U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times

Advertisements

no place is devoid of noise.

Different places have different sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 PM

66 posts, read 179,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm in a town of less than 200. Very quiet. Mostly cows out here, so I do hear a lot of mooing. After being here a few years, you can tell the difference between the 'I want to breed' moo and the 'I'm giving birth' moo, etc. I love it.
LOL I just love that description but it is so true!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Recently I was in the "big town" twenty miles up the road stopped at one of the four traffic lights. A young man beeped at the lady in the left turn lane when she didn't jump through the light as it turned green. She stopped and put her head out her window. She called out "Young man, when we beep around here we mean to say hello. So "hello!" and mind your manners."
His reply "Yes, ma'am!" LOL

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,961,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binallover View Post
Howdy, new here, just wondering if there are ANY places in the USA that are quiet. I have lived all over the USA and every where there are those inconsiderate morons that drive by "pumping their bass" all hours of the day and night. Well, have a good day, all.
Try Alcatraz,

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-11-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,961,289 times
Here in OK, all I hear at night is a hoot owl outside my window and the occasional train
(175ft away)

Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM

357 posts, read 890,715 times
here in the deep wood of VA mountain, the house is build airtight i can hear my heart beat echo at night so scary have to leave the tv on all night.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM

17,941 posts, read 21,813,673 times
I did the country gig, weekends, for 10 years on 15 acres. Just about every one of my rural neigbors were practice shooting for the deer season, kids with dirtbikes and rec vehicles trespassing on my property, noisey snowmobiles in the winter, chain saws, nature noise, loud stereo's from canoers camping out on an island in the river nearby. And here I was escaping from my ultra-quiet 38th floor apartment in the big city, where I could barely hear a siren with the windows open. Go figure!

I detest noise and loud, thumping boom cars drive me bananas!

You may move to your quiet little town, and all it will take is one boom car to destroy the whole town's peace and quiet.

HOA communities, with very strict rules and enforcement, would be my ultimate choice for peace and quiet, and you can find those in big cities. I currently live in one, a townhouse complex, with our $100 fines for noise violations.

A high rise condo unit will do the same. No need to go to a rural community.

And then there's, ironically, New York City/Manhattan, where car alarms are illegal, $350 fine for honking your horn in a residential area, police sirens silenced, and in my last two recent trips to Manhattan, I never once heard a loud, thumping boom car, thank-you Mayor Bloomberg!

We all need to take back our cities and neighborhoods, and it can be done, and save yourself a lot of moving costs.

According to NoisefreeAmerica.org, noise is the Number One reason for people moving/relocations.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 34,740 times
Default Oh how i wish!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
How about living on a dead end dirt road? Gotta have a long driveway to cut down on the dust. Then again you don't want to live on the end of the road since the confused or miscreants naturally wind up there. So try just partway down the dead end dirt road, there you will find peace.
I wish this were true here. The land I live on has been in my fam for 60 yrs. I have lived on part of it for the past 18 yrs.
My mom sold 5 acres several yrs ago. It has changed hands 3 tImes since.
3 & 1/2 yrs ago some EXTREMELY loud, meth head, loud blasting music, roaring, racing the engines constantly, every day, starting sometimes at 7am. And the trash is everywhere. And now they burned the house down my grandpa built in '52.
You might think good now they will leave???? Not a chance. The whole town felt sorry for them and give them money and the county came and fixed their road, (which ain't a county road, its who you are and who you know in this small OKLA town). Oh did I mention that the meth head wife there turned the improperly installed wood stove up way too high and then left? And did I mention we seen them taking out most of the belongings 2 weeks before it burned??
And the noise has actually gotten WORSE!!!!
Anyway, I have 18 years of blood sweat and lots of tears in this place. Many flower beds, trees, garden, animals etc. And in April I am packing and leaving this state. I might as well be living in an apartment.
But I live 5 miles from town on a dead end road, second house from the end. But no one here will ever buy this place of mine because of the bull**** next door.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM

32,531 posts, read 31,238,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Boy, what I wouldn't give for a little peace and quiet. I live in Los Angeles County California. Right now, as I write this, (from far to near) I can hear the turbines of a jet plane at a distance; the revving of car engines; someone playing their flute (which wouldn't be bad if it didn't stir up the neighborhood dogs); and of course, about four dogs barking at the sound of that beautiful flute playing. Welcome to L.A.!

I've given myself the luxury of staying in Death Valley twice within the past year. The silence is deafening, especially at night. But it's a beautiful thing.

For those of you who get to enjoy such luxury, I envy you. All the best.

PS
Oh, as I'm about to finish...I can hear the Santa Fe Railroad train blowing it's horn at a distance.
After 50 plus years of So Cal living I moved to a small town in Arizona. Dead quiet at night except for the owls and coyotes. I can actually hear my heart beat when I'm in bed at night.

Until I realised what it was it scared the crap out of me.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaB1too View Post
I wish this were true here. The land I live on has been in my fam for 60 yrs. I have lived on part of it for the past 18 yrs.
My mom sold 5 acres several yrs ago. It has changed hands 3 tImes since.
3 & 1/2 yrs ago some EXTREMELY loud, meth head, loud blasting music, roaring, racing the engines constantly, every day, starting sometimes at 7am. And the trash is everywhere. And now they burned the house down my grandpa built in '52.
You might think good now they will leave???? Not a chance. The whole town felt sorry for them and give them money and the county came and fixed their road, (which ain't a county road, its who you are and who you know in this small OKLA town). Oh did I mention that the meth head wife there turned the improperly installed wood stove up way too high and then left? And did I mention we seen them taking out most of the belongings 2 weeks before it burned??
And the noise has actually gotten WORSE!!!!
Anyway, I have 18 years of blood sweat and lots of tears in this place. Many flower beds, trees, garden, animals etc. And in April I am packing and leaving this state. I might as well be living in an apartment.
But I live 5 miles from town on a dead end road, second house from the end. But no one here will ever buy this place of mine because of the bull**** next door.
I am so sorry! That is just a crying shame. I have dealt with belligerent neighbors myself. Had a neighbor in Miami chase me with a chainsaw years ago...because I objected when she wanted to cut down the black olive tree in MY front yard. LOL That story made AOL's number one neighbor from he77 last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living