U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times

Advertisements

marmac, I'll give you an example. The other night, I got up in the middle of the night, about 3:00 in the morning. I happened to glance towards the mud room, and thought that there must be a helicopter (star Flight, perhaps, or an inmate had escaped and was being searched for) over my neighbor's house. (Said neighbor is about a quarter of a mile away.) Why? Because there was a very bright light that looked like it was from a helicopter, it was so bright. When I went outside to see what was going on, after seeing an almost blinding light through the ligustrums in that direction, I noted that a new security light had been installed way above the roof of the house, so that it illuminated the entire rooftop and the yard all the way around the house.

This was bright enough to attract my attention from a quarter mile away. That's excessive, especially in the country.

You'll note that I did mention that there are ways to have security lighting if one must have it without causing light pollution. Nice thing is, they're more cost effective, as well, for the person using the security lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
----"bright enough to attract my attention from a quarter mile away "

Any light will " attract my attention" even a half mile away.

Doesn't mean he can't have it on, though or that he is infringing on my property rights.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Let me guess - you have a lot of bright lights at your place, right? And attracting my attention enough to wake me up at night is not, I think, what you're referring to above.

Now, my neighbors on the other side, about the same distance away, have a lighted arena, and it is REALLY bright. However, when it's lit up, I know that they are using it, and when they aren't using it, they turn the lights off and make do with smaller lighting inside the barns and at the front door. That's not a problem at all.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM

17,091 posts, read 22,609,680 times
I'm not suggesting a law be made to control outdoor lighting, but a good neighbor would be willing to cut back a bit on the lighting, especially seeing as how it's pointless to have lights on all night in the country.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Calvert County, MD has a light pollution ordinance for shopping centers and larger developments. Unfortunately a lot were grandfathered in when the ordinance was adopted.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Not an issue here at all. In fact its kind of funny. Bosch lights are tested here in Waldo County, Maine. They claim that because of the hills, the stars, the ambient light, etc, we have the "perfect darkness" to test headlights on cars.

I am kind of with Marmac on this one...its just another silly name for another problem that does not really exist. Light pollution...come on give me a break. A tractor trailer truck of electronic trash dumped into a river is pollution, a neighbors lights being installed high and left on is an annoyance.

What's next, shooting a teenager because they walk on your lawn. Oh right, that has already happened in the USA.

Why must we all get zoning ordinances and "laws" and the police involved, when all it takes is for you to have the bravado to walk over to the house and say, "That light shines right in my bedroom and if it was lowered a bit, it would not bother me?" Instead we have to get other "authoraties" involved to deal with what could be done easily upon ourselves because we are unwilling to stand up for ourselves.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,258,552 times
When I left the big city and retired to the country one of the things I was really looking forward to was some simple star gazing in my own back yard. Shortly after I moved in the neighbor across the street, a 4th or 5th generation local, installed one of those dusk to dawn high intensity lights up on a very high pole.

I have no idea why. It is an elderly woman, not a farmer who has livestock near the house that are at risk of predators in the night. Crime here is almost non existent and most of it tends to be things like domestic violence, drunk driving, check kiting etc., not home robbery, car theft or break ins, etc., where bright lighting might be a bit of a deterrent.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM

star gazing ?

I have a yard light that is automatic and I can look out my window and still see the moon and stars right through it.

Yes, my neighbors can see my yard light if they look in my direction, but how is my yardlight,on my property, affecting their ability to star gaze from their property.

The complaints here remind me of that old story/joke --------an old woman called the cops complaining the male neighbor was nude in his house and had his window shades open.
When the cops went inside her house,they said--" you can't see his bedroom window from your house."

The old woman pointed to a chair and said-----" yes you can if you stand on that chair and look sharply to your left"

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 AM

When we moved out here 12 years ago, we could see the Milky Way just about every clear night. It was beautiful, awe-inspiring, and we spent many an evening sitting in chairs on the lawn talking and watching it and occasionally using a telescope.

Gradually, over the years, more people have moved to the area from the city (we moved here from the city, too, by the way, and the first thing we did was turn off the outside lights unless we were actually using them). The degradation in the ability to see the stars is noticeable, and that's with them moving in not next door, but down the road.

Those of you who are laughing at the idea of "light pollution" might want to actually follow the link I've provided and read some of the information there. Heck, you don't even have to go that far - I've seen recent articles in the news on the studies they've found regarding the medical impact on too much light for too many hours.

However, if you'll note, I'm not advocating laws regarding lighting, simply grousing about people who are afraid of the dark who mess it up for everyone else, and pointing out that there are ways to have a win-win situation - ways of security lighting that don't ruin the skies for those who appreciate them, while at the same time reducing the financial cost for those who want security lighting.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Get real !

Have any of you ever driven a car ?

Even with your headlights on bright there is only so far in the distance that is lit up.

You rural folks telling me that your neighbors lights ( not directly aimed at you) can reach your place and affect you is laughable.

Gosh, maybe I should complain to my neighbor ( 3/4 miles away)
He had the nerve to put up a 90 ft silo that blocks my view of the horizon if I stand at a certain place on my land.

The nerve of him ! (sarc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living