U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,401,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
In West Virginia there was an old time Indian Chief named Falling Rock.
I guess he left the tipi one day and never returned. They are still looking for him.
They still have signs up that says "Watch for Falling Rock"
He saw someone throw out some garbage on the road and got depressed so he jumped off a cliff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,006,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yup, fewer people providing the food for more people.

And yet some people believe those fewer people could still supply the food for the masses by farming like the olden days.

That is naive thinking.
"The cultivator is alone, but those who eat are many."

Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,813,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't have the photos now but there are deer crossing signs in the commercial districts in the FL keys.
We call them dancing deer signs up here so the kids would look for deers dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Excused absences 20 years ago at my school:

Animals got loose.
Planting/harvesting
Plowing

We've suburbanized so we don't see those now, and have gone from 50% of the kids being farm kids to only 1 or 2 kids.
We are on a 2 day fall break now that when I was in school we had the whole week for harvesting. You are right not many kids farm or help out on the farm anymore.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:04 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times
They have "Illegal Alien" crossing signs in So Cal.
Attached Thumbnails
This was a first for me!-illegal-aliens.gif  

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-24-2009 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 AM

15,893 posts, read 15,536,185 times
Driving through another state a couple of years ago was interesting. There were 2 road signs in particular that struck me as odd but were actually valid warnings.

One was "DO NOT DRIVE INTO SMOKE."

The other was located along a highway with a prison close by:

"HITCHHIKERS MAY BE ESCAPED CONVICTS."

Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Well, it is hunting season now, and we saw two "Warning - Wildlife Crossing!" signs up last night as we drove home from our semi-annual trip to "the big city".
Unfortunately, within a hundred feet of each sign (signs were abt 10 miles apart) was a dead deer. Apparently the dumb creatures didn't wait for their signal.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,763,128 times
Back in the 70's I worked at a nuclear station on Lake Huron. The road that I drove to work on was brand new, smooth and just asking to be sped upon. I was late for a midnight shift and I was driving way too fast especially considering it was foggy. I came around this gentle curve and all of a sudden there were 30 cattle spread out on the road right in front of me. I sort of zig zaged around and I really don't know how it was possible but I missed them all. I said afterwards that God must have been steering the car because it was a one in a million chance that I didn't hit one. Anyway there was a farm up the road a ways and I pulled in there and thumped on the door. Everyone was asleep and not that friendly until I asked them if they were their beasts. They were and I went back there with the farmer and it took us about 3 hours to round them up. I finally rolled into work at about 4 am.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 AM

15,893 posts, read 15,536,185 times
That was very nice of you to help the farmer round up the critters. Maybe you avoided hitting the cattle because you have done similar good deeds in the past.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Back in the 70's I worked at a nuclear station on Lake Huron. The road that I drove to work on was brand new, smooth and just asking to be sped upon. I was late for a midnight shift and I was driving way too fast especially considering it was foggy. I came around this gentle curve and all of a sudden there were 30 cattle spread out on the road right in front of me. I sort of zig zaged around and I really don't know how it was possible but I missed them all. I said afterwards that God must have been steering the car because it was a one in a million chance that I didn't hit one. Anyway there was a farm up the road a ways and I pulled in there and thumped on the door. Everyone was asleep and not that friendly until I asked them if they were their beasts. They were and I went back there with the farmer and it took us about 3 hours to round them up. I finally rolled into work at about 4 am.
That truly was a great deed.

However, at every job I had I would have gotten written up if I came to work 4 hours late for midnite shift using that excuse.

Also, the guy I was supposed to relieve would not be very happy to be stuck on his shift an extra 4 hours.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM

31,148 posts, read 50,323,277 times
Default the best road signs I have seen

The best road sign I have seen was while visiting an Army base in Oklahoma during our sons' graduation from basic-training, we stayed at the RV park on-base. The road that leads to the RV park winds around between a few artillery ranges. When you first turn-off onto this road you pass a sign that warns drivers that there may be artillery rounds flying by over-head. During the night, as we tried to sleep, there were repeated explosions that shook the ground and rattled our motorhome. The next day, while driving out again, there was a crater in the pavement and yellow tape setup around the perimeter, so you had to go onto the oncoming lane to pass by the crater.

In front of that crater was the sign that got my attention:

Warning!
Unexploded Ordinance!

The next best sign I have seen was while touring in Israel. Our tour bus had driven up a dirt road, and stopped in a parking area, our group was at the archaeological site looking around, and I wandered over to the parking area. You see the dirt road continued on past the parking area, but to continue on you would have had to pass by a small road sign hung on a post. Our bus driver did not wish to pass that sign. It was a small sign, though it had writing on it in multiple languages. It looking rather beaten up and old, it had a few bullet holes in it even.

This tiny little sign said:

Warning mine field!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living