U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM

7,773 posts, read 13,225,135 times

Advertisements

Good grief! Don't you know it's down there on the right just past Jimmy's mama's place? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 AM

5,434 posts, read 10,045,820 times
This topic made me smile.

Being from the city we were used to referencing cross streets or saying 'Grand Ave. between 20th & 21st." Not so in the small town we moved to.

In asking for directions, we got answers like "across from where the old Belks used to be." That was fine if you were local, but as newbies, those directions left us kind of clueless. Now we're doing it ourselves. No one uses cross streets, but landmarks instead..."turn left at Piggly Wiggly..."

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,314,533 times
Nope. We don't have any cross streets. In the event that a delivery service needs one to enter into their computer, I give them the name of the closest one, though... too bad it's about 5 miles away from my house.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
The 911 standardization doesn't matter much within this context. We've had 911 for ages, and have everyone rural's street address posted in big numbers by their mailboxes for emergency services to see if there is a fire call, etc....it doesn't matter at all on a day-to-day basis, or when giving or getting directions. EMS might be dispatched to your numeric address, but everyone you talk to on a daily basis knows that you live in "the old Smith place," which is gotten to by "taking Main Street, turning left at the corn crib just outside of town, driving to the grain elevator, and it's on the left after the old one-room school house." They would be able to find your house in a heartbeat, but don't necessarily know that it's 15420 NE 3rd Road or whatever, and would never identify it as such.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

40,554 posts, read 24,890,800 times
Funniest directions I ever got were "take the old back road, you'll be going for like, I dunno, maybe five minutes, then take a sharp left where the blue trailer that burned down used to be. Not too sharp, it's a drop off, there, but it's that dirt road you want."

Um, if I knew where the blue trailer that burned down used to be, I probably wouldn't be asking for directions, and it's that dirt road I want as opposed to the thirty other dirt roads, right?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Funniest directions I ever got were "take the old back road, you'll be going for like, I dunno, maybe five minutes, then take a sharp left where the blue trailer that burned down used to be. Not too sharp, it's a drop off, there, but it's that dirt road you want."

Um, if I knew where the blue trailer that burned down used to be, I probably wouldn't be asking for directions, and it's that dirt road I want as opposed to the thirty other dirt roads, right?

However, in many rural areas, the trailer house burns only patially and that eyesore remains for years.

What is it with trailer house owners that it many times takes a court order for them to clean up the mess after a fire?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM

2,550 posts, read 4,056,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
or in any small towns at all?

I live outside of whats called a city, but is a small city of about 11,000...none the less there arent a lot of major intersections or main streets...

i was curious if they reference cross streets in your small town or any small town at all...as if telling someone where they live, do you use cross streets?

Yes, where I live there are lots of 4 and 3 way intersections. Every little street (or back roads) are listed in the phone book and are in the phone book map too.

It's growing very rapidly here also. Lots of new businesses opening up. We are getting a Fuddrucker's too, very soon!

Yes, I do used cross streets or streets that are less than 2-3 blocks from me to give directions to where I live (like for example: "if you have gone to Robert Rd. then you went 1 block too far. Navajo Rd. is a block BEFORE Robert Rd., if you are coming from the south of Hwy. 69").

Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
Delivery drivers should never have to ask for directions in places that have 911 addresses.

If they can't read a plat book ( or don't have one ) they shouldn't be a delivery driver !

Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 PM

63 posts, read 152,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
or in any small towns at all?

I live outside of whats called a city, but is a small city of about 11,000...none the less there arent a lot of major intersections or main streets...

i was curious if they reference cross streets in your small town or any small town at all...as if telling someone where they live, do you use cross streets?
I live in a very small rural Mo. town, but all our streets are named. We have had a little trouble with our address because it has 'avenue' on the end of it, and a street close by has the same name with 'street' on the end of it. We have had visitors and delivery people go to the wrong street.
I don't know what they were thinking when they did the naming.
We only have two stop lights in town and I think that is great. Now when we go to a larger town and have to keep stopping for lights it annoys me, since I am no longer used to that.
I consider myself very fortunate to live in such a nice little town that is crime free, when most of the world lives in chaos. When I lived in the St. Louis area I got a guard dog and a gun after we were almost broken in to.
Arundel

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
We live next door to the Old Foster Place. Now, when we moved in 13 years ago, the gentleman who leased it for cattle from Southwestern University had been leasing it for 35 years, and there hadn't been any Fosters on it for at least that period of time, and now it's owned by some development company out in California that has it and the other acres they put together with it to make up 500 acres (part of the Jones' girl's place and one other) on the market. Nonetheless, it is still the Old Foster place.

Directions to our place used to be, "Go east on 487. When you get to the zebras, turn left. If you get to the buffalo, you've gone to far, and if you get to the wallaby's, you've really gone too far."

A friend told of directions to a party in the country that included, "Turn right where the horse is standing in the corner of the field." Thing is, that was good directions - that horse was always standing in that corner of the field.

It's when I start trying to give directions using nearby intersections and road names that people get confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living