U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,806,428 times

Advertisements

I was picking Blackberries this morning it took me back to when we had been here a couple years.We didn't have Electric,Phone or Running water,matter a fact we was catching Rain water for our needs.

But we was at the local store,people just set in there and visit,maybe have a Fiddle player come in.But any way we was in there an older couple was in there got us conered.Said you shouldn't be living the way you are back there,you should have a regular house and buy your food at the store.

Then they went on to say how they grew up doing as we were but that was Hard times that we had no right to live the same as they did.

Then the old man brought up that they picked Blackberries every day before school. All I could think Wow! Blackberries in the Winter when you was walking both ways uphill in snow up to your Backside.

Well they did think we was going to freeze to death back here and I will admit it got pretty cold considering we didn't have any insulation in our shelter,shoot all we had between us and the weather was a sheet of Metal.

Finally a woman swaid we was going to get electric if we wanted it or not.After that we have lots more stuff to take up our time.It cost her several Thousand to get it back here but I repaid her.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I was picking Blackberries this morning it took me back to when we had been here a couple years.We didn't have Electric,Phone or Running water,matter a fact we was catching Rain water for our needs.

But we was at the local store,people just set in there and visit,maybe have a Fiddle player come in.But any way we was in there an older couple was in there got us conered.Said you shouldn't be living the way you are back there,you should have a regular house and buy your food at the store.

Then they went on to say how they grew up doing as we were but that was Hard times that we had no right to live the same as they did.

Then the old man brought up that they picked Blackberries every day before school. All I could think Wow! Blackberries in the Winter when you was walking both ways uphill in snow up to your Backside.

Well they did think we was going to freeze to death back here and I will admit it got pretty cold considering we didn't have any insulation in our shelter,shoot all we had between us and the weather was a sheet of Metal.

Finally a woman swaid we was going to get electric if we wanted it or not.After that we have lots more stuff to take up our time.It cost her several Thousand to get it back here but I repaid her.

hillman
We've had a few bad ice storms over the past couple of winters that have taken our electric out for a week at a time...I heat with wood (only) and keep plenty of canned grub stocked up and it was kind of enjoyable to put beans and bacon on the wood stove and fry a deer steak up in a iron skillet and sit back and eat it by candlelight....no noise,no traffic anywhere,no TV,radio,playstation,fans NOTHING but peace and quiet....We sat around in the evenings and listened to our daughter read the Bible to us and then went to bed cozy,warm ,happy and THANKFUL.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times
We use generators.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We use generators.
I had my welding truck sitting here and didn't even fool with plugging in to it...freezer is in an outside room and stayed plenty cold...we used an ice chest for the goodies in the fridge...it was nice and quiet.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We use generators.
Lots of people tried using them,problem is it takes Electric to pump Gas and none of the stations could pump Gas.

When we didn't have Electric we just Canned Meats,kept things cool in the spring and used Colman Lanterns.When we got our Well drilled we used a Well Bucket to draw water.

hillman

Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,957,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Lots of people tried using them,problem is it takes Electric to pump Gas and none of the stations could pump Gas.

When we didn't have Electric we just Canned Meats,kept things cool in the spring and used Colman Lanterns.When we got our Well drilled we used a Well Bucket to draw water.

hillman
Did you use the closest "public(pay) Outhouse"?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Did you use the closest "public(pay) Outhouse"?
We got our own

hillman

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,657,955 times
Come on now Buddy, you know you shouldn't be living like that. Time to upgrade to a two holer.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 AM

4,259 posts, read 9,881,562 times
We've got a two holer that's listing at about the same angle.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Come on now Buddy, you know you shouldn't be living like that. Time to upgrade to a two holer.
Use to have a Two Holer.My Ex thought it was Romantic to set out there with a Full Moon listening to the Coyotes at night

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living