Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,497,525 times

Advertisements

For about the past 2-3 weeks, when I first turn on the tap of the bathroom sink, there is an odor of sewage. This only occurs in the sink of the master bath, not in the other bathroom sink, the 2 bathtubs, or the kitchen sink. This particular sink is closest to the leach field (I think that is the correct expression).

We bought the house 4 years ago, it was built in the early 90's. At the time of our purchase, the septic system was inspected. It wasn't pumped because the inspector said it didn't need to be, and it's not required by law here.

Only 2 adults live here, we only used septic-approved toilet paper, and don't put anything down the garbage disposer. I drop a septic treatment packet in the toilet once a month, per package recommendation.

Spouse says this is nothing to worry about but...? I was going to take a septic system class but kept putting it off, now the local government discontinued it due to lack of funds.

Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 AM

445 posts, read 1,980,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
For about the past 2-3 weeks, when I first turn on the tap of the bathroom sink, there is an odor of sewage. This only occurs in the sink of the master bath, not in the other bathroom sink, the 2 bathtubs, or the kitchen sink. This particular sink is closest to the leach field (I think that is the correct expression).

We bought the house 4 years ago, it was built in the early 90's. At the time of our purchase, the septic system was inspected. It wasn't pumped because the inspector said it didn't need to be, and it's not required by law here.

Only 2 adults live here, we only used septic-approved toilet paper, and don't put anything down the garbage disposer. I drop a septic treatment packet in the toilet once a month, per package recommendation.

Spouse says this is nothing to worry about but...? I was going to take a septic system class but kept putting it off, now the local government discontinued it due to lack of funds.

When i was in the process of purchasing my house, the home inspector stated that our bathroom sink had an "S-trap" and that a P-trap was recommended . He said S- trap sinks are more likely to have sewer gases come up. See what you have under there. That could be the issue. I still have the S- trap for my sink . I haven't had any issues though.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,245,208 times
Quote:

It is just the hot water???

Check and see.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
When i was in the process of purchasing my house, the home inspector stated that our bathroom sink had an "S-trap" and that a P-trap was recommended . He said S- trap sinks are more likely to have sewer gases come up. See what you have under there. That could be the issue. I still have the S- trap for my sink . I haven't had any issues though.
I agree, and S trap can siphon and prevent the water from remaining to stop gasses from coming through. Also make sure you have that drain vented, it needs air to flow properly. You can tell by filling the sink, and letting it drain. If you see a swirling vortex and hear gurgling, it's not vented or the vent pipe is clogged.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM

23,557 posts, read 70,067,529 times
It isn't a septic problem. It could be a clogged vent stack, bad air valve (look under the sink and on the piping for a black vertical extension to the sewage pipe that goes nowhere), or plain ol' gunk in the trap. Put a cup of vinegar down the trap overnight and leave it. The next night flush it and put a cup of hydrogen peroxide down the trap and leave it. See if that resolves the issue.

As driller was alluding to, the sacrificial anode in a hot water tank can create an off smell, or bacteria in the water supply or tank can create sulfurous odors.

You don't need to "drop a septic treatment packet in the toilet once a month, per package recommendation." Every time you poo, you are putting the equivalent of a BOX of the stuff in your septic tank.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It isn't a septic problem. It could be a clogged vent stack, bad air valve (look under the sink and on the piping for a black vertical extension to the sewage pipe that goes nowhere), or plain ol' gunk in the trap. Put a cup of vinegar down the trap overnight and leave it. The next night flush it and put a cup of hydrogen peroxide down the trap and leave it. See if that resolves the issue.

As driller was alluding to, the sacrificial anode in a hot water tank can create an off smell, or bacteria in the water supply or tank can create sulfurous odors.

You don't need to "drop a septic treatment packet in the toilet once a month, per package recommendation." Every time you poo, you are putting the equivalent of a BOX of the stuff in your septic tank.
Yep......that is what I was wondering.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,474,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is just the hot water???

Check and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Quote:

I don't have a suggestion that relates to a septic system, as we have not lived where there was private septic for about 37 years now.

I do believe the problem would occur in all the sinks and bathtubs if it were a water heater issue.

We had a similar situation where there was the odor coming from one drain. It turned out that there was bacteria build up in the tube for the drain overflow. Every time water went down the drain, the movement forced the odor out the overflow. Disinfecting that tube and killing the bacteria resolved the problem.

I recently retired from my position at a Kitchen and Bath design center. A number of the sink manufacturers stopped putting overflows in the bathroom vanities because of bacteria buildup issues.

Many hotels use rubbing alcohol down the overflows to help avoid that problem.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,497,525 times
We changed out both of the bathroom sinks about 18 mos. ago, I completely forgot about that...the original sinks were still in the house. My husband had to alter the plumbing on the sink in question to make it fit. There is now an angle, original sink did not have that. It is not an s-trap, it's a p-trap. I tried filling the sink & it drains fine. I am going to try the vinegar, hydrogen peroxide & rubbing alcohol suggestions, & we are going up on the roof to check the trap...have to wait till the weekend for that. Both the hot & cold water smell when they first come out of the faucet, then the smell stops when the water flows for a minute. The smell gags me, I brush my teeth at that sink! If bacteria is building in the sink pipes, could it cause illness?

I have never lived with a septic system or a well before, & TBH, the whole septic thing is new to me. I thought the purpose of the septic treatment was to help dissolve the toilet paper & neutralize smells, at least that is what the package says it does. How does "poo" do that, as harry chickpea stated?

I'm relieved that the consensus is that the septic system is not the problem, and I'll report back when we have solved this, or need more help.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate the help!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,474,970 times
It is bacteria that causes the decomposition of the solids in the septic system. In a properly designed and maintained system, it is not necessary to add anything to the system. The "natural" bacteria that goes in every time you use and flush the toilet takes care of things.

My parents put in their septic system in 1959 and my Mom sold the house in 1991. During that time, they raised 6 kids, never had to have the system pumped, and NEVER added any kind of "Packaged" additive to the system. And we never had any smell backing up through the system into the house.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
We changed out both of the bathroom sinks about 18 mos. ago, I completely forgot about that...the original sinks were still in the house. My husband had to alter the plumbing on the sink in question to make it fit. There is now an angle, original sink did not have that. It is not an s-trap, it's a p-trap. I tried filling the sink & it drains fine. I am going to try the vinegar, hydrogen peroxide & rubbing alcohol suggestions, & we are going up on the roof to check the trap...have to wait till the weekend for that. Both the hot & cold water smell when they first come out of the faucet, then the smell stops when the water flows for a minute. The smell gags me, I brush my teeth at that sink! If bacteria is building in the sink pipes, could it cause illness?

I have never lived with a septic system or a well before, & TBH, the whole septic thing is new to me. I thought the purpose of the septic treatment was to help dissolve the toilet paper & neutralize smells, at least that is what the package says it does. How does "poo" do that, as harry chickpea stated?

I'm relieved that the consensus is that the septic system is not the problem, and I'll report back when we have solved this, or need more help.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate the help!
Sometimes well water will react to something in the new pluming.......I do not know why. (I will ask our supplier when I talk to him)

My kitchen sink does from time to time.........then it will be fine.

I just turn it on and let it run........then come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living