Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,295,190 times

Advertisements

I grew up on a gravel road in a township in northern Illinois where the sole two towns were villages of 350 and 250 people. The only sound in the night is crickets. The only sound during the day is farm machinery and crop dusters. Occasional distant train whistle if the wind is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,151,049 times
Where I have my property in North Dakota, I'm on a gravel road a couple of miles from the main road. It's wonderful to hear no man made sounds. You only hear the sound of the wind and birds chirping. Just can't wait to leave this big city environment and move there.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM

137 posts, read 613,120 times
It's what you get used to I think to a degree. Someone mentioned small towns, but whenever we go into town, it seems loud with kids, cars, mowers... you name it, it just seems like any other city neighborhood in that respect. Maybe at night it's quieter, but daytime I don't notice the difference.

Our place in the country is quiet to our visitors from the city point of view. They can't believe they can't hear traffic and such, but to me, it can get pretty loud out here. We live on a gravel road, but it the school bus route and is on a mail route. We probably get 30 cars a day down our road, though most of the traffic is early morning and late afternoon before and after school, and a lot of country folks work in town. BTW - The town is about 1,000 population.

We're 4 miles from town, but if the wind is right, we can hear the highway and often hear the noon whistle in town. We hear train whistles now and then too... but the wind has to be just right. We live in farm country, so we often hear diesel powered irrigators during summer at night, and farmers gotta move that equipment now and then too, so we've got some farm impliment traffic too.

As mentioned, the birds can make more noise than you think, and the doggone Cicadas can get so loud now and then you want to put in ear plugs.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,721,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binallover View Post
Howdy, new here, just wondering if there are ANY places in the USA that are quiet. I have lived all over the USA and every where there are those inconsiderate morons that drive by "pumping their bass" all hours of the day and night. Well, have a good day, all.
After 9:00 p.m. in my neighborhood in Saint Paul, MN (the capital) the only sound I hear is an occasional car going down the street - but they are few and far between. There are many quiet streets in Saint Paul that are removed from noisy intersections.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM

602 posts, read 2,026,590 times
Where I was this weekend, the only thing I heard was Elk bugling.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,368,437 times
Boy, what I wouldn't give for a little peace and quiet. I live in Los Angeles County California. Right now, as I write this, (from far to near) I can hear the turbines of a jet plane at a distance; the revving of car engines; someone playing their flute (which wouldn't be bad if it didn't stir up the neighborhood dogs); and of course, about four dogs barking at the sound of that beautiful flute playing. Welcome to L.A.!

I've given myself the luxury of staying in Death Valley twice within the past year. The silence is deafening, especially at night. But it's a beautiful thing.

For those of you who get to enjoy such luxury, I envy you. All the best.

PS
Oh, as I'm about to finish...I can hear the Santa Fe Railroad train blowing it's horn at a distance.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,721,939 times
I make exception for the lovely sound of a train whistle.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,363,462 times
I'm in a town of less than 200. Very quiet. Mostly cows out here, so I do hear a lot of mooing. After being here a few years, you can tell the difference between the 'I want to breed' moo and the 'I'm giving birth' moo, etc. I love it.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM

830 posts, read 2,703,942 times
(Pop. 2000)

Depending on the season, I hear a lot of birds, a lot of cows, the high school football games down the street, dogs barking, a rooster, occasionally the next door neighbor's teenage kids' music. Lots of airplanes from the military base 75 miles away. The town fire siren every day at noon and then whenever there is a fire (somewhat frequently during the summer).

It's fine to me though, especially the birds and cows.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM

63 posts, read 187,225 times
Default quiet towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by binallover View Post
Howdy, new here, just wondering if there are ANY places in the USA that are quiet. I have lived all over the USA and every where there are those inconsiderate morons that drive by "pumping their bass" all hours of the day and night. Well, have a good day, all.
I live in a small 'quiet' town in rural Missouri. We have a city ordinance against any noise maker, such as loud vehicles, loud radios, etc. But we actually don't have many rowdies that do that kind of thing. After ten o'clock the whole town is quiet. We also have a strict law against skate boarding. Our profile is 98% white, which probably helps.
When I go to bed all I hear is the tick of my clock, and lately I have been hearing an owl, which I enjoy.
Arundel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living