U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM

66 posts, read 179,182 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up you told people to go "three fursees and turn left at the big pine tree. Watch for the rocks falling though." A fursee is how far you can see from point a to the horizon. when you reach that spot, look as far as you can see and that is the next fursee. since the road goes up and down and round and round, the fursees make sense.
Hereabouts they say, "go to where the Burger King used to be and hang right." Now I give directions to my house by saying things like Get off the Interstate and go through the traffic light. Go 21 miles and start looking for the log cabin. Cause that traffic light is the last landmark there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,223,699 times
Not where I am. If you don't know where I live you can't find me. My home address didn't even show on Mapquest until a couple years ago. Directions? Head out 30 to the old highway store then go out couple miles, just past the Bryant farm. Or you can go out 70 and come in the back way past the old closed down post office, just past the old Gribble place.

Yep, they'll never find me!! *big grin*

Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,534,807 times
Locals here use compass directions and the ranches as locators - "We're about six miles down the dirt road South of the S____'s Place" , "You know, North of the first hill west of town" (There are a LOT of hills!!!), "The southwest road that goes past the VanW___'s place" etc. Once you get out of town, the dirt roads don't have names or numbers, just ranch family names on the clusters of mailboxes at the corners.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Not where I am. If you don't know where I live you can't find me. My home address didn't even show on Mapquest until a couple years ago. Directions? Head out 30 to the old highway store then go out couple miles, just past the Bryant farm. Or you can go out 70 and come in the back way past the old closed down post office, just past the old Gribble place.

Yep, they'll never find me!! *big grin*

------"they'll never find me "--

Maybe you are the one the fire dept was asking for directions in another thread.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 PM

860 posts, read 1,773,661 times
Nobody knows the names of most of the streets in our town, or if they even have names. I don't know if 'outer drive', 'the loop road', or 'the spur road' are real names or not but that's what we call a few. Otherwise, directions are.. accross, next to, three doors down from any familiar landmark .... As for me, I'm at McCormicks Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living