U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM

748 posts, read 976,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Never realized there were that many people spending that much time --star gazing

I imagine that is the favorite pastime in Roswel Mew Mexico also.
I can't think of anything else a parent can do with a child these days. The disconnect with parent/child can be dampened by stargazing together. There's even very good computerized telescopes to keep the kids engaged all for under $500.00.

Disclosure: I don't have children & my 10" DOB is manually operated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM

20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - Sarah Williams

Complete poem found here.

Marmac, I grew up on 800 acres in East Texas until I was 10. That acreage was surrounded by much more acreage. Wandered over hill and dale and through the woods, day and night (and, yes, occasionally did some star-gazing, with and without a telescope). There were a few outdoor lights that were only on when people were actually doing things outside - they were turned off when we went inside, just as the lights inside the house were turned off when we went to bed.

So I know what we're losing.

If you've bothered to read the links, you'll understand what light pollution is, and it's not your neighbor's lights falling directly upon your property. If you haven't, it's because you don't want to educate yourself and just want to argue.

By the way, this conversation came to mind last night when I was driving on the highway with the closest car behind me some half a mile away. I noticed (which I hadn't paid much attention to before) that the inside of my truck quite surprisingly lit up, so much so that I checked the rear view mirror to see if a car was coming up right behind me. The lights weren't just visible at that distance, they were actually "falling upon" the inside of my truck. So much for that argument.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
--" that gives you some special rights to dictate what others want ? "

pot meets kettle

Seems to me this thread is full of posters who want to dictate what their neighbors do.

Maybe this is why in many rural farm areas--"homesteaders"--are looked upon as a joke and as people who want to dictate what their neighbors do based on--star gazing .

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
--" that gives you some special rights to dictate what others want ? "

pot meets kettle

Seems to me this thread is full of posters who want to dictate what their neighbors do.

Maybe this is why in many rural farm areas--"homesteaders"--are looked upon as a joke and as people who want to dictate what their neighbors do based on--star gazing .
Marmac, direct question: Did you click on the link provided, did you spend any time actually reading what light pollution is? For that matter, have you actually read the posts? Several of us have said that we're not trying to get laws passed, we're simply complaining about inconsiderate people. Also, while there has been mention of the stars at night, there have also been mentions of things enjoyed in darkness that have nothing to do with star gazing. You've fixated on that one thing to the point that you don't seem to be able to hear anything else.

Also, another direct question asked before: How much lighting do you have on all night at your place?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM

32,252 posts, read 13,263,240 times
I live in the country, always have. There is a street,no street lights. I have 1 acre, my Dad next door has 9. I have one security light on the side of the garage pointed down so when I come home in the dark there is a little light on the driveway.
Most people around here have them in the back or attached to a barn or something but never more than one.
When I drive home at night I don't like to see a dark house and property, I like to see signs of life. A little light in the window or something. Maybe I am paranoid, but I am older and single and I just feel better if people think someone is home.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 AM

A light in the window is no problem at all and, indeed, warm and welcoming. That's not what we're talking about here at all. I do like to drive through the countryside (or, indeed, down the highway) and see a light in a window here and there in the darkness.

But if you're doing it for security reasons so people will "think someone is home", you might want to set up a couple of lights in different rooms on timers when you're gone so that it REALLY looks like someone is home and moving about in the house, turning the lights on and off as they go.

A porch light is no real problem, either, as far as light pollution is concerned, both because it's shaded from above and so doesn't scatter light into the night sky and because porch lights, while providing light, don't tend to be blinding. It's the security lights of certain kinds that can cause problems down here on the ground. One neighbor put in a security light over his storage building that is not only exceedingly bright and unshielded, but aimed in such a way that it points at the road right where there is a double curve. Coming up on oit is much like coming up on someone with their brights on, and I can pretty much guarantee that when, not if, someone has a wreck at that curve because they were blinded, the insurance carrier is going to be coming after him for contributory negligence.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM

32,252 posts, read 13,263,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A light in the window is no problem at all and, indeed, warm and welcoming. That's not what we're talking about here at all. I do like to drive through the countryside (or, indeed, down the highway) and see a light in a window here and there in the darkness.

But if you're doing it for security reasons so people will "think someone is home", you might want to set up a couple of lights in different rooms on timers when you're gone so that it REALLY looks like someone is home and moving about in the house, turning the lights on and off as they go.

A porch light is no real problem, either, as far as light pollution is concerned, both because it's shaded from above and so doesn't scatter light into the night sky and because porch lights, while providing light, don't tend to be blinding. It's the security lights of certain kinds that can cause problems down here on the ground. One neighbor put in a security light over his storage building that is not only exceedingly bright and unshielded, but aimed in such a way that it points at the road right where there is a double curve. Coming up on oit is much like coming up on someone with their brights on, and I can pretty much guarantee that when, not if, someone has a wreck at that curve because they were blinded, the insurance carrier is going to be coming after him for contributory negligence.
Oh that wouldn't be good at all!! I think while driving home at night I will pay more attention to where people have their security lights!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,840,288 times
Quote:
Have you always had reading comprehension problems? Or are you just intentionally obtuse and truculent? Finding a middle ground/compromise that suits both parties does not = dictating.

Quote:
Ah, the good ole "we were here first, and we have been doing things this way; they are new around here and we don't like their way of life." Because as we all know, the way things have been done in the past is always the right way. Carry on. I'm just glad I live by people who feel differently.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah, the good ole "we were here first, and we have been doing things this way; they are new around here and we don't like their way of life." Because as we all know, the way things have been done in the past is always the right way. Carry on. I'm just glad I live by people who feel differently.
Well, this thread started because people were moving into the area and adding lots of lights where they weren't before presumably because they're afraid of the dark or under the erroneous impression that more light = less crime. (And don't have a clue about light pollution.)

When I moved to the country, I did my due diligence about the new (well, returned to) way of life, and decided that if I'd missed something, I'd figure that I'd have to be the one to adjust since I was the one who moved in.

Way too few people do that or have that attitude and think that where they moved to needs to adjust to accommodate them.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,840,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Way too few people do that or have that attitude and think that where they moved to needs to adjust to accommodate them.
True. Regardless of whether it is newcomers or old-timers, to arbitrarily say that "This is how we do it, and so we will continue to do so, regardless of how it impacts others" seems naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living