U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 AM

28,393 posts, read 48,151,201 times

Advertisements

Has anybody had any problems with John Deere Riding mowers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about buying a John Deere model LA115 or LA125 riding mower. Has anyone had any problems with John Deere products?

Thanks, John

Here is some consumer complaints I have found on net so far.

Consumer complaints about John Deere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
We bought a new John Deere LT160 about 8 years ago and have had no problems.

It does a good job and is very easy on fuel.

Every farm neighbor around me has a JD riding mower and that wasn't the case 10 years ago ( all different brands were used by them back then)

I have a non-farming neighbor who has a house and 5 acres and it is all lawn. He had 2 different brands before, but bought a John Deere 4 years ago.

He keeps the lawn mowed short, so his mower really gets used.
He, also, is pleased with the John Deere .

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,040,129 times
I purchases a JD LA130 about 3 years ago at Lowe's, and thus far have been extremely pleased with it. We have about a half acre lot, but it is funny shaped and there is a lot of stopping, turning, and backing involved in mowing here. Two of our neighbors also have JD lawn tractors and are very pleased with them.

Here is another site with customer reviews. John Deere Lawn Mower Reviews

If you look at the site header you posted, it is obvious why there is nothing but complaints on it. It has links to Complaints, Scam Alerts, Recalls, and even a big red button to click on to post your own complaint.

Last edited by rrtechno; 09-11-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Added last item

Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
San

54 posts, read 393,879 times
I used a big 445 JD for years, however that was when they were still made by the Deere company. Now they are outsourced. My brother in law has a JD and isn't the happiest with it. We mow about 5 acres and just purchased a new mower. After having done a LOT of research and looking at all the JD models we went with Huskevarna. It's a great tractor and we just love it. Seems to be good on fuel also. It has a number of features on it that we prefer over what was offered on the JD model of a similar size.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 11 days ago)

21,722 posts, read 22,528,536 times
I bought a 2-year old LX-188 15 years ago and used it on a large lawn as well as snow-throwing for the next 13 years. Tranny got a lttle worn out and it had trouble mowing on steep slopes so year before last I retired it and bought an X320 for mowing. Gotta have that hydrostatic-drive. I still use the LX-188 for snow-throwing and it starts and runs like a champ even on the coldest days after it's been sitting for a week or two. I still use it in the summer with a dump cart for hauling trash and tree limbs around too. I would recommend JD. I have a Husqvarna tiller that is also still going strong after 15 years.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,900,792 times
FYI--the JDs sold in the big box stores are much, much cheaper than the usual mower people think when they think JD.

Do some good, long research on the ones you can get at the big box stores...I wish I had...

...they are cheaper and more affordable for a reason.

Unfortunately, I'm speaking from experience. You know the saying you get what you pay for...I didn't even get that.

With the exception of the one mower recommended by rrtechno, the mowers people are recommending above aren't ones available at HD or Lowes...they are heavier duty and better built.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 PM

28,393 posts, read 48,151,201 times
Here is some links to information sites.

MyTractorForum.com - Tractor Forum & information, Discussion Board and Heavy Equipment Information

John Deere LA115 Review

- Index

Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,900,792 times
Thanks, John1960, that first one is the one I had in mind when I said to research...couldn't remember the name of it.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM

18,531 posts, read 55,444,914 times
"I used a big 445 JD for years, however that was when they were still made by the Deere company. Now they are outsourced."

Hmmm, I just literally finished watching a show segment filmed at the factory where the lawnmowers are made. Smart carts, double checking on a lot of the assembly, clean and state-of-the art manufacturing. Other than the steel coil possibly being thinner than the metal used in the past, I didn't notice any red flags.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 PM

8,082 posts, read 11,890,220 times
I think that the new 100 type models sold at big box stores tend to have a lot more trouble - in some ways they arent as John Deere as John Deere if that makes any sense.
they are mass produced to lesser standards for mass consumption.
Go to an actual JD dealer and chat them up and see what they recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living