Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:47 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Good post. I can see where you're coming from. But I have come across some liberals in my 41 years who can be just as hosstile, and if not agreed with, label others as closed-minded, bigoted, ect, ect, ect. I'm not talking specific issues, just philisophicaly. I don't agree that conservatives are the biggest contributers to our nation's problems. It's both liberals and conservatives. That's why I'm a regestered Independent. There are as many hate-filled liberals as conservatives and plenty of hypocracy to go around. Please don't fall into the trap so many fall into that keeps all of us apart, that one side is the cause of our problems, and the other is as pure as can be. I agree with a lot of conservative view points, but I agree with what most would consider liberal views as well. But I don't automatically cast blame on liberals. It simpley works both ways. I feel as long as one side blames the other for the majority of our ills, we will always be polarized. Stupidity and "narrow-mindedness" knows no political affiliation. On both sides it's, "I'm tolerant", but disagree with them, and see how many names you're called. I know my stand is a minority one and is not politically correct, since I'm not affiliating with one side or the other. I'm just saying, standing as an Independent, I see MORE than enough blame to go around on BOTH sides. But I have found most people from both sides really do care, that's why I said I loved living here in the Charlotte area so much. The mix of liberal/conservative/independent is so refreashing and interesting, yet we all get along pretty darn well. Can't think of a better place to live!

Sorry for rambling!!! Just take your time, and I'm sure you'll find just the right place for you. It's hard for any of us to find that special place, but some of us do. I'm sure you will. Take care and good luck!!!
Thank you for being such a level-headed, shining beacon of civility! I actually concur with you 100%; the last thing I want to do is to be lured into the "pro-Liberal, anti-Conservative" trap that many "on the fence" have been falling into as of late. If it were up to me, I'd register as an Independent as well just to show my disdain for both parties, but I don't want to constantly vote in elections for people I know in advance are going to lose. As I said, I'm friends with both Liberal Democrats and Conservative Republicans, and I don't value one friendship over the other.

Actually, I don't even care if you support gay rights or even "agree" with the gay "lifestyle" (as they call it), as long as you keep your comments to yourself and don't run after us with pitchforks! I seem to notice that the majority here in Northeastern Pennsylvania are finally becoming "indifferent" to the GLBT community; they finally seem to be waking up to the fact that they've been living amongst us for generations without any sort of rampant hostility or a diminished quality-of-life for their families, so why fight us? I have the same ideologies on gay marriage; I don't need a stupid legal document or a justice of the peace to tell me that my significant other and I share a special bond and unparalleled love for each other, so why do so many others need it? When I do find someone, he'll feel cherished enough in life to never even question my faithfulness to him, and that's all that should truly matter in a relationship. However, I DO agree with fighting for equal financial benefits in the workplace; why should straight people have the luxury of having their medical coverage extended to their spouse or unmarried partner while gays and lesbians don't have that same option? THAT doesn't seem equitable to me, and that's something I'll continue to harp about in political discussions until employers treat all of their employees fairly.

I realize that my political views are likely 100% different than others, especially NHYRNUT, but I still respect him for his beliefs. The problem with polarization in this nation is that one party automatically believes that the other party is "wrong", when, in all reality, both are about half-wrong and half-right. If we could create an Indepedent party large enough in this country to grab the "rights" from both of the parties in order to form a fresh party that DOES seem to have the nation's best interests in mind, then perhaps we'd have more people joining the Independent ranks, including myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 49,589 times
Wise comments from a young man.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thank you for being such a level-headed, shining beacon of civility! I actually concur with you 100%; the last thing I want to do is to be lured into the "pro-Liberal, anti-Conservative" trap that many "on the fence" have been falling into as of late. If it were up to me, I'd register as an Independent as well just to show my disdain for both parties, but I don't want to constantly vote in elections for people I know in advance are going to lose. As I said, I'm friends with both Liberal Democrats and Conservative Republicans, and I don't value one friendship over the other.

Actually, I don't even care if you support gay rights or even "agree" with the gay "lifestyle" (as they call it), as long as you keep your comments to yourself and don't run after us with pitchforks! I seem to notice that the majority here in Northeastern Pennsylvania are finally becoming "indifferent" to the GLBT community; they finally seem to be waking up to the fact that they've been living amongst us for generations without any sort of rampant hostility or a diminished quality-of-life for their families, so why fight us? I have the same ideologies on gay marriage; I don't need a stupid legal document or a justice of the peace to tell me that my significant other and I share a special bond and unparalleled love for each other, so why do so many others need it? When I do find someone, he'll feel cherished enough in life to never even question my faithfulness to him, and that's all that should truly matter in a relationship. However, I DO agree with fighting for equal financial benefits in the workplace; why should straight people have the luxury of having their medical coverage extended to their spouse or unmarried partner while gays and lesbians don't have that same option? THAT doesn't seem equitable to me, and that's something I'll continue to harp about in political discussions until employers treat all of their employees fairly.

I realize that my political views are likely 100% different than others, especially NHYRNUT, but I still respect him for his beliefs. The problem with polarization in this nation is that one party automatically believes that the other party is "wrong", when, in all reality, both are about half-wrong and half-right. If we could create an Indepedent party large enough in this country to grab the "rights" from both of the parties in order to form a fresh party that DOES seem to have the nation's best interests in mind, then perhaps we'd have more people joining the Independent ranks, including myself?
Good post. I think too many feel too threatened by a major independent part to give it a fair shake.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Getting back to the original post, here's one I haven't seen posted yet: Iowa City, IA. It's home to the University of Iowa and the biggest employer is the large teaching hospital, so lots of well-educated, broad minded citizens. It has about 70k residents (had about 50k when I went to undergrad school there in the 70s). Politics are very liberal. I came there from the East, never having been in the Midwest, and certainly didn't expect to find such a liberal environment. In a state of middle-of-the-road politics, it's an oasis. If you need the big city from time to time, Chicago's about 3 hours away.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
Boone, North Carolina.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Don't know where you are or where you'd like to be geographically, but Taos, NM is a liberal, small town, somewhat isolated from the lower part of the State by miles of mountain ranges, and has a political consciousness.

It is under 5,000 with a county population of about 30,000. It has made some zoning and re-districting decision that allowed some mall/marts into town but yesterday's paper, a weekly, headlined a reduction in condo development which says there may be more well-conceived plans for infrastructure.

One of the most serious issues, however, even with sustainability, is the potential of scarce water.

Taosnews is online: www.taosnews.com

Old 12-17-2006, 01:03 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
I could have written your letter. We're in central Oregon, which is beautiful but far too conservative (how did conservatives get a monopoly on small towns?)
You don't get the connection between having a liberal population and overcrowded/congestion/do your own thing/crime infested places?

If liberalism made those places a good place to live in, people wouldn't be fleeing those places in droves.

Why are people attracted to living in small conservative towns? Could it be that those conservative values are what makes the place a nice place to raise a family?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
As has been suggested before, Vermont is probably the best place by far for liberals looking for small-town living.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
New Paltz gets a second vote from me, as well as Northampton MA.

Amherst MA is a great little area too.

Anywhere downstate NY is pretty liberal and you can find some very quiet towns mixed in the bustle.

Out of the three I would choose Amherst MA and live off 116 near Atkins farmstand. Little slice of heaven there! The surrounding towns are great too with access to all you need to be happy as far as malls, resturants and healthcare are concerned.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,342 times
Arcata, CA... but please make sure that there will be room for me to move there in a year.

Williamstown MA... in fact pretty much anywhere in Berkshire County MA or Bennington County VT.

Point Reyes Station, CA... Lagunitas, CA... pretty much any town in western Marin County CA, but beware it is HELLA expensive

If you want a mix between rural and city try Eugene, OR

Also for the Oregon Coast, Port Orford seems pretty chill and liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living