U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times

Advertisements

As for livestock issues, everyone knows that I am not a big fan of the Amish, but when I see them I do slow down. Apparently not everyone does that and in 2 years they have had 3 horses hit by cars. The last guy has sued them repeatedly over it and we think he actually deliberately hit the horse so that he could sue. I know the Amish never would, but there is talk of some of the good ole boys going down to his house and sticking up for the Amish.

As I said, I am not a big fan of the Amish, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Anyone that deliberately kills someones (anyones) livestock deserves to get their knees broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,195,523 times
In West Virginia there was an old time Indian Chief named Falling Rock.
I guess he left the tipi one day and never returned. They are still looking for him.
They still have signs up that says "Watch for Falling Rock"

Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM

2,550 posts, read 4,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I'm sure this has happened other places, but I've NEVER seen anything like this before. I have lived in rural areas pretty much all my life and grew up in an area with quite a few cattle farms. As we were coming home from the woodworker's supply store this afternoon, we came across one of those flashing road signs that the highway department uses to warn of upcoming road hazards that was very clearly warning us .........

Caution

Loose Cattle

I remember, when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Beaumont, Texas there was some cows that got loose in the town streets there. I used to live about 2 blocks from Alice Keith Park and they were about a block or so from there. I could see them from my house (they were in front of my best friend, Eliana's house)!! My mother was scared and told me to get in the house. It was such an amazing site to see cows on the city street there!!!

I don't remember, to this day, where they had come from. I think, if I remember the story, came out of a truck that was hauling them or something. It was in the local paper, but it was about 24 or 25 years ago. I don't remember the whole story now, sorry.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,957,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I remember, when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Beaumont, Texas there was some cows that got loose in the town streets there. I used to live about 2 blocks from Alice Keith Park and they were about a block or so from there. I could see them from my house (they were in front of my best friend, Eliana's house)!! My mother was scared and told me to get in the house. It was such an amazing site to see cows on the city street there!!!

I don't remember, to this day, where they had come from. I think, if I remember the story, came out of a truck that was hauling them or something. It was in the local paper, but it was about 24 or 25 years ago. I don't remember the whole story now, sorry.
They were Grange members.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,957,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Just before Greenville, Maine there is a big yellow sign, with flashing yellow strobes that says. "Caution. Moose in Roadway Next 15 Miles." Its a big enough problem that they had to install FLASHING lights.

Of course we also have bumper stickers that say "Brake for Moose; It could Save Your Life." You hit those spindly leg behemoths and the legs are knocked out and the 900 pound moose enters your car via your windshield. Both you and the moose are having a bad day then.
wired Moose.............

Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 PM

139 posts, read 515,223 times
One day at work,driving to the next job.A chinese restaurant.The Foo King chinese food restaurant.I got 100 laughs out of that.Hey Bob,.."are you getting Foo King hungry? we should get some Foo King food! I'm Foo King hungry!" I couldn't make that Foo King up.I guess it's a Foo King true story.Really Foo King funny.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,534,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Excused absences 20 years ago at my school:

Animals got loose.
Planting/harvesting
Plowing

We've suburbanized so we don't see those now, and have gone from 50% of the kids being farm kids to only 1 or 2 kids.
At the school where I work, "cattle got out", "sale day" "calving" and "branding" are all still excused absences.

As for the "makeup and flaunting their udders" loose cattle comment, now THAT's FUNNY!!!

We don't have signs out here; cattle running free means a waste of money, and folks'll leave their job or school immediately to go herd them back in. We do get calls at the school from people advising their neighbors' kids that their cows are out, and the kids leave school to go put them back in. This usually only happens if the parents' numbers are either unknown or not answered, though. I have had to call several parents (the school, after all, has all of their contact numbers) to advise them that their neighbors have seen their cows out.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
My wife is a teacher and her small rural school is surrounded by two farms. Last week a bunch of cows got out and scared the crap out of her by stepping up to the window and letting out a big ole moooo. She stopped class because there was no way she could maintain order until the cows wondered off 10 minutes later.

Up in Aroostook County where potatoe farmers abound, in october the school takes off a full two weeks so the kids will be available for harvest season. They do go to school early in August to make up for those weeks however. Still kind of neat how that tradition continues.

Myself, in school I used to fall asleep because during harvest season, or planting season I might be up all hours of the night. Even on non harvest or planting days I typically did not get my dairy farm chores done until 12:30 AM and got up at 6 AM. Some teachers understood the issue, while others were pretty brutal and didn't cut any of the farm boys any slack. I didn't fall asleep in class because I didn't care...oh no...if I got less than a C my Grandfather would take the ax handle to me, so I cared a lot...broken ribs is a good motivator, but exhaustion is exhaustion.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM

19,121 posts, read 27,054,236 times
When I was in school I missed quite a few days due to 'kidding season' and it was a completely acceptable excuse, and this was in the late 90's. I used to bring my teachers fresh goat cheese to make up for it

We also see 'loose cattle' sign up every once in a while, and I live in coastal California

Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,394,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I'm sure this has happened other places, but I've NEVER seen anything like this before. I have lived in rural areas pretty much all my life and grew up in an area with quite a few cattle farms. As we were coming home from the woodworker's supply store this afternoon, we came across one of those flashing road signs that the highway department uses to warn of upcoming road hazards that was very clearly warning us .........

Caution

Loose Cattle

Sounds like my kind of place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living