U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 19,289,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I have a country home (didn't know it was the Russian thing to do), it sits on 20 acres and I just keep it because it is Land. You can't build more of that (unless you are in Dubai apparently.) The house requires more upkeep because no one lives there so keep that in mind.
I dunno, we just made an offer on an acre with lava running across it. There's more land there every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,162,028 times
My humble apologies for the late replies, been out of town for awhile, but that's another long and most tedious story..

So, moving on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
To be honest with you, it sounded like nothing more then a gloat to me??? ...
My friend, if I was gloating, I'd throw in some astute exaggerations and some whimsical nonsense about how absolutely wonderful the property is.. Still, it's just an average piece of property, and I'm sure that in this particular forum it's probably considered tiny by some of the threads that I've read..

But, the bottom line is this: It's in the country, I've always lived in large cities, so I'm at a loss.. It was something that I couldn't pass up, and now that I have it, I keep asking myself what to do with it.. Now, once I figure that all out, then I'll happily gloat a little bit. Hell, I'm not shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Goodness! Where to start?...

Buy a shovel, turn some soil and plant a garden...flowers, vegetables, pretty weeds, whatever your heart desires.

Put up a fence and get a couple of goats, then sit back and marvel at how MUCH they can eat! For even more amusement get Pygmy Goats and make sure they have a few mounds of dirt to play "King of the Hill".
Some great ideas there.. I've been told numerous times to start a garden, but I think I have what you would call a brown diseased thumb.. I don't know how well I'll be able to pull that off, but I'm going to give it a hell of a try.

Pictures, well, I'm like you with that. Personally, I love to take pics of unusual or interesting architecture.. looks like I'll have some new subject matter.

But, I really like the idea with the goats. I think that would help a lot with making sure that the grass doesn't get too tall. Only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about goats, other than they always end up in petting zoo's.. I'll have to do my research there..

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Fix it up and sell it. Stay in the city. A long-time city boy is not going to be happy in the country. There's no Starbucks....
"A big profit".. I may get a decent amount for it, but nothing that I would call big. Then again, I don't know a thing about all of that..

I thought about staying in the city - a lot.. but I think I'm going to give this a try. Figure that if it's not right for me in a year then I can always pack up and move back to the bright lights.

And.. well, yeah.. I admit it, I'll miss the Starbucks, but I'll give (almost) anything a try once..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
When you move to a more country like setting it's always going to be difficult to adjust to the seemingly slower lifestyle that we have romanticized for so long in America. ..... rural is different, if you can stand the bubba-ness of the country it sure has it's advantages over the city.
"The bubba-ness"... I laughed my <censored> off at that! That's just beautiful right there, I don't care what anyone says..

Seriously, I'm a little trepadatious about moving, but at the same time a little excited. The closest I've ever been to the country was a few miles outside of Tampa, so it will be a new experience for me. Thing is, I've worked hard for a very long time and I think that this might be a chance to relax a little bit. I've been looking into a few business ideas, along with quite a few suggestions from on here, and I think I have a good idea of what to do with the land now. I think I'll be fine with the "bubba-ness", I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What happened to the "build boats"? If you want a boat, perhaps your neighbors do too. Build a boat, list it for sale on Craig's List and see if someone will buy it. If they do, sell the one you made and build another. In the meantime, plant a garden and get a few chickens. Are there fish in that pond? Those are tasty to eat, you know. The less money you spend, the less money you need to make to live on.

Make a list of the necessary things you NEED (not want) and see how much money you need to survive on. Then think about things you like to do. Is there anything you can make and sell doing the things you like to do? If so, make them and sell them. Think about whatever you can to lower your living expenses and then you won't have to make as much money.
Building boats, I hate to say, is just an expression.. I tend to get that a lot on here, but I can't throw in a disclaimer every time I type that. Although, I once built a pontoon boat that turned out pretty nice - if one squinted slightly with the left eye and held a hand up in front of the right.

Anyway, that's great advice right there though. I have a budget, but there's a lot of things that I'm learning about the country that differs quite a bit from the city - things like propane and trash disposal to name a couple. I'm still trying to figure that out, but I don't think I'll get it all accurate until I actually get to move there and spend a few months getting an average.

So, with all that said, here's my thoughts..

With the land:

Section of an area to live in, and let the rest grow. I was told that there's a guy that comes around and cuts all that for hay. Don't know how exactly that works, but the guy across the street said he does that and makes a little extra money from that.

Plant a garden and hope my watermelons don't turn into waterdont's..

Long term, build a second house to rent out. There's a manufacturing town close by (15 or so mins away) and apparently there are a lot of people looking for cheaper housing. It may end up being a headache, but if I get the right people I think it would be alright.

With work: I do small business consulting as it is, so I'm thinking about taking that business online completly. I have an occasional job online every now and then anyway, so I don't think it would be that hard to move it all online.. seems that's the way things are going anyway. Beyond that, hell, I don't know.. It's one of those wait and see kinda things I think.

Bottom line, I really appreciate everyone's input on this.. With your suggestions here and from other people I've talked to, well, at least now my compass is pointed true north.. I think I'll be able to keep it between the bouys..

Thanks again!!!!! You guys (and girls) rock!

Gotta run, boats to build and all that jazz..

Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,445,738 times
UrbanBlasphemy, if you don't mind a few more helpful hints, if you're thinking about moving your consulting business to online completely, make sure you have Internet capabilities out there in the country, sometimes the only thing you can get is through satellite, so you may want to check up on that ahead of time, another suggestion, spend a week out there and visit the local watering hole, so to speak, place where all the locals have their breakfast and coffee in the morning, there's a wealth of local knowledge in a place like that and don't be afraid to talk to any of the waitresses because they could be a wealth of knowledge also, they know just about everybody around the area and who does what.
You seem to have a certain flair with the written word, might be interesting to write about some of your experiences while you're living there, I imagine it would make for some interesting reading, sounds like you've done some writing before in the past and if that's the case, it wouldn't hurt to take it up again.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,162,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
UrbanBlasphemy, if you don't mind a few more helpful hints, if you're thinking about moving your consulting business to online completely, make sure you have Internet capabilities out there in the country, sometimes the only thing you can get is through satellite, so you may want to check up on that ahead of time, another suggestion, spend a week out there and visit the local watering hole, so to speak, place where all the locals have their breakfast and coffee in the morning, there's a wealth of local knowledge in a place like that and don't be afraid to talk to any of the waitresses because they could be a wealth of knowledge also, they know just about everybody around the area and who does what.
You seem to have a certain flair with the written word, might be interesting to write about some of your experiences while you're living there, I imagine it would make for some interesting reading, sounds like you've done some writing before in the past and if that's the case, it wouldn't hurt to take it up again.

Right here, this is what makes these forums great.. People that take the time to really help out a blabbering fool like myself. There's been so many great suggestions here that I know I would have never thought of.. ever.

So I checked on the internet thing.. Luckily, there are a couple companies that extend out that far, so I shouldn't have any problem with internet.

As far as braving the local mob.. I may have to buy a country-slang dictionary before doing that, but that's an excellent idea. Maybe see what others are doing in the area and that would give me some good ideas as well. Kudos's for that suggestion! I'm heading down there this weekend so Saturday morning I think I'll do just that.

As far as writing.. well.. that kinda dissipated with the economy. I used to write part time for the historical society and a couple other places like that for awhile, but they don't have the funds to pay for a lot of that anymore.. I had ambitions of writing full time, but that'll have to wait until the economy straightness up a bit. Hopefully that'll happen soon... then again, I could just write about the economy, but it'd only be a couple sentences - nothing I could repeat on here though, I don't think the mods would like that very much.

Anyway, thanks for the great advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living