U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,627,673 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link to the website. Are you in a tornado or hurricane prone area? Have you ever had to use one of these shelters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
How many shelters have you bought?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:15 PM

Wonder if a tonado is similar to a tornado

Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 PM

141 posts, read 292,029 times
Yes I have been in mine more than ten times but I myself have not ridden one out. This is my in-laws company and has a great reputation. And yes I've had a few put in at different homes.

Sorry Tambre. That's funny I don't care who you are. Again it's my In-Laws, Not mine. LOL

Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
Yes I have been in mine more than ten times but I myself have not ridden one out. This is my in-laws company and has a great reputation. And yes I've had a few put in at different homes.

Sorry Tambre. That's funny I don't care who you are. Again it's my In-Laws, Not mine. LOL
Thanks Riverbottomkidok. They look very strong and the site presents a good selection of types and sizes. After reading everyones posts so far, I'm thinking along the lines of something built under a breezeway or porch. This way, you've covered from the rain/hail/wind, but it's not under the house. Just not sure how to put the door into it. Maybe it could be a little room off of the basement, leading to one of these areas.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

141 posts, read 292,029 times
Tambre, If it can be done they can do it. Custom made is their specialty. Give Nic a call and get all the info you need.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM

12,239 posts, read 1,719,988 times
Hi tambre: I lived in north Texas for awhile and we were one of a few who had a storm shelter. It was close to the house and was the cleanest and dryest shelter I have seen. It had a small window in it too. I now live in Missouri (in a mobile home, no less!) and would love to have it now!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Hi tambre: I lived in north Texas for awhile and we were one of a few who had a storm shelter. It was close to the house and was the cleanest and dryest shelter I have seen. It had a small window in it too. I now live in Missouri (in a mobile home, no less!) and would love to have it now!
Hi,

Well, I see your east of Springfield...that's the same general area we are moving to. We had a close call with a tornado, which the weather forecasters reported was on the ground, and headed in our direction. Our place is on a slab. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. It was really frightening, and made us take the weather threat much more seriously. I wouldn't want to be in a mobile home in a bad storm. I hope you have some nearby neighbors who would give you shelter.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
Tambre, If it can be done they can do it. Custom made is their specialty. Give Nic a call and get all the info you need.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
I know a freind that just moved back homje after eyar to a area nothwest of Dallas. When he was a kid he had neighbors illed in a tornado. The first thing he did after buyig was have a shelter put in. He desctribed it to me and it pretty large . It has abttery power auto maticallt charge and even a pumpo because he know of flooding problems . of course it has a cemant floor too. He siad that with teh new warnings its much easier than when he was a kid to seek shelter in time.I know when I was sationed in oklahoma I saw the result of sevral torandoes one year and basically the whole house was levels many times. We had to clear lookign for survivors. That was becaue the sheriif needed the help because he was super busy afterwards.We actually found people two days later from one storm;dead of course. i have always had a respect for torandoes afterthat and have gone thru sevral hurricanes too.Its the suddeness that is scary with tornadoes.I'd definite have a shelter the same as people living in hurreicane areas have seen maybe one relly dangerous storm in their life time but that is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or