U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, you can do the Russian thing and consider the country house a "summer house" and spend your summer vacations and holidays there, close it up in the fall (know what you are doing here, don't let stuff freeze and burst) and live/work for the most part in the city.

I guess your first question is if it makes any sense to move to your country place full time, giving up or selling your urban abode - offhand your comments make me think that's not going to be your first choice.

You can definitely lease out at least part of the land for pasture, that's what I do with our 13 acre country plot.

Yeah, Mother Earth News is available about anywhere magazines are sold, good info. Backwoods Home is a little more hard-core and harder to find, good info there too.

Think security too. There may be people who would think your country house looks like it would make a decent meth lab...

The guy only owns---6 acres-- yet posters say he can rent part of the land out for pasture .

To who?
An ant farmer who is looking for 100 sq ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
To be honest with you, it sounded like nothing more then a gloat to me??? It's a free country, you got a deed to it, do what you want with it.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,172,291 times
Goodness! Where to start?...

Buy a shovel, turn some soil and plant a garden...flowers, vegetables, pretty weeds, whatever your heart desires.

Put up a fence and get a couple of goats, then sit back and marvel at how MUCH they can eat! For even more amusement get Pygmy Goats and make sure they have a few mounds of dirt to play "King of the Hill".

Get a camera and start walking, I've been here for over 5 years and I STILL take pictures every day!! The weather, the flora and fauna, even the creepy crawly critters look beautiful in the right light!!

Nothing beats a dew covered Garden Spider web at the crack of dawn, with the sunlight glistening through it.

Stock that pond with fish and have fun! Fish if you are so inclined or just feed them and enjoy their company. With fish in the pond, Ducks, Geese and maybe even a Blue Heron or two will show up.

Put out some seed or cracked corn and wait for the wildlife to show up!! When the little guys show up the big ones will too...you might lose one or two but have you ever watched a Mississippi Kite or a Hawk find it's target and go into a graceful dive? I have a Kite making lazy circles in the sky outside my window right now!

With a House on 6 acres that has a pond, the only thing I would be wishing for is more time to do everything I WANT to do!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post

Does anyone have any idea, or suggestions, or maybe just a tiny hint, at what a city boy does with a home in the country?.
Fix it up and sell it. Stay in the city. A long-time city boy is not going to be happy in the country. There's no Starbucks, no mall, no foreign film theater nearby.

You are born to be a slicker. Love it. Embrace it. Sell that place for a big profit, so you can buy a bigger place in the city.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,731,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The guy only owns---6 acres-- yet posters say he can rent part of the land out for pasture .

To who?

You can lease 6 acres for grazing; he said there was a cow there.

I have a country home (didn't know it was the Russian thing to do), it sits on 20 acres and I just keep it because it is Land. You can't build more of that (unless you are in Dubai apparently.) The house requires more upkeep because no one lives there so keep that in mind.

You write well, why don't you use it as a writing retreat - you could even rent it out as such.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM

535 posts, read 1,408,699 times
cattle rustling

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,346,157 times
I'm with LadyRobyn; if you can get a neighbor to look in on it (assuming you're still a city dweller), fence part of it off for your garden/personal space, then put another fence around the whole thing and agist something to help keep the grass down. Doesnt need to be hundreds of wildebeest, just a few cattle/goats....ants...

Whatever you do, dont rush into a decision. Spend a bit more time in the country if you can, so you get to know the realities and can see how it changes through the year. We're doing something very similar to you, but we manage to get there every weekend. Its a real respite from insane Sydney.
You may or may not prefer it to the city, you may change as you get older. So, give it time..the open spaces and nature give you a chance to find your inner resources, which I think often get drowned out in day to day living in cities. You know, that 'still small voice'...listen to it.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM

4,052 posts, read 3,362,684 times
When you move to a more country like setting it's always going to be difficult to adjust to the seemingly slower lifestyle that we have romanticized for so long in America.

Most people love to take a Sunday drive to the small rural towns and farming areas of their locale, folks who live in those towns however, have a far different view in mind than the occasional tourist who sees the obvious advantages of living without all the pressure that really defines living in a large population. The locals are either living a very button down life of farming, logging, construction, or they're busted a$$ broke and drinking heavily.

After living rurally for awhile you can see the small but turbulent life that small towns are known for. Most of our small towns and cities were passed by in the bling years of the last two decades, the night life consists of the high school football games and some bar stooling in town. The glaring poverty is not going to be hidden in some distant ghetto, it's all over town. The people are indifferent to most outsiders so you'll be needing some hobbies, or just the pleasure of relaxing may be enough for you, rural is different, if you can stand the bubba-ness of the country it sure has it's advantages over the city.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,064,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

To who?
Ha! Now that's funny!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 AM

9,967 posts, read 19,299,870 times
What happened to the "build boats"? If you want a boat, perhaps your neighbors do too. Build a boat, list it for sale on Craig's List and see if someone will buy it. If they do, sell the one you made and build another. In the meantime, plant a garden and get a few chickens. Are there fish in that pond? Those are tasty to eat, you know. The less money you spend, the less money you need to make to live on.

Make a list of the necessary things you NEED (not want) and see how much money you need to survive on. Then think about things you like to do. Is there anything you can make and sell doing the things you like to do? If so, make them and sell them. Think about whatever you can to lower your living expenses and then you won't have to make as much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living