U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM

2,814 posts, read 3,339,002 times

Advertisements

It's exactly 9:26pm as I write this. There goes that train again.

It's "relatively" quiet right now, in the outskirts of Los Angeles county. The Santa Ana winds have buffeted us all day long at the tune of 97 to 100+ degree temperatures throughout the San Gabriel Valley. It's no fun. Yet most of us accept this as a "given" as we near the end of summer.

Funny, in the background, I just heard the loud sneeze of our Chinese neighbor. It seems to be a cultural thing for them to sneeze loud or burp really loud when dinner is good.

I can also hear the "whoosh-whoosh" of cars passing thru our street. Dogs still bark in the background. A child just let out a loud laugh.

And now there's a pause. A long pause at that. Where'd everyone go???

I knew I would not be let down. It's 9:35pm. The nightly neighborhood helicopter just made it's round down by the "ghetto-barrio" not too far from here. It's merely a precautionary flyby. Gives the gang-bangers reason to think twice before committing yet another senseless act of violence. It's a love-hate thing with the helicopters out here.

So...what are you hearing right now in your neck of the woods? Please share. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM

14,269 posts, read 16,176,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binallover View Post
Howdy, new here, just wondering if there are ANY places in the USA that are quiet. I have lived all over the USA and every where there are those inconsiderate morons that drive by "pumping their bass" all hours of the day and night. Well, have a good day, all.
I came across this thread and started to laugh, because if I wrote a book about my life it might be titled "Stop The Noise!"

I was forced to move from my last home of 13 years because of noisy neighbors and barking dogs. I simply gave up.

Right now I am in the process of buying a home and it's not exactly my dream house, so I don't know if I should make an offer. It's in an over 55 gated/guarded community overlooking a nature preserve. You know - one of those cookie-cutter communities. I'm a log cabin in the woods type person, but I don't know if I can handle moving next door to any more crazy neighbors and the HOA in this place is very strict. I'm temporarily in a condo now and my neighbors are in their 80s and 90s. The trouble is they're all hard of hearing! Fortunately, they only watch TV for a few hours and go to bed early. I'm on a first floor, however. The toilet flushing just isn't the same as listening to undulating waves at the beach or fish jumping in a pond.

I hate the idea of moving into a community with lots of rules, no kids and mostly retirees, but that seems to be the only safe haven for me after the hell I've been through in the past. Gosh, what if I start playing Bingo at the clubhouse on Saturday night?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM

5,433 posts, read 10,043,490 times
I experienced pure quiet only once, in a canyon in Death Valley. So quiet was it that I could hear my heart beating like a kettle drum. Now that's quiet! Too quiet.

Me, I like a little noise--if it's natural. I like to hear the crickets and cicadas chirping, the birds at dusk and dawn, the little green frogs after a rain, and the cooing of the mourning doves.

What I most used to hate, when I lived in the city, was the ultra bass from cars that would shake my car and my sanity, and the helicopters overhead, tracking some criminal. Felt like living in a war zone. Which, come to think of it, I was. Give me the quiet rural life...

Absolute quiet is just a little lonely for me. I like to know that I exist along side other creatures...quiet humans and natural critters doing their thing...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM

14,269 posts, read 16,176,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I experienced pure quiet only once, in a canyon in Death Valley. So quiet was it that I could hear my heart beating like a kettle drum. Now that's quiet! Too quiet.
Is there such a thing? The quietest place I've ever been was at the top of a mountain early in the morning when I used to ski. I know the chair lifts make noise, but I had skiied down a bit and found a trail that was covered by a fresh blanket of snow. I took off my skis and just sat there for a while to listen. I could hear the icicles melting.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 65,282 times
I am currently living in North Las Vegas As far north in the valley as you can get. sry one neighborhood just north of me but off to the side.
Population 1mil maybe less since the housing bust...
BUT...
It is quiet, I have my sirius radio on volume 1 I JUST heard a dog bark, and occasionally when Nellis is doing Night Flights I can hear the Jets.
other than that at night it's fairly quiet. last year we did have the pet wars going on between two neighbors. That only lasted about a week. then they kissed and made up I guess.

Anyway, there are places to live where you out of the way of the noise in ANY city. Ya just have to find the spot.

I can't WAIT till next may when we move to WY. i am looking everyday at WY on the net, maps, neighborhoods, farm property, ranches, RURAL areas mostly, Whatever newspapers I can find in the small towns etc...
A couple of the papers I read online talked about the local Daycare having an event. THAT WAS THE FRONT PAGE STORY!!! how refreshing is THAT???
Nothing about theft, rape murders, Police shooting an innocent etc...
GOD I can't wait. It certainly can't come fast enough.

Sorry i got off topic there.
Thanks for letting me ramble.

John

Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
We have a few city people who moved to our rural area and comment on how much they enjoy the quitness and the sounds of nature.

Kinda hypocritical when I see them going for their morning/evening walk down the rural road wearing head phones.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,173,065 times
I grew up on a dairy farm right on a highway in Central California. The only sounds we really had to contend with were the sounds of traffic driving by, and roosters. I always found the sounds of the traffic very soothing and still do, whenever I visit.

I live in the burbs now and a neighbor just got a rooster. I'm probably the only person in the neighborhood that enjoys hearing it crow.

I also live a mile from the local airport. It's busy, and people complain about the noise. But I guess I'm good at tuning sounds out.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM

263 posts, read 670,100 times
my middle-of-nowhere peace and quiet is violently shattered when the warthogs fly over my house. (the local air force base flies over on training missions regularly.) it's not nearly so bad now that we are used to it. standard response is "i hope those are ours!"

Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,345,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
We have a few city people who moved to our rural area and comment on how much they enjoy the quitness and the sounds of nature.

Kinda hypocritical when I see them going for their morning/evening walk down the rural road wearing head phones.
You. are. joking. Hooo boy. Hate those things anyway, but that's pretty odd.

We live in inner-city Sydney, and get to our 90acres about 350 miles away each weekend. We rent a place in the small town nearby, as the cabin on the property isn't yet finished. You wake in the night there (i town), and if a car goes by, that is a real talking point. The silence is absolute, not even crickets. Mind you, the roosters start 'work' at about 3am.
One night, the miscreants down the road had some visitors who insisted on yelling 'yeeeeha!' as soon as they got out of their cars. City folk.

We used to camp on the property and funnily enough, in contrast to the village, it was never completely quiet at night. Lots of small noises and croaks, including lots of shuffling up against the tent. Long as it wasn't human, we weren't fussed about it, just kinda curious. But during the day, you hear any approaching cars a loooong time before they arrive. Enough time to make me wanna scamper up the hill so I can see who the heck is invading our privacy this time. Unfortunately, we are also on a flight path, so cannot be totally devoid of human 'contributions' to our rural lifestyle. Australia has a reputation for 'wide open spaces', personally, I don't think they're wide enough.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,794,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binallover View Post
Howdy, new here, just wondering if there are ANY places in the USA that are quiet. I have lived all over the USA and every where there are those inconsiderate morons that drive by "pumping their bass" all hours of the day and night. Well, have a good day, all.
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Even here on 26 acres in the middle of nowhere I still get to listen to the chainsaws, and backhoes on my neighbor's property! I don't mind themdo so much. Once in a while the guy across the street does some target practice with a howitzer (not literally - but it is a BIG gun). The dogs are barking at the chickens and the rooster is going nuts.

Still, it's better than the city. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living