U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times

Advertisements

In Maine its 33 feet from the center of the road (for a 4 rod road...16.5 feet being a rod) and I would bet money that this applies to most towns as surveying is still done with odd measures like rods and chains. But I cannot imagine why anyone would think of "going to the town" to have their mailbox fixed? When are we ever going to take responsibility for ourselves so our darn property taxes aren't so high?

I put my mailbox back so it doesn't get hit...problem solved. Reflectors help too and so does placement...but this is from a guy that has pushed a lot of snow in his day. The view from a snowplow at 2 am with wind blowing, snow flying, looking out at two tiny frost filled mirrors would give you a different perspective on why mailboxes get hit. The mailboxes that routinely get hit, do so because they are in the wrong place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap
In Maine its 33 feet from the center of the road (for a 4 rod road...16.5 feet being a rod) and I would bet money that this applies to most towns as surveying is still done with odd measures like rods and chains. But I cannot imagine why anyone would think of "going to the town" to have their mailbox fixed? When are we ever going to take responsibility for ourselves so our darn property taxes aren't so high?

I put my mailbox back so it doesn't get hit...problem solved. Reflectors help too and so does placement...but this is from a guy that has pushed a lot of snow in his day. The view from a snowplow at 2 am with wind blowing, snow flying, looking out at two tiny frost filled mirrors would give you a different perspective on why mailboxes get hit. The mailboxes that routinely get hit, do so because they are in the wrong place.
I agree.

We need to be taking responsibility for our property taxes. Anyone who demands a municipal service or access to municipal funds should really think long and hard about it.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,675,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The view from a snowplow at 2 am with wind blowing, snow flying, looking out at two tiny frost filled mirrors would give you a different perspective on why mailboxes get hit. The mailboxes that routinely get hit, do so because they are in the wrong place.

Thanks for the good description. You forgot about the frosted up windshield & side windows because of all the snow coming over the top of the plow & getting in the vents and/or because the plowtruck was older than the hills & the heater/defrost didn't work worth crap.

I never did hit a mailbox, but once I did get a big German Shepherd cross that was known for chasing vehicles. He came running down the long driveway when he heard a vehicle coming. When he saw what I was driving he hit the brakes but the end of the drive was all ice, so he just skidded out in front of me. That plow just rolled him up in a ball & sent him flying out into the field. He got up & ran home w/his tail between his legs & never chased any vehicles after that.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 PM

One year I was plowing snow...and as I came up the hill out of town loaded with sand I saw a cop behind me. No big deal I thought, so as I hit the town road, I dropped my plow and started moving snow...immediately the blue lights came on so I stopped.

The cop asked for my license, registration, proof of insurance, etc. I just smiled because that was all I had to give him. I was only 15 and yes this was a wheeler with plow, wing, sand hopper, etc...He just shook his head and "let's go talk to your grandfather," and then started back for his car. But I was in a conundrum so I stopped him...

"Do you want me to plow on the way, or leave the plow up?"

Well you minds well plow me an effing path now," he yelled all mad.

In the end he got my Grandfather for allowing to operate a defective DOT truck, and unregistered, the fact that a 15 year old without any license at all did not seem to phase him.

Another time I was hauling gravel for the state DOT doing a road job. I had been driving all day when the Foreman jumped up on the running board and informed me that if I did not wear my seat belt I was going to be booted from the jobsite. I wore it after that but never told the guy that I did not even have a Class B license and should not have been in the truck in the first place! (LOL)

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree.

We need to be taking responsibility for our property taxes. Anyone who demands a municipal service or access to municipal funds should really think long and hard about it.
Oh I was pretty cranked when I wrote that. I have been building a pretty good sized road on the farm this week and some teenage punk stopped in and said there was a rock on the road from one of the trucks and he hit it and wanted us to buy him a new tire for his car. He kept saying he "was a good guy", and wondered if the town would buy him a tire if we wouldn't.

You don't sponge off the Gov with my Grandfather.

He told the kid to use his steering wheel, but the guy said a car was coming in the other direction. "Then using your brakes. What if that was a kid, would you have hit the kid?"

We aren't bad people, but we can't buy tires for everyone in a crappy car that says they hit one of our rocks. They could have hit a pot hole or anything else you know. Sometimes blowing your horn at an inanimate object does not work and you need to use your steering wheel or brakes. (LOL)

Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,590,520 times
municipalities usually will pay a flat fee for reimbursement..typically around $50. if you have a fancy mail box, you are out of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or