U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Brand of a Riding Lawn Mower would you buy?
Sears Craftsman 11 11.22%
Cub Cadet 11 11.22%
Huskee 1 1.02%
Husqvarna 10 10.20%
John Deere Co 41 41.84%
Kubota 10 10.20%
Lawn-Boy 0 0%
Poulan 0 0%
Snapper 4 4.08%
Troy-Bilt 4 4.08%
White 0 0%
Yard-Man 0 0%
Dixon 2 2.04%
Toro 4 4.08%
Simplicity 5 5.10%
EXMARK 3 3.06%
Gravely 6 6.12%
Honda 3 3.06%
Allis Chalmers 3 3.06%
Jacobsen Riding Mower 0 0%
Yazoo Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Bad Boy Riding Mower 2 2.04%
Bolens 1 1.02%
Bob-Cat Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Another brand. 8 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times

Advertisements

personally after having several I would go a Zero turn for lawn cutting. So much more easy and time saving. Several brands there that will do but model really depends on yard size and terrain. We have a Toro time saver zero turn 52' we used for 0ne acres that really saves time over a tractor type. I'd go larger for two acres and a welded deck for rough terrain. Its also important to get a good engine brand with enough HP. Kohler or Kawasaki are good brands and very reliable. I also buy from a full service dealer of the brand if your not a mechanic.Also be aware of difference in many name brands sold at big box store over those at full service dealers.

Last edited by texdav; 06-25-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,456 posts, read 41,057,521 times
diesel kubota

or a Walker Mower (Ft Collins, CO)
Walker Manufacturing

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM

1,146 posts, read 887,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
personally after having several I would go a Zero turn for lawn cutting. So much more easy and time saving. Several brands there that will do but model really depends on yard size and terrain. We have a Toro time saver zero turn 52' we used for 0ne acres that really saves time over a tractor type. I'd go larger for two acres and a welded deck for rough terrain. Its also important to get a good engine brand with enough HP. Kohler or Kawasaki are good brands and very reliable. I also buy from a full service dealer of the brand if your not a mechanic.Also be aware of difference in many name brands sold at big box store over those at full service dealers.
Zero turns are ok, if all one has is a flat yard and no other work for it to do.

Usually when lawn mower accidents hit the news, it was a Zero turn that flipped because it was on too steep of a hill. The hill in front of our garage is way more than the 15 degrees that's on the warning sticker. If I don't get a good hold on the fender of the top side, I'm sliding onto the fender on the down side, and when that happens the shut off sensor under the seat starts to shut the tractor off. No Zero Turns for that hill

Plus a Zero turn can't mult-task. Where we live, every piece of equipment needs to do more than one thing, or it doesn't come home with us.

Ditto a reputable full service dealer, even if one is a good mechanic, as there can be things that are just clear out of ones expertise, like the hydraulic system on the two bigger tractors

Old 06-25-2015, 02:32 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,574,215 times
I have a commercial zero turn and it works fine on hills. I know from experience that many can't handle hills but there are some that will climb like a goat. The easiest trick for mowing steep hills is the mowing angle.
Don't go straight up. You can tip backwards.
Don't go straight across. Your mower will slide sideways down the hill.
Approach the hill at a 45° angle or so. A good mower won't tip or slide at that angle.

Mowing my lawn with a decent garden tractor takes 2.5 hours. The ZTR does it in 45 minutes.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,008,121 times
I have had a Craftsman GT3000 with a 23hp Kohler engine, 6-speed transmission and a 48" mowing deck since 2001. It has been used in some really tough west Texas environments and I have had very few problems with the tractor.

For our short grassland pastures I use a Ford 8n tractor (sometimes called a red-belly) with a PTO-driven 5' shredder (rotary mower). I prefer the late 1950 to 1952 versions of this tractor due to certain advancements.

Had Webster placed pictures in his dictionary beside each word, he would have placed a picture of a Ford 8n tractor beside the word "machine." The 8n was built between the years 1947 to 1952.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:49 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,508,689 times

Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,772,813 times
Have a Ranch King rider from 1992 that has a Briggs and Stratten engine. Not sure, it may be by MTD. It still runs great and cuts very even. In about 2002, we got a Sears Craftsman as a second riding mower to help get it mowed faster. The gearbox in the Craftsman tanked 3 years ago, but the engine still runs good. Runs good, but doesn't move. Bought a Cub Cadet last year and it does fine, but it cuts uneven.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Zero turns are ok, if all one has is a flat yard and no other work for it to do.

Usually when lawn mower accidents hit the news, it was a Zero turn that flipped because it was on too steep of a hill. The hill in front of our garage is way more than the 15 degrees that's on the warning sticker. If I don't get a good hold on the fender of the top side, I'm sliding onto the fender on the down side, and when that happens the shut off sensor under the seat starts to shut the tractor off. No Zero Turns for that hill

Plus a Zero turn can't mult-task. Where we live, every piece of equipment needs to do more than one thing, or it doesn't come home with us.

Ditto a reputable full service dealer, even if one is a good mechanic, as there can be things that are just clear out of ones expertise, like the hydraulic system on the two bigger tractors
Most small lawn tractors have the basic same drive as Zero turn which what is what we are comparing. But even larger tractors are limited as to steep hill which is why so many are over turned in commercial use. In small riding mowers the advantage is lower CG and the ability to turn without large turns thus less trimming with zero turn.I have used both and larger tractors so I know the capablities of both. Even medium tractors are over kill and not cost effective for normal lawns and better for large tracts like ten acres behind my own house relative cuts. But on his lawn itself with house next to it he uses a zero turn, As he said without the need for power takeoff and just cutting he would use a large zero turn to cut it.; just as commercial lawn services now do here for grass cutting. We are talking lawns not over grown fields remember. Right tool for the job as always is always best and too heavy is just more a pain to use. and often not cost effective.I'd say more tractor accidents are from trying to cut to much on side slope rather than proper weights to front going more uphill and those larger wheels with aggressive treads and higher Cg mean trouble quickly.For anything much of a slope you want a side cutting deck power take off anyway; but that is not what we are talking about.

Last edited by texdav; 07-03-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 08:39 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,907,536 times
Last year I bought an '07 Husquvarna with 750hr on it for $500. This year after spending another $500. for service and repair

work,

I have a decent lawn tractor. Before the repairs, after a dozen or so days in Florida, I decided to mow the 3 acres I

maintain

on my property, to my surprise the unit would not go forward or reverse, to the shop it went, six days later I got it back

from

the shop. While the Husky was in the shop I did some research on the John Deere S240, new in '15 it had great reviews,

same frame as the 100 series, and the same drive as the 300 series. I bought this unit as my primary mower and use

the Husky for backup, and mow a small area to keep the wheels turning. Some areas are slopped and on the JD

one rides 3" higher than the Husky; the Husky is a better mower for this chore. The JD is a work horse; but I like

the lower ride.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM

28,395 posts, read 48,151,201 times
Been looking at B class of Kubota tractor with front end loader and three point hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living