U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Brand of a Riding Lawn Mower would you buy?
Sears Craftsman 11 11.22%
Cub Cadet 11 11.22%
Huskee 1 1.02%
Husqvarna 10 10.20%
John Deere Co 41 41.84%
Kubota 10 10.20%
Lawn-Boy 0 0%
Poulan 0 0%
Snapper 4 4.08%
Troy-Bilt 4 4.08%
White 0 0%
Yard-Man 0 0%
Dixon 2 2.04%
Toro 4 4.08%
Simplicity 5 5.10%
EXMARK 3 3.06%
Gravely 6 6.12%
Honda 3 3.06%
Allis Chalmers 3 3.06%
Jacobsen Riding Mower 0 0%
Yazoo Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Bad Boy Riding Mower 2 2.04%
Bolens 1 1.02%
Bob-Cat Riding Mower 1 1.02%
Another brand. 8 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM

5,653 posts, read 13,532,634 times

Advertisements

John, I owned a Kubota B2650 which is probably what you're looking at. It had the 3 cylinder diesel. I pretty much bought all of the goodies with it, millboard plow, rough shredder, finish shredder, post hole digger, etc. It did a fair amount of work considering the small size. The finish shredder was a disappointment and if you're expecting golf course type cut, you'll be disappointed too. It leaves lots of scalped areas. I assume that's why the golf courses use the roller blade units to avoid the situation. I got rid of it as it was just too small for what I needed. My son in law is a dealer for Kubota and sells a ton of these things but he'll tell you there is a major downside to buying one. Parts. Common parts are no problem. Specialized parts come from Japan and it might take months for it to get to you, and you'll be paying freight from Japan as well. Another issue with anything Kubota, cost of parts. They're not cheap to buy and even more expensive to own if you intend to keep it long. His best selling tractor that he has virtually zero issues with is a Zetor. If you have a dealer in your area, might take a look. Around here we don't have a Zetor dealer but the best selling tractor around here is the Mahindra. I know several folks that have bought them and so far nobody has had any issues with one. More than likely you can buy a lot more Zetor or Mahindra tractor for the same money as you'll spend on a mini-Kubota. FWIW, the bucket on the Kubota beats a shovel, but not by much. The tractor lacks the heft to make it really work. In my opinion, it was a waste of money.
FWIW, the current tractor is an old International 404 that I bought at auction. I also bought a shredder and a universal bucket for it. It works far better than the Kubota any day and I don't have 5 grand in it. It is a 4 cylinder diesel with a 5 speed manual and 2 speed locking axle. It has great rubber on it and yes, I did have to replace some of the hoses on it but that was less than $200. and I swapped them myself. Otherwise, it starts first time every time and does far more work than a Kubota ever thought about.
If all you are doing is cutting grass, the Gravely will more than likely last longer than you. They are a professional grade unit and they will cut grass faster than anything I've ever seen. One of the cousins has one with a 27HP Kawasaki engine. He can cut an acre in about 20 minutes. I can't run as fast as he can cut 1 foot tall grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 PM

475 posts, read 859,478 times
My neighbor has a Kubota and he loves it. Check out the Mahindras. I have two and they are a good solid tractor and cost a lot less than the JD. I also have a 35 hp Ford and it is a tough little tractor. Stay away from Cub Cadet. My neighbor bought one the same time I did and we both have a lot of problems with them. Never again.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,559,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Been looking at B class of Kubota tractor with front end loader and three point hitch.
It's been a bit over 7 yrs. since you started this thread. That deserves some sort of C-D award.

My bro-in-law bought a rider mower for his 1/4 acre lot (minus space taken by house), lol. He bought a $2,000 10x20 shed to store it in (which further reduced what grass remains).

I've yet to come across a manufacturer (of anything) that has the best model in all categories, features, etc. But some mfgr's do tend to have more "winners" than others (and some mfgr's have few, if any, "winners").

I tend to look at what Consumer Reports has to say. Pick the Best Lawn Tractor for Your Property - Consumer Reports

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

3,286 posts, read 3,373,133 times
Has the OP ever said what he bought? or is he still looking?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 PM

789 posts, read 429,350 times
I have a wright "stander". It's a commercial mower. It's a 2000 year model and still going strong! I also have an exmark lazer "z" commercial sit down zero turn. Both have welded decks with Kawasaki motors and Parker hydraulic drive mowers. I like the stander better, but the exmark is also quality built.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM

789 posts, read 429,350 times
If your looking for a compact tractor, the kioti dk40 is an absolute beast, no kubota, Deere, can match it for loader strength (over 2700 lbs) weight, hydraulic pump flow,standard options like telescoping rear 3pt links, skid steer quick scratch bucket, standard rear hydraulic remote (I have 2), rear 3pt lift lever (very nice thing to have). I've abused the crap out of mine and it just keeps on going. I traded my old B series kubota in on it and have NEVER regretted doing it, wish I would've done it years earlier.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 AM

27,160 posts, read 64,382,725 times
The brand is not important. The model is important. All the lower end ones are junky. Even John Deere lower end ones are made in a factory with other cheapo models. To get quality build, you need to get the better ones, but they start around $4000.

We have a sears with double knuckled front wheels so it has an 8" turning radius which is neat. It is a cheapo about $2300 in 2010 give or take a year or two. The tractor has been fine and has survived a lot of abuse. However the deck and drive system for the deck is a constant repair source. It is not that old, but it has broken the shaft towers that hold the blades in place five times (they are aluminium). I have had to weld parts of the system that holds the deck up a few times. Replace the belt, pulleys, bearings, belt again, control cable, more welding, mulching cover. . . .

The tractor itself has needed nothing except a new battery nearly every year. Even though I put a float charger on it for winter, the battery ends up dead in the first month or two of the season.

I sometimes wish I had spring for one of the quality ones, but then I would still be paying for it probably. BTW at 22 HP it is overpowered, but at least it never stalls, not even in tall dense wet grass while going up a hill.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 PM

485 posts, read 275,050 times
Massey all the way with interchangeable tools.
Massey Ferguson | Tractors and Farm Equipment

We have the mower deck, the tiller, the loader and a 50gal spray water barrel set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Brand of a Riding Lawn Mower would you buy?-599_1484676555845.jpeg  

Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM

959 posts, read 532,522 times
Whatever brand you go with, make sure the mowing blades are three blades, not two. Two leave uncut swaths that three don't.

Even though we love our Deere for comfort and power, we don't love having only two mowing blades and having to go back over a mowed area.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM

573 posts, read 284,955 times
Troy-Bilt, Toro, Cub Cadet, Snapper, or Craftsman.

Wow, its been a long time. I even forget the one we had.

It was likely one of the above 5. Ours cost less than $1000, and was a mulching ride-on with a nice low deck.

Our chainsaws were Stihl (Big,) Husqvarna (Medium, my fav) and Craftsman (electric, small.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living