U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times

Advertisements

Well you scared the poop out of him. Cause and effect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:20 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,448,314 times
Lightening the load to gain altitude to avoid a collision....

Old 09-26-2009, 06:25 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,143,902 times

Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM

141 posts, read 291,986 times
I hope I'm not going off subject here. But, I have a "This was a first for me".

A few years ago my family traveled to West Virginia to visit my mother. This was only my second trip there, and my first visit as an adult. Much to mine and my family's surprise as we went further into the mountains and hollers, at 2 o'clock in the morning, we see a casket on the ground, in a parking spot, locked outside the gate of a cemetery.

I asked my grandmother about this oddity the next morning and she just shrugged her shoulders and said, "the funeral home probably couldn't get them there in time for the funeral".

True Story!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
I'm still trying to figure out how you identify "loose cattle." Do they wear a lot of makeup and flaunt their udders at you?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM

7,773 posts, read 13,225,135 times
B4U would those "road surprises" be let by the cattle left loose and out in the road? lol
I have an experience from a friend of mine about hitting a cow. He was coming home from taking his girlfriend home around midnight, came around a curve and hit one of several cows in the road. A car behind him knew who they belonged to (one of those everybody knows everybody places). They went to get the farmer and to get to a phone to call the state police and wrecker. This was in the 70s before cell phones. The farmer came and asked my friend if he was OK. He said a little shook up. I would be too if my small car had just been totalled by a cow!. The farmer reached in his truck window and pulled out a nice cold can of beer, and offered it to my friend, to "help him calm down". My friend realized what he was doing and said no. Didn't matter that he didn't drink anyway. When the trooper got there and made out his report, my firend told him about the farmer offering him a beer, and he was just 17. Farmer denied it and trooper was told to check in the front of his truck. Can was laying in the seat. Farmer went to jail for offering alcohol to a minor and several other charges. If there had been alcohol on the 17 yr old's breath, he would have been at fault and had to pay for the cow. Otherwise the farmer was out a cow and his insurance had to buy my friend another car. Farmer got 60 days, I think, to sit and think about it.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:53 AM

1,491 posts, read 4,694,853 times
Around here, the owner of the cattle are at fault for any accidents the cattle might cause. Therefore.....you guessed it....all animals that are hit seem to be 'orphans', just strangers passing through the area - don't belong to anybody and nobody is missing a cow at all!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
"Road Signs for Dummies"

Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I'm sure this has happened other places, but I've NEVER seen anything like this before. I have lived in rural areas pretty much all my life and grew up in an area with quite a few cattle farms. As we were coming home from the woodworker's supply store this afternoon, we came across one of those flashing road signs that the highway department uses to warn of upcoming road hazards that was very clearly warning us .........

Caution

Loose Cattle

When I was a kid, once a long time ago, we were travelling East from Yosemite California and there, painted on a rock it said....

"sign 10 miles".

I thought it was pretty funny then. Still do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Just before Greenville, Maine there is a big yellow sign, with flashing yellow strobes that says. "Caution. Moose in Roadway Next 15 Miles." Its a big enough problem that they had to install FLASHING lights.

Of course we also have bumper stickers that say "Brake for Moose; It could Save Your Life." You hit those spindly leg behemoths and the legs are knocked out and the 900 pound moose enters your car via your windshield. Both you and the moose are having a bad day then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living