U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,786 times

Advertisements

I want to correct my comment on J Deere mowers above. I should have said - when the belt becomes loose, the blades collide with each other, causing them to drop off. This happens often and is expensive to repair. The supplier always tries to make out it is the customers fault.
We have now bought a 12 yr old Murray mower. It is going strong and will be easy for us to repair when it goes wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,157 times
Default L-111 lawn tractor transmission toast

I bought a jd l-111 lawn tractor in 2005, used it very gently for five seasons, had it serviced every year by the same dealer. I could not use it last year due to back surgery and when I tried using it this year it was running very slow and would not go in reverse. I had the same jd dealer check it out and they said it needed a new transmission for one thousand eighty dollars plus tax. I opt'd not to spend that much to repair the tractor but wanted to see what jd corporate had to say about their so called quality product failing after such a short period of time. They were quite less than concerned and would only say that the warranty was expired and that I was basically out of luck. No concern that I was an unhappy customer, offered no assistance (I asked about a possible trade in) and said they do not get between their dealers and customers (??) and left me with a rather large green and yellow boat anchor. This not what I expected from a US maker of so called quality products. BEWARE if you are thinking of buying one of their expensive products expecting quality and after the sale support. If you don't want to continue giving them money they have no interest in you or your concerns.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,622,034 times
I've only had JD for the past 15 years, tractor, gater, riding lawn mower. Bought them all from the JD dealer directly in town. I get them serviced every winter and never had any problems.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,478 posts, read 41,064,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That is the point I was trying to make in a round about way. I still would chose the X300 on up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've only had JD for the past 15 years, tractor, gater, riding lawn mower. Bought them all from the JD dealer directly in town. I get them serviced every winter and never had any problems.
I ONLY buy older "non-L&G" JD versions WITH a REAL FRAME. My 1985 model 185 is pretty robust, (cost me $500 - 7 yrs ago, & is even hydrostatic) and frequently mows a few acres of 8-10" HEAVY grass (since I get 120" rain / yr). It also mows 3 rural rentals, and a couple commercial lots + I do my neighbor's 1 acre.

My heavy service outdoor equip gets fresh Synthetic Oil annually (in Fall), I has vastly improved performance and durability (High heat application).

Since the Recession started you can get GREAT deals on L&G stuff (used). Buy now, use it till death... I expect mine to make it for at least 20 more yrs. Hopefully the whole 50 yrs that I will be a retiree.

If I have to buy another mower, It will be a diesel Kubota. that way I can burn free used french fry oil. I'm not keen on GAS.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,430,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I ONLY buy older "non-L&G" JD versions WITH a REAL FRAME. My 1985 model 185 is pretty robust, (cost me $500 - 7 yrs ago, & is even hydrostatic) and frequently mows a few acres of 8-10" HEAVY grass (since I get 120" rain / yr). It also mows 3 rural rentals, and a couple commercial lots + I do my neighbor's 1 acre.

My heavy service outdoor equip gets fresh Synthetic Oil annually (in Fall), I has vastly improved performance and durability (High heat application).

Since the Recession started you can get GREAT deals on L&G stuff (used). Buy now, use it till death... I expect mine to make it for at least 20 more yrs. Hopefully the whole 50 yrs that I will be a retiree.

If I have to buy another mower, It will be a diesel Kubota. that way I can burn free used french fry oil. I'm not keen on GAS.
I'd love to find a 420 or 425 to use in my landscaping business. Snow in the winter. Working finish grade of dirt, seeding etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,020 times
John Deere D140 burned to the ground in warranty, John Deere will not cover it said it was probably dirty.Appears to be a fire that started around the coil.

$2000 for this thing and it has 18.2hrs on it. Deere Rep said its my responsibility to prove the fire was their fault and I should not look to them but instead call my home owners insurance and put a claim in.

I've had a few lawn tractors over the years and never had one burn down, ever!Please do not buy these tractors and park them in your garage it just may kill your whole family!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Has anybody had any problems with John Deere Riding mowers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about buying a John Deere model LA115 or LA125 riding mower. Has anyone had any problems with John Deere products?

Thanks, John

Here is some consumer complaints I have found on net so far.

Consumer complaints about John Deere
The LA & LT Deere mowers are made under contract for Deere by Murray who make all the cheaper mowers sold by the big box stores. They have to meet Deere's quality but they are cheaper made to make them more affordable.

For a real deal made by Deere tough as nails mower the "X" series Deere mowers are a great investment since they are more expensive but worth the extra money.

Either way you get a good mower if it says Deere on the side.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,139,931 times
As they say,

Nothing runs like a Deere
Or smells like a John

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM

3,565 posts, read 3,311,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The LA & LT Deere mowers are made under contract for Deere by Murray who make all the cheaper mowers sold by the big box stores. They have to meet Deere's quality but they are cheaper made to make them more affordable.

For a real deal made by Deere tough as nails mower the "X" series Deere mowers are a great investment since they are more expensive but worth the extra money.

Either way you get a good mower if it says Deere on the side.
Agreed. Mine is 14 years old and other than annual maintenance, never had a repair and still runs like new. Best tractor I've ever owned but, it wasn't cheap.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:57 PM

2,150 posts, read 3,654,506 times
The company that I worked for a few years ago had me mow the back yard with my great grand pa's John Deere 210 rider that he bought in the 70's. My Grand Pa, for the 30 years that I've been alive, has had two. He had his last one for about twenty some years. My dad also had a 210 in the 80's, and he still has the 240 that he bought 20 some odd years ago. The one thing that I hated about, my Grand Pa's, rider was that he always bought the tractors with the hydro-static transmission, so instead of hitting the break pedal and stopping you kind of coasted to a stop. I liked my dad's 240 better the controls felt more like a cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living