Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Brand of a Riding Lawn Mower would you buy?
Sears Craftsman 11 11.22%
Cub Cadet 11 11.22%
Huskee 1 1.02%
Husqvarna 10 10.20%
John Deere Co 41 41.84%
Kubota 10 10.20%
Lawn-Boy 0 0%
Poulan 0 0%
Snapper 4 4.08%
Troy-Bilt 4 4.08%
White 0 0%
Yard-Man 0 0%
Dixon 2 2.04%
Toro 4 4.08%
Simplicity 5 5.10%
EXMARK 3 3.06%
Gravely 6 6.12%
Honda 3 3.06%
Allis Chalmers 3 3.06%
Jacobsen Riding Mower 0 0%
Yazoo Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Bad Boy Riding Mower 2 2.04%
Bolens 1 1.02%
Bob-Cat Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Another brand. 8 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Dixon'dfixie choper and X-pert all al good riding mowers ';of sourse they are also zero turn. X-pert is probaly the best for the money.Everyhting Honda makes is good but expensive but they last a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Kohler motors are great! Definitely would point you in direction of Zero turning radius. Would also show a great preferance to a joystick control way over two arm controls! That said in an area of the midwest I would recommend Swiess~ but parts are a little hard to get except through factory~ next model I'd recommend is Snapper~ widely available! Had mine that I bought secondhand for six years~ with only grease, oil changes and new blades!
When I moved into a house with NO lawn I gave it to my son who expects to use it for years

PS~ this type of mower is made for large lawns and commercial use~ new they are in about the $8-10,000. range~ for a five or six foot cut.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
[quote=deckdoc;10773360]Kohler motors are great! QUOTE]

We have had a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kohler engine for three years. I always really liked the way it ran, until recently. I was mowing the lawn when it started smoking like crazy. I immediately stopped mowing, and it looked like all the oil was running out underneath. We had a mower repair person come and pick it up. We got a call today that there is a hairline crack in the engine block case, just off from the bolt hole below the fly wheel. This mower cost us $2,000 and only has 76 hours on it. Maybe this was a fluke, as the repair person said he thinks it's a casting defect. When I find out if Kohler will stand behind their engines with a problem like this, when it's not under warrantee anymore, I'll let you know what I think of them, lol.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
We have had a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kohler engine for three years. I always really liked the way it ran, until recently. I was mowing the lawn when it started smoking like crazy. I immediately stopped mowing, and it looked like all the oil was running out underneath. We had a mower repair person come and pick it up. We got a call today that there is a hairline crack in the engine block case, just off from the bolt hole below the fly wheel. This mower cost us $2,000 and only has 76 hours on it. Maybe this was a fluke, as the repair person said he thinks it's a casting defect. When I find out if Kohler will stand behind their engines with a problem like this, when it's not under warrantee anymore, I'll let you know what I think of them, lol.
Wow. I hope that is a fluke. And it only has 76 hours on it. That's just poo poo.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Yeah, the Kohler in my JD lasted about 2 1/2 years with about 160 hours before it threw a rod. (Yes, it was maintained as according to maintenance schedule...and then some.)

Wasn't thrilled with that--hated it too--it was because of Kohler's reputation I bought that mower over a similar model with a different brand engine...

Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Well, I called Kohler corporate today about my situation. They offered to supply a new replacement engine and pay for 2 hours of labor. Anything over the 2 hours of labor, we have to pay for. We also have to pay for transportation to an authorized Kohler repair shop. So, I think that they are stepping up to the plate, and I am pretty impressed that they are offering to make things right! I'll let everyone know how this all works out after all is said and done. So far, they are being amazing.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times
This one

Yee-haw!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Honda has always made a good riding mower, they ain't cheap, but the good stuff never is.

Troy-Bilt changed from an independent manufacturer of excellent but expensive lawn and garden stuff to a brand of MTD back around 2000. The old Troy-Bilt/Bolens mowers are excellent if you can find one used, but the new stuff is apparently junk.

I know the older Gravely lawn tractors are good, but maybe the same thing has happened?

Don't know what kind of area you want to mow, and how smooth a mow you want, but if you are looking at a bigger area and can live with a job that wouldn't be accepted at Pebble Beach, consider getting an old antique IH Cub tractor and a belly mower. Such a beast will never wear out and will always be worth what you paid for it or more, if you buy a good one "right". I have an old IH Super C tractor, just love it, keep a Battery Tender on it and change the oil once a year - that's it for maintenance. I just prefer to listen to that old 123 engine purr along rather than a 1 or 2 cylinder "Briggs and Scrapiron" putt.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 AM

63 posts, read 313,529 times
Default Walker is the best

Of the brands you have posted I would go with John Deere, but the best mower I have ever used or owned is the "Walker" brand. Commercial grade quality that does a fabulous job of mowing. Highly recommended,

Walker Mowers - The Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mower from Walker Manufacturing Company

Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM

66 posts, read 197,208 times
great dane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living