U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 PM

26 posts, read 34,737 times

Advertisements

Prison does not sound fun......... but OREGON does!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,760,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
I know a lot of people oppose zoning. I was once an opponent of it but changed my stance. If you had zoning, this could have perhaps prevented this.
Before we had it, down the road a piece was a couple who bought an old farm place, say ten acres all together. About two years after they moved in, some guy bought an acre right next to them and set up a rendering facility. Now they have to put up with the smell of dead livestock all the time. They can't stand to go outside, and the flies are so intense they gather on their screens in the fall so thick that they eclipse the sun. Raising a garden or doing anything outside is now out. They can only mow the lawn on days they're upwind from the gut yard. So, it could be worse!
I think that definitely wins the "worst neighbor" award.

As to the Op's dillemma, in N. Indiana I'd look at spruce trees. Not as fast growing but definitely prettier and filtering of more sound than bamboo .

Get yourself some "bear power" OC spray and use it on the aggressive dog near your mailbox when the wind is in your favor. A sturdy walking stick would be a good idea too should you need to defend yourself. This dog will get no correction from its owners and best you lay out who is "alpha" for the dog's sake. Once the dog knows you are in charge it will likely not challenge you again.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,196 times
Thanks [again] to all that have responded. One thing to always keep in mind of course, and one that am much aware of, is that no matter how bad one's own situation is, there is always something else someone somewhere else that is worse, and some to much worser extents.

Zoning and codes,,, honestly, am torn on those - positives is that they can help prevent some cruddy stuff, but neg is that have 'big brother' types also then controlling your own doings. Guess with all said, would rather have some restrictions, to help protect a person's property value and safety.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:52 AM

7,768 posts, read 13,219,111 times
I have seen a way to take care of that dog acting like he's going to chase you. No, not your 12 gauge. lol Buy a bag of some type of dog treat. When you come out and he moves in your direction, toss one where he can see it. After a few days of treats, he'll settle down, not seeing you as a threat. Then just throw one every now and then as a reminder to the pooch. Friend did that and never heard a sound out of the dog again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or