U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,098,557 times

Advertisements

Be certain you like bamboo before you plant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,558,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Be certain you like bamboo before you plant it.
Not all bamboo is invasive.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,724,231 times
I feel for your problem and I kinda am looking for something in the mountains and what you already enjoy.

I would make it very clear to them that the dogs, weapons and noise is not appreciated and you love your quiet so tell them to Please Stay Away. It is a poblem because they have already shown you they are disruptive.

Then I would go to the town to find out what the law says on raising dogs and Pit Bull dogs and if there is a law that does not allow them to run free. Try to request the local Sheriff or Police officers to see what is going on the property and if they allowed to do what they are doing then you may want to build a barrier between them and you of dirt, trees, or bamboo. I believe it may be difficult to accomplish because of their intrusion on your quiet home but try to stay cool because someone with a weapon should not be permitted on another persons property. Oh! You may need to post "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs . Good luck.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,791,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Good thick "ever-green" bush that grows good in Northern Indiana?
Arbor Vitae intermixed with Barberry bushes. Keeps out the sound *and* trespassers. Highly recommended. Fast growing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM

96 posts, read 319,751 times
To the original poster, I'm sorry things didn't work out they way you expected. There are idiots everywhere unfortunately. Moving to the country from the city provided us with surprises, too.

Unfortunately, moving to the country with a good amount of acreage is no guarantee of peace. Sure, you might not have neighbors and their dogs close by, but, unless you are a complete recluse, you'll have to interact with the locals and the local politics will affect you one way or another. I'm ready to move back to the city.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM

11,287 posts, read 12,815,895 times
I feel your pain. I lived in a quiet area, backyard was against an 80 acre field. Peace and quiet...until they built 50 homes behind me. The moron who bought the home directly behind me had 8 small yappy dogs he kept in the backyard. They barked 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I couldn't sit on my patio, or work in my garden without them barking. Neighbors and I tried talking to him, he would just laugh. I could no longer open my windows in the spring or fall to let the cool breeze in. The city refused to do anything. I tolerated that for 5 years until I finally moved. My apartment complex now is quieter than my home was. It amazes me how inconsiderate people are. Civility is lost.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM

163 posts, read 157,512 times
I know a lot of people oppose zoning. I was once an opponent of it but changed my stance. If you had zoning, this could have perhaps prevented this.
Before we had it, down the road a piece was a couple who bought an old farm place, say ten acres all together. About two years after they moved in, some guy bought an acre right next to them and set up a rendering facility. Now they have to put up with the smell of dead livestock all the time. They can't stand to go outside, and the flies are so intense they gather on their screens in the fall so thick that they eclipse the sun. Raising a garden or doing anything outside is now out. They can only mow the lawn on days they're upwind from the gut yard. So, it could be worse!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 AM

26 posts, read 34,737 times
Angry I know how OP feels-

I have posted this on another thread but would like to vent!

I live on 10 acres in rural SE OKLA that has been in my fam for 60 yrs. My Grandpa owned 15, I own 10 of it. There was never a house here before mine. I have lived on this property for the last 18 yrs. It was a wooded forest. We only cut a few trees for the house and left the rest. Made lots of flower beds, planted fruit trees, dug a pond. Etc .Love watching the deer. Feeding birds. The peace and quiet. It has been truly
home and very nice. Until 3 & 1/2 yrs ago.

Enter the LOUD, meth head, trash every where, music blasting from cars,reeving motors constantly - I mean all the time - wonderful new neighbors.
3 weeks ago meth head wife left the improperly installed wood stove pipe burning too hot - burned my grandpa"s old house to the ground. I stood and watched and bawled. They are in process of putting in mobile home now. So they are here to stay.

I have many trees undergrowth etc between us. I can't sit outside and enjoy nothing anymore. Hell, I even have to listen to it all in my house!!!
Doors and windows closed even. They are 300 feet away.
So even though I hate to I have to move. And I'll have to rent, I own here but have bad credit because of our business failing 3 yrs ago.
Why do people have the right to run others off?? This land has been in my family for a long time. Yea, I am mad as hell.
By the way, who is going to want to buy my place?? No one, it looks like a used car dump, junk yard next door.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:59 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,385,197 times
You havent called the cops yet? or involved the newspapers? SPEAK UP and save your self friend.. untill you do the meth heads will keep making life hell for the rest of the world ..
Dont move .. get even ..
I would be skeet shooting over thier house everyday till they leave .. Post the place on youtube as a Neighbor from hell .. running doesnt save you .. the NfH's must be stamped out ..
call the police.. film the traffic in and out and make it known that drugs are sold there .. CALL the DEA.. ICE and the DHS and let them know there is a terrorist living next door .. demand the police and the country do thier duty ..
Do NOT become a victim of these folks ..
heres a link that you might find interesting on how to survive these kinda folks ..

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations the reading is invaluable and worth your time to do ..

my post was in response to #28 just above me .. Sorry if it seems outta context ..

Last edited by Faworki1947; 12-17-2009 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: eta

Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 34,737 times
Unhappy Yea, been down that road already..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
You havent called the cops yet? or involved the newspapers? SPEAK UP and save your self friend.. untill you do the meth heads will keep making life hell for the rest of the world ..
Dont move .. get even ..
I would be skeet shooting over thier house everyday till they leave .. Post the place on youtube as a Neighbor from hell .. running doesnt save you .. the NfH's must be stamped out ..
call the police.. film the traffic in and out and make it known that drugs are sold there .. CALL the DEA.. ICE and the DHS and let them know there is a terrorist living next door .. demand the police and the country do thier duty ..
Do NOT become a victim of these folks ..
heres a link that you might find interesting on how to survive these kinda folks ..

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations the reading is invaluable and worth your time to do ..

my post was in response to #28 just above me .. Sorry if it seems outta context ..

Thanx for the response, but I been down some of those roads already. This is a small town. If your last name is so and so or if your in the "good ol boy club" or have the right friends etc the law don't apply to you.
I called about their starving, shot, looked half dead dogs. Do you think anyone came out? NO.
I don't think they were selling drugs, just doing them. Never smelled anything funny.
And as for fighting to stay here - I am a woman whose husband is gone off to work alot. Here by myself. Dead end road.

My deceased DH and I fought to get the right to even drive to our property here. The people we had to take to court made our life living HELL. That was 20 yrs ago. They threatened to kill us on a regular basis. Tried running DH off highway several times. Do you think any thing was ever done to them?? NO - "good ol boy club". I could fill this forum with the laws they broke and got away with. But we endured and after a few yrs they gave up. I lived in fear of my life for awhile. DON"T care to do it anymore. Life is too short. And prison don't sound fun.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or