U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,196 times

Advertisements

For ~4 years that have lived here, have enjoyed the relative peace and quiet, being able to go on the south side of the house, next to my small pond, trace the fish dancing in the water, get some rays, watch the clouds dance above, hear the birds singing in the trees, while over yonder, cows and a hound or two would moo and yip... about a month ago, on the other side of the county road to the west, some land that what we [other neighbors and I] thought was part of a farm instead is turning into a 6-month RV shack filled with hoosiers [and yes, I am using the St Louis, Missouri version of the word, as in slightly above trailer trash folks; not the good folks from Indiana type Hoosiers ]. What was an oasis of relaxing after a busy BS-filled day, now there is ~3-acres of yapping, hollering, dog barking, loud talking, etc... all coming down the hill into "my space". Yea, its their property, can do with it as they please, I know... but still, frustrating to have the one spot where can/could relax, chill, and regroup, but now filled with sounds of these others . lol, yea, I'm one of them persons that loves their privacy, esp. here when at home.

Reason why live in the country, besides the privacy, is cause I crave and love the sounds and sights of nature, the thrashing of farm equipment on occasion gathering and bundling straw, hay, corn, and soybeans, the getting away from the city/town where work is. Now, will need to plant some shrubs/bushes, at least decrease their visibility, maybe dampen some of the sounds, and just learn to deal with this. And pray that their hound stays on their side of the road - my lab and that hound won't be getting along, and didn't appreciate it barking at me, coming across the road when I was taking the trash to the road [my side of the road nonetheless] either.

Sorry, no offense to the new neighbors,,, but just a vent - hate change of this kind, and hate losing the relative solitude, peace, and relaxation that had.

Anyone else have such to adjust to? Suggestions [yea, besides moving and/or getting headphones ]? Good thick "ever-green" bush that grows good in Northern Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,352,111 times
I feel bad for you and know exactly what you are going through....I live out in the sticks and usually have no trouble,but the kind older lady that was our nearest neighbor moved to town last year due to health problems....she came down and offered to sell us her place so we could add onto our property or demolish the place I'm living in and put a lake in it's spot...She was a bit to high priced and so we didn't get back to her right away(maybe a month passed)...next thing you know,two pit bulls are in my yard and some goofy looking sideways hat wearing tattooed moron is there too...I happened to be aiming a 7mm mag. at his dogs when he introduced himself.

THAT was the beginning of the end of my enjoyment here.This idiot breeds and raises pits and although he lives just down the road from me,everytime one of his dogs get loose they head right straight down here...cops are now in and out here a lot too because he has a past as a doper

It's just not the same and we have been looking at different places lately that are even more secluded(and this one is off the beaten path itself).

I feel your pain.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,745,650 times
I feel your pain . I live in a subdivision , but my lot backed up to a large patch of woods . A year ago , a local TV preacher bought the property and cleared EVERY LAST TREE off of the land . Six acres laid bare . Then he built a 4000 sq. ft. home on it . I miss the big oaks and longleaf pine trees .

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM

311 posts, read 837,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Now, will need to plant some shrubs/bushes, at least decrease their visibility, maybe dampen some of the sounds, and just learn to deal with this. And pray that their hound stays on their side of the road - my lab and that hound won't be getting along, and didn't appreciate it barking at me, coming across the road when I was taking the trash to the road [my side of the road nonetheless] either.

Anyone else have such to adjust to? Suggestions [yea, besides moving and/or getting headphones ]? Good thick "ever-green" bush that grows good in Northern Indiana?
Shadow..BUMMER.....be careful of their hound. My neighbors hound in FTW came to my property and proceeded to dang near kill my little 15lb dog...
That aside, I had huge 8 ft tall evergreen shrubs circling my back yard in FTW. I believe they were some form of podocarpus hedge. They were deep dark green all year, the cardinals loved to sit on them waiting their turn at the birdfeeders in winter and the birds used them constantly for cover. I trimmed them occasionally with the electric hedge trimmers. But I would also check with the greenhouses there or the Botanical Garden folks to find some that would work in your spot. I had the typical heavy FTW clay soil there, so yours might be different.

I got lucky here in Elkhart. I moved in and found out the woods behind me had just been purchased by the county for a new park. I still have some noisy neighbors who like music that I dont, but I guess til I sell enough houses to be able to buy 20 acres and put my house in the dead center of it, I will have to put up with it

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM

378 posts, read 1,032,275 times
Maybe a bamboo hedge? Grows like crazy and is as good as a fence. Do some google searching on how to control it... may need some attention like trenches around it to control the spread of the roots.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 AM

15,893 posts, read 15,529,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
Maybe a bamboo hedge? Grows like crazy and is as good as a fence. Do some google searching on how to control it... may need some attention like trenches around it to control the spread of the roots.
I second the suggestion of a bamboo hedge. It is very fast growing and thick. It will keep out people and critters. It will take some of your time to control it but considering your situation I believe it will be worth the time. It grows and spreads quickly and is very resistant to "illness."

Old 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM

lol, every time I walk to get the mail, the new "neighbor's" hound will semi-rush towards me, hair on its back & neck raised, growling and barking... meanwhile owner fool is calling it, telling it that "he's ok, he's fine, he's not going to hurt you, ..." Yea, right I ain't - I love dogs, best pets around... have always had a dog as friend & companion - but if this particular animal comes towards my boys and/or woman with this attitude, there will be a baseball bat with its fur upon it,,, and then the owner's flesh not too far behind.

Thanks on the bamboo [I think! ] - actually, had looked at that before, and from memory seems that there is very severe need to be extremely careful with this, as it will indeed spread quite easily... something about ditches lined with concrete and/or steel plates, down quite a few feet. While I appreciate the quick growing and thickness of this plant, would rather have something that is also more environmentally friendly, in regards to seeds &/or cover for birds, etc. However, will re-investigate this option... thanks.

Thanks to those that have replied with understanding. It is hard not to want to welcome a new neighbor, goes very much against my grain... but to be in that location, but to be so loud & obnoxious, but to be burning trash in barrel and we are downwind, but to not control their dog,,, just frustrating.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM

5,235 posts, read 11,810,516 times
All I can say is that I very very badly for you. I would be devastated if such a thing happened to me as I, as well, enjoy peace, quiet, animals, and the less people the better. If it did, I really believe it would force me into moving, something I'm considering anyway to get out of Texas.

Bamboo would sure be nicer to look at than what is there now. Are you considering moving because of what happened?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
All I can say is that I very very badly for you. I would be devastated if such a thing happened to me as I, as well, enjoy peace, quiet, animals, and the less people the better. If it did, I really believe it would force me into moving, something I'm considering anyway to get out of Texas.

Bamboo would sure be nicer to look at than what is there now. Are you considering moving because of what happened?
lol - I would be dishonest if I wouldn't admit that the thought may have crossed my mind ... however, really like the place [house + pond + outbuilding + yards + area], and coupled w/ the cost [financial + mental] of selling, moving, etc., no, that is not an option - unless got transferred or took another job. Which did happen before: when lived in NE 'bama, had place where if sat on front porch, had view to the westerly direction off of the hill we was situated upon,,, but then shyster greedy neighbor wanted to build another house for her quick "build and sell" 'scheme' [continuation of her & her ex-husband's plans ] - and of course, this new house was smack dab in the middle of my porch and the sunset view over the Tennessee River valley. So, when offer came to move back to IN, that was a significant factor in the decision - leaving AL behind was not easy, esp. for a fool that loves to crawl in holes in the ground [caves]... leaving area that had over 3000 of 'em w/in 1 hour drive + all the gorgeous water falls and warm weather for this relatively flat wind-swept corn & soybean tundra land was not an easy decision. [note: this area of IN is , but in its own special manner ]. BTW, if interested, can check out my album - there are a couple photos there of the pond area.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM

481 posts, read 661,470 times
There are two kinds of bamboo - the kind that runs rampant, and the clumping kind. You want the latter. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or