Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,774 times

Advertisements

Another simple question...anyone on here ever had issues or horror stories with ATV's? We use ours all the time but, in the wrong hands they can be a real pain to deal with.

My biggest complaint was with my neighbors last year. They are not so smart to say the least, like to party and own a ½ acre of land surrounded on all four sides by me. When they asked if they could ride ATV's on me I was fine with it (one has to share you know), but I told them, farming comes first.

3 days before we were going to chop 2nd crop, I hear the sound of ATV's and lights on top of the hill, and one of my finest fields. In the end they had crushed 28 acres of prime high protein alfalfa and timothy grass down. It was not right but I just lost it and told them using way too many swear words what I thought of their actions. Now I could understand a 10 year old not knowing any better, but his parents sat on the porch drinking beer and smoking cigarettes as they boys did it...and he drives grain truck so he is around agriculture and knows better.

The other day I told them they could park his grain truck on me as they live on a dangerous curve and I really would hate to see someone get hurt as he is backing into his dangerous driveway. Their reply was typical I guess...

"I would never even think of parking on you...."

That is fine with me...you can only hand out the olive branch it is yet another to grasp it. Have fun enjoying your ½ acre. I will say next time I will just call the attorneys and let them pay for the prime feed they destroyed. One thing is for sure, they won't hate me any worse then they do now.

4 tons to the acre at 30 per ton for 28 acres=$3300

So anyone else have ATV Trespassing issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Not trespassing, per se, but this year we (the 8 houses off the one gravel road in) spent about $35,000 to have the 4 miles of twisty roadbed repaired, the culverts reset and the road re-graveled. Then the kids down the hill decided it was a great ATV playground and tore the heck out of the road, especially at the edges (doing burnouts and spin outs, driving on and off the road).

We eventually got together, took photos of the damage and went to talk to the parents (that wasn't pleasant, but our main line was "if this keeps up, we're going to have to ask for you to contribute to fix the damage"). The kids haven't been back, but one of the neighbors had "someone" throw rocks at his car as he got to the bottom of the hill, where the kids live.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
It would only be right if one had to demonstrate that one owns a legl place to ride befor buying an ATV. But as in many other things, trying to legislate common sense won't work out too well.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
I don't think I would mind if the ATVs were used in a respectful manner, meaning no destroyed land, crops, etc. If you want to ride a trail, that's cool. The first time something gets messed up, no more.

Of course, I don't own any land like that, but I would imagine I would have that stance.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
It would only be right if one had to demonstrate that one owns a legl place to ride befor buying an ATV. But as in many other things, trying to legislate common sense won't work out too well.
I agree.

Why buy a boat,ATV, or snowmobile if you have no place to operate it ?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,774 times
Maine has a powerful law that states that ATV's must have WRITTEN Permission from a land owner to ride on their property. Okay fine, I don't give written permission to anyone. It's kind of low but if they don't walk the line, they could legally be held responsible if they do something stupid.

Two years ago a ATV spun a rock from a trail out into the field and the chopper picked it up. 40 thousand dollars worth of damage to the knives for that 1½ inch rock.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree.

Why buy a boat,ATV, or snowmobile if you have no place to operate it ?

I live in small town in rural MD, yet people buy these things, mostly for their kids, and then get upset when the Sheriff Deputies stop them riding on the streets. Most of the farmers here won't allow them because of the liability issues.

I remember when I lived in PA and snowmobiles had the same issues.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times
Haul some logs across the trails or dig a tank trap? Piano wire stretched across the trail at neck height (just kidding)?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I remember when I lived in PA and snowmobiles had the same issues.
Global warming has turned snowmobiles into ATV's .

Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
We have had quite a few city dicks cause problems with their ATV's and such. Some of these clowns think it's great fun to chase cattle and horses.Some of them like to tear up and trash the BLM land as well. On the ranches it's not so much of an issue but the public graze they seem to think is fair game. This has caused a lot of good fishing and hunting land on the big speads to be closed off forever. I can't blame the owners, but it's a sad thing. The places I used to go as a youngster are closed off now because of people like this. The old 'one bad apple' thing ya know. More and more fences are going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living