U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times

Advertisements

When posting questions like this thread, the OP should say what state they resude in,

As is duly noted, laws and customs vary widely from state to state.

( just a suggestion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I don't know anything about cattle, fencing, etc. but it doesn't seem fair to me that the OP has to be responsible for the fence in any way. The other guy is the one with the animals that need to be contained, it should be his responsibility to be sure he has adequate fencing.

I could see if these were two cattle farms abutting, then the two owners should share the responsibility of fixing the fence, because essentially they are both using it.

It sounds like the OP only wants the fence fixed so that the neighbors cattle will stay on the neighbor's property. Not for his/her own personal use.

LOL, this might make me a "cidiot"!!
No "mights' about it.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,806,159 times
We live in open range here too. A local rancher's cattle got out and spooked my horses in their pasture causing a $400 vet bill for a filly who jumped on and crushed a gate. It was my responsibility to have fenced the cattle off of my land. If my horses get out and a tourist hits one, the tourist pays for the animal. I don't pay for his damaged car. That's the way open range works.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
I was raised on a Dairy farm. We had appox,260 acres. It was shaped almost like a minature Michigan. The fields for harvesting and the grazing lands were completely surrounded by woodland. It was fenced with 4 strands of barb wire and an electric fence, with a 2 track lane between the woods and fence. The electric wire was mainly use to let use know when the fence was down. When the red light on the main box was out, we knew the fence was down or damaged.
We didn't have many nieghborly complaints. Our biggest problem was deer jumping the fence and sometimes causing a stampede into the fence. The woods outside the fence was extra support in limiting how far the cows would go. The woods was part of our property too.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM

412 posts, read 626,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Get the BBQ started...do I smell steak?
Exactly right. I'd be filling my freezer.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
I prefer my steaks come from a younger steer or heifer.

Those beef cows are probably 10 years old and when slaughtered would all be boned out for hamburger meat.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
It would be interesting to know what the OP's age is. I have found that as I get older, I start fighting less battles over "who is right and who is wrong", and really picking my battles carefully. When I was in my 20's, I took on all these type of issues wholeheartedly.

As a large landowner, and farmer I know this is a two-edged sword. I am responsible for the safe confinement of my livestock, but gosh darn it the profit margins in farming right now as so low, and the cost of fencing so high, its probably the limiting factor on my expansion. And if the cows are getting out, then that typically means the forage is lacking on the farmers side of the fence...an indication that they are running the maximum number of head for the given acreage...or are intensively grazing.

I am doing a lot of assumptions here, but all things considered, if the OP "doesn't live in a shack", and owns a small amount of land, then probably its in his best interest to just drop the entire who-is-right and who-is-wrong debate, and put up a better fence. It sounds like he is not poor by any means, and with only a few acres, the cost will be negligible.

But this is the issue with a society today that needs to do more for itself. Yes the farmer should take responsibility for the livestock he has, but in an industry that must buy at retail and sell everything at wholesale, sometimes you just make do with what you have. At the same time though, a homeowner (if they have the means) should also do more to defend the property. If society did more of what they can, instead of sitting on their hiney and demanding others into action, America would be a far better place.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,659,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
If society did more of what they can, instead of sitting on their hiney and demanding others into action, America would be a far better place.
You got that right..............

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
Just a thought...
We bought 60 acres of fenced and cross-fenced property, 14 acres in 'town' (177 people) and the rest in the county. We are buying a few head of cattle at the end of the month. Prior to this, we will ride the entire length of the property, fixing the fences for winter. We are surrounded by cattle ranches to the east, west, and north, with the town to the south. In over a year and a half, their cattle have never come onto our property.

However, in town, a neighbor on the westernmost piece of our town property leased her 1/2 acre to a fella for his donkey. The donkey turned out to be a wisea$$, who wedged open the fence between our properties and cavorted onto ours. We currently have an old mare who wanders about our acreage, and she 'adopted' him. We caught him as he came into the corral with her for supper, and put him in a stall in a pole barn. He was not happy, and made a complete a$$ of himself. We called the neighbor and he sent one of his friends (he is a long distance trucker) to come and get the worthless a$$ off of our property. We went down and fixed the fence because we did not want his little a$$ on our property any more. He actually ended up having to sell a little a$$ because he was so destructive.

Realizing that this happens in a rural community, accepting it, and working together to solve the problem with a sense of humor and neighborliness can solve a lot of problems. Many of my neighbors own and operate ranches, and are constantly out having to fix their fences, because a heavy and determined Angus bull or cow can and does eventually bring down a fence - especially if there is an attraction - animal or vegetable - across that fence that lures them. We keep our chickens in a pen with buried wire because of varmints; and we will keep our fences up to keep the surrounding ranches' creatures from becoming amorous toward ours - but the heart wants what it wants, and determined cows or bulls will seek it out. They are not 'dumb animals' by any stretch. Animals are not intentionally destructive (well, except maybe that little a$$) they simply see something that strikes their fancy and go for it. I don't mind free cow, horse, or even a$$ poop because it is very useful in my gardens. A mechanical manure spreader is expensive.

Wild dogs that can and do destroy property and kill without purpose, or vandalizing teens that do the same, are a totally different category. Not to mention that dog or human fertilizer is not helpful at all. Unless of course you bury them where you shoot them.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM

54 posts, read 431,766 times
OP here (A.K.A "ass" to some of you). Nope, not from the City. Nope, where I live is NOT open range, therefore the law is on my side. I do happen to have my property completely fenced...just not the driveway, and that's how they got in the second time. Right up the driveway.

Nope, did not "behave like a bull and demand changes" (where do you get this??) I accepted it gracefully the first time it happened, then asked the neighbor to please keep his animals on his own property the second time it happended in a week. (and have since found out this cattle farmer is not liked by the neighbors because he never feeds the cows and they regularly break out of his acreage to find grass elsewhere)

And to TexasHorseLady (who I am very glad I do not live near by)-

-I have no dogs
-I do not turn on ANY lights outside my home...guess what? I like the stars too!
-I wave to my neighbors
-I don't push to 'change' anything

All I want was to live on my little space of this Earth (that I worked damn hard for) in peace and quiet, doing my own thing and bothering no-one. And all I asked in return is if my personal property was damaged, that the person responsible would make sure it was unlikely to happen again, and offer to take care of the damage. Didn't think that was so much to ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living