some folks that I remind them of the stories of Daniel Boone - supposedly if he could see the smoke curling out of the hills from someone else's homestead, he'd pack up and move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Oh, I love your pond and the rural living. It seems as though you've had some problems with people spoiling beautiful land. I wish you the best and that whatever you decide to do, it will be sufficient.

P.S. I love your doggie!!!
thanks - appreciate that... and yea, she's my sweetheart

Apples&Oranges - as to the bamboo, yea, as said tho' while I admire its fast and thick growth, I don't know if want that 'wall' look - prefer more natural scene, such as what some thicker bush or hedge could provide... but, have not discounted the bamboo option out yet.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
I have seen that alot in rural areas where the people don't want zoning.Today's unzoned country is tomorrows who know what.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,861,381 times
That stinks...I'd personally go with a giant privacy fence, and plant trees on my side of it.
The dog situation is intolerable. In my neck of the woods, a dog that runs onto a neighbor's property more than once and makes a nuisance out of itself, is generally shot. Not pleasant, but that's how it goes.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,291 times
Hey Shadow,

Sorry to hear that your new neighbors have intruded on your peace and quiet. Any chance that you could speak with them about it? It may backfire, but maybe you could explain how you appreciate your natural surroundings and the sounds of nature, and they may understand it and keep the noise down, and their dog inside. Any way to befriend the dog...then it might transform into a welcome visitor as opposed to a threatening nuisance? I like the idea of a privacy barrier of some sort. Do you think you could buy the land still? An RV isn't a permanent structure and they may just be renting the land. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,869,007 times
Quote:
yeah thats true, a buffer area is priceless to country life. thats one of the reasons i want to move from where i am, to little amount of land, to much noise and to close a neighbor. it just about ruins country living for me.

why not go over and talk to these pple about their dog, in a polite and friendly way, of course. its not the dogs fault he has idiots for owners. i dont know anything about that hedge pple mentioned, but i do know fences make good neighbors. my new neighbor spends most saturdays riding an atv up and down the gravel road in front of my house. its loud and makes me angery. i cant imagine what fun that would be, back and forth for hours. i so wish i could move. good luck to you.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM

87 posts, read 221,816 times
Sorry about your trashy neighbor. I lived in relative peace for nearly 10 years at my last house. Then my next door neighbor moved. New owners were absolute garbage. Frequent loud parties. Large barking dog that would bark for HOURS every night (no noise ordinance in the county). Complaints to these "wonderful" people fell on deaf ears. Dumb lady actually admitted the stupid dog kept her up at night too, but she was unwilling to do much about it. Let me tell you that no sleep for weeks on end can really make an otherwise decent person contemplate violence against animals and people.

I ended up remarrying and moving to another city shortly thereafter, but there's generally a jerk every place you go.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,538,457 times
Quote:
Yup...or a property that by the way it sits gives you this.

Our 17 acres is secluded,at the end of a 1/4 mile long private driveway and has a large creek as one boundary and a hunting club along one side.

However there is a 'lot' next to ours that just this past weekend had people looking at it,we would have loved to have bought this piece of land as it would really make us insulated from potential neighbors.

One thing is you cannot control what your neighbors do on THEIR land unless you also want them to be able to control what YOU do on YOUR land.

Quick growing trees/shrubs and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or