U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM

748 posts, read 976,601 times

Advertisements

....I have no idea why. It is an elderly woman, not a farmer who has livestock near the house that are at risk of predators in the night. Crime here is almost non existent and most of it tends to be things like domestic violence, drunk driving, check kiting etc., not home robbery, car theft or break ins, etc., where bright lighting might be a bit of a deterrent.[/quote]

The reason why the old lady put up a large light on the roof is because she saw you out there with your telescope (passive-aggressive behavior). This is why we have to have laws (rules, ordinances, what ever) because 3rd grade mentality people can't accept somebody else’s simple needs & wants in life.

In general, I’m a very judgmental person, but I respect other peoples’ idiosyncrasies. In fact, I try to accommodate people I don’t like just as much as people I do like; it’s only human.

BrokenTap/Marmac_Wow, you guys are well respected veterans on this site. I quote your stuff (BrokenTap) to my wife all the time but to say light pollution is laughable is woefully uninformed. But that’s okay, because I know both of you are passionate about facts & the way the world works so I trust that you will look into this a little further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
------" point the light towards the ground-"

As if it isn't?

To light up a football field you use lights high in the air pointing to the ground.

I'll bet the vast majority of rural lights are also-- pointing to the ground

Just cuz you can see a neighbor's light, doesn't mean it is illuminating your property.

strange that people move to rural areas and then talk about --" community"

Perhaps a gated community with strict ordinances would be more to your liking.

Last edited by marmac; 10-05-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
I expect my neighbors to keep their cattle and their lights on their own property.

Just because I can see their cattle or see their lights from my property, doesn't mean they are not meeting my expectations.

To expect their lights and cattle not to be visible from my property is meddling in their business.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,839,487 times
Wow, just wow! There's really nothing more to be said.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM

15,587 posts, read 7,663,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You might want to send them some literature from the International Dark-Sky Association.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Just send them to the International Dark Sky Association website I linked to earlier. There's information on there regarding studies that show that lighting things up like daylight just makes it easier for criminals because, duh, they can see (and who's watching for them in the middle of the night?) and advice on ways to have security lighting that doesn't cause light pollution, if you still feel you must have it.

They also say this:

Quote:
The members of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) on Thursday, August 13, voted unanimously to approve a resolution in defense of the night sky and the right to starlight.

Sounds like they got lost in the 60s.

And no... I don't have bright exterior lights.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM

21,104 posts, read 36,600,807 times
This issue with high rural output by surrounding neighbors directly impacted my parents decision regarding a possible purchase of a house in a RURAL TOWN of 700 people in New Hampshire. The house in question was in what I would call a "rural neighborhood with heavy treecover." The house across the street from the property they were thinking about purchasing literally had 8-10 light fixtures on including 3-4 on an antique barn. The fixtures also contained multiple bulbs. Needless to say, they nixed the deal based on the extreme light pollution of a possible neighbor. Some people really should stay in the city where few people mind light pollution. In addition, this town of 700 people has no crime, no diversity, and has a very high household income.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One thing that really irks me is why some people have to turn on 8-10 outside lights out in the country in an area that has no crime to speak of. I think that many people could care less about their neighbors thoughts these days.
When we were putting our homestead together we told the electric company we did not want one of those god-awful security lights. They looked at us like we had three eyes.

I love the dark. If I want to traverse the property in the middle of the night I have a flashlight. I can turn it off and look at the stars if I want to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When we were putting our homestead together we told the electric company we did not want one of those god-awful security lights. They looked at us like we had three eyes.

I love the dark. If I want to traverse the property in the middle of the night I have a flashlight. I can turn it off and look at the stars if I want to.

20yrsinBranson

At least most security lights have a sensor. What I can't stand are the darn mercury vapor lights on wooden poles that have a shattered or missing shade. Those things blind me and they scatter light everywhere.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM

748 posts, read 976,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This issue with high rural output by surrounding neighbors directly impacted my parents decision regarding a possible purchase of a house in a RURAL TOWN of 700 people in New Hampshire. The house in question was in what I would call a "rural neighborhood with heavy treecover." The house across the street from the property they were thinking about purchasing literally had 8-10 light fixtures on including 3-4 on an antique barn. The fixtures also contained multiple bulbs. Needless to say, they nixed the deal based on the extreme light pollution of a possible neighbor. Some people really should stay in the city where few people mind light pollution. In addition, this town of 700 people has no crime, no diversity, and has a very high household income.
This is why my wife & I need to look to truly rural to buy some land. We would love to buy a mobile home on a large piece of property. One passive-aggressive neighbor can rock/ruin our simple world. We have saved all our lives & we are ready & willing to spend big time, & contribute to the US economy.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
This is why my wife & I need to look to truly rural to buy some land. We would love to buy a mobile home on a large piece of property. One passive-aggressive neighbor can rock/ruin our simple world. We have saved all our lives & we are ready & willing to spend big time, & contribute to the US economy.
Well, this area was pretty rural and it was ONE NEIGHBOR who ruined it by lighting the area up like a box store. It is a good thing they checked the property out at night before putting in a possible offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living