U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Brand of a Riding Lawn Mower would you buy?
Sears Craftsman 11 11.22%
Cub Cadet 11 11.22%
Huskee 1 1.02%
Husqvarna 10 10.20%
John Deere Co 41 41.84%
Kubota 10 10.20%
Lawn-Boy 0 0%
Poulan 0 0%
Snapper 4 4.08%
Troy-Bilt 4 4.08%
White 0 0%
Yard-Man 0 0%
Dixon 2 2.04%
Toro 4 4.08%
Simplicity 5 5.10%
EXMARK 3 3.06%
Gravely 6 6.12%
Honda 3 3.06%
Allis Chalmers 3 3.06%
Jacobsen Riding Mower 0 0%
Yazoo Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Bad Boy Riding Mower 2 2.04%
Bolens 1 1.02%
Bob-Cat Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Another brand. 8 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm still looking for a riding mower. I'm now looking at John Deere's and Sear's Craftman and Husqvarna. What would you pick for a riding mower?

John
I'm a "small engine Repair mechanic". I 've repaired lawn trctors for 19years.
Craftsman/Poulan is junk, you'll spend more on parts( spindles, blades and belts) than the tractor itself.

John Deere is good, but they're not built like the John Deere Farm/construction equipment. They tend to have more then they're share of down time. 1 JohnDeere blade belt costs upward of $60.00. Drive belts are higher. This summer, John Deere has been know to have problems with the electric PTO's.

Husqvarna is the least to have been in the shop this year and those came in for repair had minor to normal wear problems.
ZTR's a little more but that was most likely because of excessive use.

I'd suggest Husqvarna with a Kohler command engine. They seem to be fairly reliable lately.

NOTE:
Do not confuse "HUSKEE" with "HUSKY"
HUSKY is Husqvarna and HUSKEEis MTD brand........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 AM

28,400 posts, read 48,166,922 times
Hi, I just bought a Husqvarna with a Kohler command engine riding mower from Lowes. I paid 1599.00 for a 20 HP Kohler engine.

Thanks, John

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 AM

Sears Craftsman ===more down time than any brand listed.
Cub Cadet===MTD
Huskee=====MTD
Husqvarna ===very reliable for big jobs
John Deere Co==require extra care, but can be depenable
Kubota =====mostly commercial grade
Lawn-Boy
Poulan======Craftsman
Snapper =====Durable
Troy-Bilt=====MTD
White======MTD
Yard-Man====MTD
Yard Machine==MTD
Dixon ======ZTR only
Toro ======= Very reliable but more popular out west
Simplicity==== Great when they were around
EXMARK =====mostly commercial grade ZTR's
Gravely =====Built for high end use, but fading out of the picture
Honda =====built to last
Allis Chalmers===.no longer on the market
Jacobsen Riding Mower
Yazoo Riding Mower ===mostly ZTR's
Bad Boy Riding Mower===mostly ZTR's
Bolens=============MTD, ---at one time affiliated with Gravley, White and Troybuilt(all were mtg by "GardenWay")
Bob-Cat Riding Mower
Murray===========long gone out of business

75% of the repairs that come in are caused by neglect, misuse or lack of maintenance.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-11-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
---75% of the repairs that come in are caused by neglect,misuse, or lack of maintenance--

So true,it deserved to be repeated.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---75% of the repairs that come in are caused by neglect,misuse, or lack of maintenance--

So true,it deserved to be repeated.

I say this to show that all problems should not be blamed on the equipment.

When picking out tractors, you should ask the sellers for the "durability rating"
on the tractor in question. Or if your looking for something for tough jobs and longer lasting, ask to see those models with the highest durability rating.

Some retailers will have no idea what your talking about.(Walmart, Sears, ect) Those are the one you should avoid unless low cost is the main issue.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 AM

55 posts, read 204,381 times
Hands down the Simplicity brand (American made) is one of the best mowers made. I've had mine for 7 years and it still runs like new. The cut is beautiful (free floating deck with rollers), the machine is a pleasure to drive and operate, and I have never had any issues at all. Once you look at the quality of the machine next to Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, etc, you won't buy anything else. And the price is great too!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 AM

28,400 posts, read 48,166,922 times
I like the brand Kubota over any other riding mower. Built to last.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,168,308 times
Prob John Deere. I love mine. The best part is that when I bought it, the guy came out and gave me a tour of how to use the mower and got it tuned up. The extra service was nice.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 AM

9,691 posts, read 8,146,379 times
Keep in mind that there are about three engine manufacturers, and two or three transaxle manufacturers.
So, no matter what riding mower you buy, you WILL get an engine and transaxle (or drive system) from one of those manufacturers. No matter what it says on the engine, the mower builder did not build it!
The same applies to the PTO clutch; it is an off-the-shelf part.
Yes, you want a cast iron front axle, not a stamped/welded steel one.
Yes, you want the thickest mower blades you can find.
Yes, you want the strongest frame and mower deck you can find.
Yes, you want mower mandrels that can be rebuilt, not "throw it away and buy a new one".

About 10 years ago, I bought a Craftsman tractor. Craftsman at the time had three levels of tractor, the LT (lawn tractor), The FT (Fairway tractor), and the GT (Garden Tractor).
I got the mid-level Fairway, with a 54 inch three blade mower deck. I have had no trouble with it at all.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM

1,153 posts, read 891,629 times
We have an 11 yr old Husqvarna that we bought new. It has been worked to death with not much more than normal maintenance on it.

It has a 50" mower deck, as long as the deck holds up, we will keep the mower running; 50" decks aren't easy to find on the little lawn tractors these days.

My sub compact is a John Deere 4110 and that isn't going anywhere, either. It has done a lot of work that is bigger than it is.

The 1969 Ford 3000 does all the bush hogging and still runs like new.

That said, Mister Norma is anal about keeping everything well maintenanced. He listens when I say there's a noise that shouldn't be there in one of the tractors. He builds his own race cars so, I shiver if he says "this is beyond me", where the tractors are involved

Nothing will last long if the owner thinks they can get away with driving it, until it dies, as that doesn't take long without normal maintenance. Diligent maintenance goes a long way in not having to replace something as expensive as a tractor of any size, too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living