U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,703,453 times

Advertisements

How strange the way things happen...just yesterday when I drove out out 600 foot woods surrounded driveway I came upon to large goats at the end where it goes out onto the county road. I immediately thought " Aha! That is what ate so many of my yard plants last night! I was blaming a herd of deer, as there was so much damage.
I turned around to go back to our house and report to my husband. The stupid goats got in front of me and went all the way to where our yard started. I gave hubby the report, and tried to use a broom to run the goats off. They were totally unconcerned, no matter how hard I whacked them. Hubby decided to lead them back through our woods, to their home.They diligently followed. I went on to my Doctor's appointment.
When I returned a few hours later, the goats were still an issue. They were even coming up on our front porch. I called the neighbor who was the owner..but they had moved, and had a new phone number! I found out, through other phone calls, that they had not only deserted the goats, they had deserted the Great Pyrenees watch dog!
I called our local sheriff's office. When I told the deputy that my husband was threatening to shoot them, he laughted! Since our sheriff is not only one of our close neighbors, but also my husbands second cousin, as soon as he got off he was at our house. I had chained one goat to a tree, since it had a collar on that I could hook the chain too.
It turns out the goats were raised by the sheriff's 17 year old daughter who was killed in a tragic auto accident a year ago in the spring. She had sold them to that neighbor!
Anyway, after a phone call, he went home and got a couple of more leashes for them, and his wife came back with him. She led them up the very steep hill to their house ( with some difficulty! ). At least 2 charges are to be filed against the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

7,793 posts, read 13,245,680 times
My step daughter and son-in-law woke up around 2 AM a couple weeks ago to find cows from the farmer next to them, all over their yard, on the carport and in the garage, thoroughly fertilizing everything. They drove down and woke up the farmer who came through the hole he found in the fence and got the cows back through. He did apologize. SIL it thinking next time he and his shotgun will help fill the freezer. He's been told by others around him it has been done.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM

14,746 posts, read 45,884,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Go to the sale barn and get the scruffiest, most ill bred, ugly, skinny bull that you can. Keep it on your property. Don't worry too much about the fence.
I think we have a winner here...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,969,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Get a strand of hot wire across your shared area...it will keep them off and it's pretty cheap and easy to put up.
We live on open range here. Thus, the owner of the cattle has no responsibility to fence livestock in, it is a homeowners to fence them out. If cattle on the lawn bothers them anyway. Same with horses, sheep etc. "livestock" covers a lot of ground, literally and figuratively.Open range laws can be a nightmare for city transplants who don't understand what running livestock entails. We had a SoCal transplant up the highway from us a few years back, he raised hell in many a county comissioners meetiing about cattle on his place, trucks pulling horset railers raising to much dust on the dirt road by his house etc. He had put up a single stand of TWINE around his property , and the cattle and such were supposed to respect that, in his view. He did no last long. So, to the OP, if the cattle on your place are a nuisance, you should fence them out, put up a secondary barrier(someone suggested a hotwire) but bear in mind that cattle have litle respect for ANY fence. They can walk through barb wire as easy as crossing a field. Living with livestock requies a level of tolerance. It could be worse, you could be living next to an alligator farm

Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,348,696 times
Open range here as well in Northern NSW. My DH drove onto our 90 acres the other day to see some of the neighbors cattle lounging around out the back of our cabin, one sniffling around in the carport (and promptly leaving his opinions of it), a few calves chillin' out under the shadiest tree...and a few nervously inspecting the posts of the future yard fence. It sounds like we're gonna have to make one side hot from what I've read on here.

We were thinking of asking for an agistment fee for the bovine visitors, (it's about 2.50 per cow, and theres a lot of 'em) but obviously we'd have to fence the entire property first. They do keep the grass down, and er...fertilized. It sounds like the OP is having a tough time but bovines aren't malicious, they're just doin' the cow thing. We've had more trouble with the neighbors riding their dirt bikes on our land, without asking. Yaknow, you don't buy 90 acres in the middle of nowhere 'cuz ya want to meet the neighbors.
But, if it's a cattleman rounding up cattle, and they need to be on our land, that's another thing entirely. Difference 'tween working and needing access and just being a nuisance.
(The noisy neighbors are from the city, they only come up on school holidays.)

Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,541,805 times
Well, it's already been said a few times, but if you really want to make sure to keep your neighbor's cows off your land, you need to fence in your land. If the cows aren't coming through the common fenceline, then they are crossing onto your property somewhere else, which is not the responsibility of the ranch owner. If you have your property entirely fenced and gated (with appropriate fencing and gates), then you will know that the fence is intact, or that you can get out there and fix it. Once this is done, and the fence is properly maintained, then, and only then, you would have a legitimate gripe if the neighbor's cows came onto your property. At that point, you would most likely even have legal standing to file a claim for damages, if the problems continued.

I actually think most of the open range statutes (like the Wyoming "fence out" statute mentioned by Sunsprit above) are beneficial to the community. It places the responsibility on the property owner to decide whether to allow a neighbor's livestock to roam across his property. If he doesn't want to allow it, he has the responsibility to erect an appropriate fence.

In my case, I have rural acreage in Wyoming that, for the most part, is not fenced. I have chosen not to fence it at this time, because I like the idea that open range cattle graze the property and keep the brush to a minimum, thereby reducing the fire danger. If, at some later time, I decide that I don't want to allow livestock to roam on my property, then I will erect a fence to keep them out. As I understand it, Wyoming has specific guidelines as to what is an appropriate fence. If adhered to, and the livestock still gets in, the landowner has the right to charge for the care of the animal(s). This, in my opinion, is a fair and equitable way to keep neighbors neighborly.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,698,902 times
Although the OP didn't state where they lived. I am quite sure it is not in an " open range" area.

"shared fences"-------"propertly line fences"----------indicates they do not live in an open range area.

just a question----------if open range means cattlle go anywhere they want, why do ranch hands spend most of their time checking and repairing fences ?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM

20,535 posts, read 38,444,976 times
Because some ranchers don't want the cows of others mingling with their herd, perhaps? Doesn't fit in with their breeding program?

Apparently 13 states have open range laws.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM

7,551 posts, read 15,713,210 times
I live in a state that has both open and closed range, so it depends on where you are. Even within counties there are closed and open areas (I live in a closed area, but the other side of a major highway is open).

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,884,536 times
A friend of mine had a problem when his rude neighbor got a bunch of chickens and let them free range (and do their "business") on my friend's property.

This friend made some signs on his printer that said "Rat Poison - Keep Out" and had them laminated in plastic at Staples for $1.90, nailed them up on existing posts, and never saw another chicken in his yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living